Obsessive-Compulsive South American Trip Preparation

Discussion in 'Americas' started by porkandcorn, Sep 8, 2012.

1. porkandcorn

porkandcorn FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer:
    need some more specific info about which of these 2 possible routes to take if anyone could provide some input. if i have it all wrong and need to do something else, let me know!

OPTION 1: paso san francisco - bahia englesa - antofagasta - atacama desert - san salvador de jujuy via paso de jama to villazon - uyuni - potosi - sucre - santa cruz, bolivia

OPTION 2: paso san francisco - bahia englesa - antofagasta - atacama desert - iquique - arica - lauca national park - oruru - uyuni - sucre - santa cruz, bolivia

google map of options 2: Cordoba, Argentina to Santa Cruz, Bolivia - Google Maps

thanks. fritz.
  2. BrzGSAdv

BrzGSAdv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! I also had doubts about connect vs simple spot but believe Connect creates the additional hurdle of the cell phone dependence and when it comes to safety, less ir more... so I think I wil keep it simple and use SPOT.

Best,
    Rafa

PS Do let me know if anything changes and you end up riding north of Floripa.

3. porkandcorn

Oddometer:
    to be accurate, the spot connect's tracking and SOS features do work completely independent of the smart phone, just like the normal spot device.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I had a Spot tracker for several years and was happy with it. Since I ride by myself, even if it missed a tracking point or two, I would have been world's better off if I augered in somewhere and knocked myself out vs. having nothing or even an Epirb. I considered the Spot Connect but then I ran into a friend that had a Delorme inReach. It operates something like the Spot Connect in that you pair it with a bluetooth smartphone to send custom texts (160 characters iirc). And it does messaging, tracking, and 911 stuff just like the Spot. The big advantage with the inReach is you can also receive texts. Also when paired with my smartphone, I can see where I am on Delorme maps downloaded into my smartphone. This will make it a great backup to my Garmin 478. I have no clue how Delorme's South America maps are but I will find out.
  5. BrzGSAdv

BrzGSAdv Adventurer

Oddometer:

I think knowing if Delorne works in SA is key!! I live around here... won't help Porkandcorn here since he cleary chose SPOT and hopefully he won't get mad at me for steeling bandwith at his thread to have this paralel discussion!! :D
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'm confident the tracking/messaging of the inReach will work as well or better than the Spot as it uses the Iridium satellites vs the Globalstar satellites for the Spot. As for the Delorme maps, maybe someone else can comment on those maps. Porkandcorn and I can do some side by side testing of the Spot vs. inReach when we pick up our bikes. 8^)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  7. yotes65

yotes65 n00b

Oddometer:
    Porkandcorn – Thanks for all of the research you have done. Just in the past few weeks I’d developed the urge to ride through Central America & South America down to Tierra del Fuego and back up to Buenos Aires and ship my bike home from there. I’m looking forward to following your adventure & hearing how the Tiger 800xc works out as well as the total cost for your trip.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I currently have two Triumphs’; a 2002 Daytona 955i & a 2008 Sprint ST. I’m thinking of selling my Daytona and pick up a Dual Sport bike. Haven’t decided which bike I will be going with yet.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Like someone else already posted, I won’t be making this trip until 2014-2015. I’m hoping to convince my younger brother to make this trip with me. :freaky<o:p></o:p>
  8. porkandcorn

Oddometer:
    hey yotes65: thanks for following along. it was only one year ago this time when i cooked up this whole plan, and it just takes a bit of determination to see it through.

BrzGSAdv: é tranquilo, cara!... i did this preparation report to help other people out. perguntas boas sao sempre bienvinidos!
  9. Boro128

Boro128 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great read.

Thank you!
  10. porkandcorn

Oddometer:
    since this is a trip prep report is for the greatest of geeks, here's a final prep post before i switch gears (and threads) over to my ride report which i'll start tonight.

3 gallon (L) ziplocks - get em!!

fantastic way to still look and smell civilized, regardless of how long you've been living out of a duffle bag or pannier. i separate my cloths into categories and label the bags. my favorite part of the process is sitting on the bags while i seal the double zip to get all the air out, which makes your clothes surprizingly compact. your butt makes a great vacuum sealer! things come out of the bags un-wrinkled and smelling like that cute downy bear you see on tv. provided you have a couple dedicated bags set aside for your nasty, funky, dirties that you haven't washed for a week. i've also found that it makes coming and going much more efficient - you just pull it off the bike, lock up your panniers, and you have everything you need for an overnight stay.

i will make one admission - i moved up from the ortlieb 60 liter duffle to the ortlieb 85 liter. it's huge, but it got a lot of room for expansion in case i need to put my tank bag, my shoulder bag, and my toiletry bag and throw them all on my back with it's backpack straps while i go through a border crossing or whatever. or i could put a dead body in it, and that's a nice option to have.

[​IMG]
    butt-vacuumed t-shirts by porkandcorn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    ortlieb 85L contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    ortlieb compression strap by porkandcorn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    ortlieb 85L all packed by porkandcorn, on Flickr
  11. porkandcorn

Oddometer:
    thanks to everyone who's followed along and subscribed to this trip preparation thread. i'm switching over to my ride report, as i have started my journey. i'll only be posting at this thread to answer questions that come from people who stumble across it. otherwise, if you'd like to keep following my actual south america trip, here is the new ride report to subscribe to. nos vemos!

PORKANDCORN: A Man & His Duck Explore South America
  12. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saying if you are obsessive and compulsive at least spell Colombia with the O it deserves:deal You will see that more when you arrive there on your motorbike:clap Pure Heaven on a Bike!

Don't plan the ride too much, let a lot of it just happen; making a tight schedule will just leave you disappointed imho.

Goodluck
  13. porkandcorn

Oddometer:
    ha! from now on, i will. enough of these "U"s!
  14. porkandcorn

Oddometer:
    i've been struggling with the tedium of posting mirrored reports from ADV/HUBB over to Blogger/Blogspot - which i decided after some research was the easiest place to do a stand-alone blog. as many of you know, ADV to HUBB is easy - just copy and paste the "code" from the edit/compose page and plop it in the other edit/compose page. but this was not working from ADV/HUBB to Blogger/Blogspot. the html code was scrambling, the photo/video links were breaking, and i was a general pain in the ass.

(incidentally, i use Flickr to host my photos, and YouTube to host my videos. it's been working great. Flickr does charge $25.00/year to host any photo count over 200, so be aware you are locking yourself into that.)

i was talking about this annoyance with fletch, crested butte-rtw (ADV), and he figured out a solution by accident in the last year of his blogging. he is now my hero, because he has saved me and possibly many more who read this, the pain of re-doing every ADV/HUBB entry on Blogger/Blogspot. thank you fletch.

so it's actually really simple. too simple:

1. after you publish your entry on ADV or HUBB, just select and (copy) the text and photos from the actual public view page:

[​IMG]
    adv select by porkandcorn, on Flickr

2. then, in your Blogger/Blogspot edit/compose page, just freaking paste it in there.

3. if you use the Asylum 2.0 page layout (the black one) like i do on ADV, it will make the text white and the background black when you paste into Blogger/Blogspot. to correct this, simply select the entire post in Blogger/Blogspot and use the text and background menu drop-downs to change the background to white, and the text to black.

[​IMG]
    blogger select by porkandcorn, on Flickr

4. you're done. might be a couple of spacing issues to fine tune, but it's a hell of a lot easier than doing it from scratch. it will probably work on other blog platforms like Tumblr, etc.

everyone who has been struggling with this like i have, owes fletch a beer.

[​IMG]
    blogger page by porkandcorn, on Flickr
  15. Benwheel

Benwheel n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this thread is too old, but I'm curious what your experience was like shipping w/ Schumacher? I've heard good things about them and was considering giving them a call (coming from Western US). Seems to be a limited number of options and I haven't been felt great about many of them outside of A1 Auto Transport and I'm still figuring out if i want to go with them.