Obrianmcc Adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by obrianmcc, Jun 26, 2016.

1. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to admit that it is well towards the end of June and I have little to post in regards to 2016 rides. My DRZ has been sitting patiently in the garage awaiting it's turn for much anticipated dirt time ... hopefully I can soon start to accommodate it's needs of gulping air and burning fuel!

.... stay tuned!
  2. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late April .... the rain has cleared and I'm contacted by a friend to make a day loop over Immigrant Pass and through Prairie. Ended up being a beautiful day for a ride!

April Extreme .... Read Here

[​IMG]
    waylongway, AZ TOM and Aj Mick like this.
  3. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting trip, thanks for the link.
  4. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! This brings back memories. Back in the middle 80's a buddy and I flyfished the Southfork until thunderstorms ran us off the river then drove my B210 up to Prairie for lunch. Chip had heard of a "shortcut" down to the Middle Fork so off we went. Now I know that was the Long Gulch route. Washouts, wildcat fences and downed trees made it a real adventure. Thanks for posting! dd
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondered where you been!
  6. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right before all the wildfires sparked up ... I completed a day loop back around Pinyon Peak. We completed an overnight around the same loop last Sept, but in the opposite direction. So with clear air in the forecast to guarantee awesome views ... off I went.

Part one

[​IMG]
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  7. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been a slow year in regards to riding .... very bad, I know ! :(
  8. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    FamilyRider likes this.
  9. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    FamilyRider likes this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with you on the manned lookouts. Been several years ago now, but when I rode up to the Silver Creek Lookout the person working there would not even look at us. I felt extremely unwelcome, snapped a quick photo and moved on. Barely stopped for the picture. This lookout was the most unwelcoming so far in my travels but others are fighting for a close second. But I get where they are coming from since not all people who visit are such nice people like you and me!:lol3

There is one short section of the ridge road around Pinyon lookout which drops off on each side of the road. That place gets me A55 cheeks to pucker for sure.
  11. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Track over Pinyon ... into Loon

Part 4

[​IMG]
  12. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely different when I was growing up ... but then the attendants were actual uniformed USFS ... I know that not all attendants are stand-offish. Back when my son was actually riding I took him up to Sunset LO where the gal working the LO was very welcoming and invited us up to the deck to visit. I like to hang out and enjoy the view without the feeling that I'm intruding in someone else's space ....
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the descent down between Pinyon L.O. but before the mine you visited which is posted now, was an old miners cabin. 20 years ago we went inside the cabin and there was evidence someone had lived there in more modern times. Last time through the area, sometime between 5-10 years ago, I couldn't find the cabin. I think a fire had gone through there probably burning the cabin.

Of course, just because I can't find something doesn't necessarily mean it is gone. Could still be there but you make no mention of it so I guess it's gone. You could see it from the road in some trees way back when.

RE Sunset L.O.: Probably the same lady was there when we visited some years back. Yes, very friendly and she offered us some fresh cherries. On another trip, there was a lady at the Jackson Mtn. L.O. (if I'm naming it correctly). The lookout which turns off the main road to Graham. Anyway, she was nice and offered an orange to me. Both of these ladies were very nice and because of them if we know we are riding up to a lookout we take something we can give the lookout. Ain't worked out yet as they're either unmanned or unfriendly. If the unfriendlies would just say hi we'd offer them some fresh fruit!

My best experiences at lookouts were at Sturgill Mtn. and NBusinessss lookouts. Both gave us tours when the crowds departed. Guess it pays to not ride with a large group sometimes.

Anyway, thanks for posting your update. The snowbank would have turned me around but I know what you mean about trying to push on. Even when we shouldn't.:D
  14. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Track over Pinyon ... Loon Creek Summit

Part 5

[​IMG]
    MadRider777 and AZ TOM like this.
  15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!
  16. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Track over Pinyon - Sunbeam

Part 6

[​IMG]
    MadRider777 and TheAdmiral like this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first time in the Sunbeam, Bonanza, and Custer area was in 1975. I don't think we even stopped at the Bonanza area. I've not seen the cemetery you showed and would like to see that the next time I'm in the area. Good ride!
  18. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's kind of tucked away ... I've been by a number of times not knowing it was there. There is also a pretty nice camp ground behind the guard station ....
  19. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two track over Pinyon - Back to the truck

Part 7

[​IMG]
  20. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    May 2017 ... we've had a tough winter here in the PNW. Snow packs well above the normal mark make for interesting and challenging route selections ... this ride, back in May, was to get a feel for where the snow was lingering and how it is going to effect our riding this season in terms of snow pack and road damage.

Follow along with May Wandering

[​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim, lvscrvs and FamilyRider like this.