October 14-16 Razorback Riders Present The 2nd Annual Rally @ the Rock in Combs, AR

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by kendall_smith, Mar 10, 2016.

1. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    We will email all the tracks out before the rally so you can look them over. We may add more too, but here are the descriptions. If they have 2016 behind the track name it is new for this year if not it is one of the best ones from last year.

Big bike east 2016: this is probably going to be an all-day ride so leave in the morning.

145 miles of mostly mellow and fun scenic gravel with the potential for several water crossings, tight steep switchbacks, and minimal pavement at the beginning, middle, and the end. There are a few short rough spots but nothing technical, no big ledges or log hops.

Riding clockwise at about 1/3 of the way you’ll reach low gap café at about 45 miles or riding counter clockwise you’ll reach Oark at about 45 miles for gas and food and another 5 (counter clockwise) miles or so puts you in at the Catlapha café (highly recommended lunch/pie stop). The only gas stop is in Oark at 100 miles or 45 miles depending on direction of travel. This track has some very fun roads. This is a great ride on a big bike or a fun day trip on a smaller dual sport too. Kendal and Rob rode this track in 8 hours with a lunch stop and not in any hurry. We saw a lot of deer, turkey, and even a bear on this track. We both really enjoyed it.

Side trips: this track takes you past the trailhead for Whitaker point. It is one of the most photographed places in AR. It is a 3 mile round trip hike for anyone up to the task.

This track also takes you briefly through Boxley Valley If you are riding through this area in the morning or evening taking the pavement 12 miles round trip to Ponca and back you will likely see some Elk. This side trip is in the 100 mile gas to gas section but gas is available at the Buffalo outdoor center in Ponca. The next track will lead you to Ponca from tis track.

This track could be run clockwise or counter clockwise. It depends on where you want to stop for lunch.

Ponca and back to BB east: this is a add on for the above track it will take you to Ponca and you follow the same way back to the BB East track. If you are riding through at the right time to see elk or need gas.

88 miles Easy 2016: Nice easy cruise on some scenic gravel roads. You will pass the Combs store that has gas and food quickly if you ride counter clockwise and near the end if you run counter clockwise. This track is nearly all dirt roads with a little pavement and no trails.

Catalpa and back RAR 2016: This 96 mile ride takes you to the catalpa café (an excellent lunch spot). This track is set up to be easier or harder depending on direction of travel. If you ride counter clockwise you’ll hit some rougher trail directly out of camp. You’ll ride part of the blue loop to connect to some fun roads and switch back from road to trail to a little pavement too. After lunch you can ride back the same way you came if you enjoyed the trails or you can continue the loop on some fun easier gravel with several creek crossings (depending on rain). If you ride clockwise out of camp you’ll ride a little pavement to St. Paul then hit the fun roads to Catalpa. Once in Catalpa you can turn around and ride the same way back if you want more of the same or continue the loop to the harder stuff (it’s a lot of fun). Gas is available in Oark. The Oark Café is also a pretty good lunch/pie spot.

West med bike: this 149 mile track takes you to White Rock Park and Natural Dam. It is mostly mellow but has 2 more technical sections on Warloop and on Pannell Road. Signs may say that Warloop road is closed or a dead end but unless a tree has recently fallen it goes through. Be sure not to miss your turn to the natural dam loop. This track is a figure 8 with one of the loops being much smaller. It can be easy to blow by your turn and miss that whole loop. Gas and food is available when you cross hwy 71.

RR little bike west track: This 67 miles of smiles track is fun and gnarly in a lot of places. This is the most difficult track. It will take you to Frog Bayou via roads and trail. It has a little single track, some atv trail, and can be very rocky in places. It now also has some sections of really well-groomed gravel in the middle of nowhere. They have reworked some of these roads in preparation for logging in the area. This is one of the more difficult tracks. Pack a lunch there are no gas or food stops.

RAR to Fay 2016: This is the easiest track of them all. It is 85 miles of a lot of twisty pavement and easy gravel with a few easy creek crossings (rain dependent). This track goes to Fayetteville. I originally put this together when we had plans to hold the rally the same weekend at Bikes Blues &BBQ in case anyone wanted to see that show. I rode this on my V Strom 1000 with street tires. I enjoyed this track on the V Strom but I think it only took me about 3 hours. I figured I might as well include it since I took the time to put it together.

