Obrianmcc Adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by obrianmcc, Jun 26, 2016.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice start to 2017. I've never seen those steps either :)
  2. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx ... it is funny how you can pass right by something multiple times and then one day .... "Oh, where did that come from"
  3. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ..... back at it, part two ... over the hill

Read Here

[​IMG]
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Squirrel equestrian carving...funny!
  5. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have been out having fun!
  6. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    As we sit indoors within winters grip, I thought it would be a good time to catch up on some past rides. This next one is a quick day loop we took sometime in June through the mountains north of Crouch Idaho. We had a full spectrum of weather thrown at us, but as a testiment to having the proper gear we stayed dry and comfortable the entire day ....

In search of new roads - Take 1

[​IMG]

“True adventure lies in the road ahead”

I find myself always chasing new roads. Paved roads, dirt roads, improved roads, primitive roads, forest roads …. all roads that lead around the next corner or over the next hill. These are the roads that make adventure. Riding over those hills and around those curves feeds our curiosity to continue riding forward. It entices that seeded sense of exploration that all of us have in one shape or form.

Read the rest here ....
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  7. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    In search of new roads - 2nd Half

Once the bikes are properly fueled, or at least the DRZ since the mighty 690 is a tanker .... we headed north along the river. The days forecast called for potential showers of which thus far we have been spared. Until now ....

[​IMG]

With the rain starting to fall one would expect moral to drop, but in this case the opposite was true. The rain seemed to transform a section of road I have only had the privilege to pass in the dustiest of conditions. With proper gear worn and water on the road .... the experience was .... different ... and almost refreshing.

Left or Right (Click here to find out)
  8. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    In search of new roads - Tres

[​IMG]

After a burger at the Cougar Mountain Lodge we jumped the Hwy onto FR 626, which is a nice gravel road that climbs up towards Sage Hen Reservoir.

Read the rest here ....
    MadRider777 and TheAdmiral like this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a family friend who lives in High Valley. We've ridden our mules and TW's quite a bit up there. ...until the Texas brothers, DF Development bought some of the land last owned by Potlatch Lumber. This ended our riding on most of the east side of High Valley. Grrrrr!

There is, as of a couple years ago, a short 7 mile-ish single track from the top of the summit heading towards Sage Hen. Takes you up towards Tripod L.O. then a bunch of non-motorized trails connects. Takes you back down (south) and connects to the ATV trail system on the north side of the reservoir.

Your route on this day was less stressful.
  10. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Playing catch up yet again ... this is a ride that we concluded the 2017 season with. Ended up being a great day ... 200 plus miles .... cool weather ... and fantastic country to be riding through!

Read more on our loop here

[​IMG]
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  11. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been following along the IDBDR thread here and saw questions being asked about the Barber Flat Bridge. The riders doing the IDBDR route call it the "50 inch bridge". Guess they don't know or think to say it's at Barber Flat. I was surprised it had been restricted to 50". I'm even more surprised the Forest Service even repaired it. Then again I didn't even know it was damaged until I rode through it a year or two ago and saw those cement barriers.

I like smooth trails and so many of the single track trails are now full of whoops. Rode this past winter out on the Owyhee Front trails and that's what many have become. OK for a short distance but when you have whoops on and on and on, oofta. Saw the same thing on some easy single track trails in San Rafael Swell down in Utah. Whoop-dee-do's for ever, ugh.

Thanks for the update, great riding country. Just got to watch out for all the IDBDR riders. :lol3
  13. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised they repaired the bridge as well .... still not sure why. Agree on the trail conditions .... as the overall community grows so does the use to the trails. Whoops do tend to be an unfortunate result. I do hope all the IDBDR riders are finding favorable roads and trails in their path!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  14. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chased by the frost .... Part 3

[​IMG]
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  15. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part 4 coming up ...
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've been through Rocky Bar since the mid 1990's. I wouldn't even know what had changed. I'm drawn to ghost towns but for some reason Rocky Bar didn't thrill me. Must have been the no trespassing signs. I hate those unless I owned those places. Then I could probably understand. :D
  17. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much there other than a couple of buildings .... we recently visited Bayhorse State Park ... much more interesting..... Cinnabar being more remote is very cool
  18. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  19. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The final stretch .... better a year late than not at all!

Read here

[​IMG]
    Scoozi and TheAdmiral like this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is an awesome picture. I remember when this road washed out and was blocked from travel for a while. I'm glad they fixed it. Thanks for sharing.

[​IMG]