Mike Taylor ride: Mike is a club member and is willing to lead a few folks on a nice easier ride around the area not on these tracks. If you want to ride around with Mike we can talk about what you’d like to see and how far you’d like to go. He is very knowledgeable of the area.

Mike Ward ride: Mike is another club member with a good knowledge of the area that is going to be guiding folks on rides not included in these tracks. He is willing to head out on some trail, some DS and some ADV, depending on who all wanted to do what.

Single track: Single track rides will be led by John and we will not be giving out GPS tracks for these. The main focus of this rally is Dual sport. Some of the trails are on private property that our club has permission to use. John will lead some single track rides. You’ll need to be a decent rider on a lighter bike set up for tight woods, gnarly single track. This is not for the beginner rider. If you want to ride more single track with us we have an event called WUDI fun ride in the spring that’s main focus is single track riding.

The Blue loop: The Mill Creek Trail system can be reached by riding directly out of camp. There is a kiosk in our camp behind the shower building before the single track bridge that also has info and a map of the system. They call it a trail but I think of it as more of a fun road. It is very wide in most places. It can have its challenging spots and the water breaks force you to keep the speed down in most places. There are several nice waterfalls along the blue loop when it has recently rained.
    Dao1, ClintG, RGoree and 1 other person like this.
  2. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Thanks Rob, lots of good info there^^. Can the little bike west route be navigated by folks who don't have gps capability, but have the good Ozark/ St. Francis printed trail maps ?
  3. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    Maybe.

Chances are someone from the club will go one day or another rider attending the rally will have a gps. Last year people made friends from other places and rode together.
  4. JerryMac

JerryMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to this event last year. I was from out of state, but the hospitality was outstanding. Anyone from out of state that is on the fence can rest assured that you will be made to feel welcome and will experience some of the best riding in the Midwest.
  5. ClintG

ClintG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just registered and paid! I'm looking forward to it. This will be my first rally on a Dual Sport. Went to Rick's Rendezvous last year on my cruiser.
    I'll be riding from Alabama with JonO. Are camping spots assigned or first come first serve? I'd like for us to be able set up camp together.
    BigDeal and kendall_smith like this.
  6. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:

There shouldn't be any problem with that. Our campground is pretty big and the turnout for the rally won't come close to taxing it, especially for tent camping. There are plenty of RV spaces as well, so no worries there either.
    ClintG and BigDeal like this.
  7. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
  8. Jamisen

Jamisen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just paid, really looking forward to this
    BigDeal and ClintG like this.
  9. ClintG

ClintG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! Cant wait!
    BigDeal likes this.
  10. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Gonna have a bonfire area?
  11. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    yep, we have a large fire ring. we also have a wood burning stove in the clubhouse for colder nights.
  12. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Jerry said Great Ride... Great People.... Great area.... wish we cud make it again.. BUT got a Big Family commitment... Maybe next year.. have Fun
    BigDeal likes this.
  13. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Then is most peeps arriving?? Thursday evening?? Ride Friday, Saturday, head home on Sunday??

Smitty
  14. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is mixed. Some are able to get off Friday so they come in Thursday night. Another batch comes in Friday night. Sunday is the same. Some pack up and head home in the morning and others get to ride Sunday.
    BigDeal likes this.
  15. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Great, I will be there Thursday late afternoon. Bringing the 690 and the 300.

Smitty
    BigDeal likes this.
  16. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    Friday, Sat and Sun are the official days. Bamamate is right about the arrivial and departure of riders. For most it depends on how far away they are coming from. I'll be out there Thursday morning sometime before lunch to check in any early arrivals. If you show up Thursday there is no extra charge for tent campers unless you are using the hookups and the $25 a night for campers using the hookups.
    smitty141 likes this.
  17. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    Thanks to one of our sponsors Klim this is one of the door prizes.
    Jamisen and bamamate like this.
  18. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have these tracks been emailed out to people yet? If so I haven't got any emails. My email address may be wrong from my PayPal.
  19. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    not yet. pm me your real name and email and I'll check the list. we are getting more signups each day especially as it gets closer. Just waiting so I can do it almost all at once.
  20. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent.