Odds of crossing into canada without being stopped?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by learningtofly, Jul 31, 2009.

1. learningtofly

learningtofly n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    So a buddy and i were thinking of taking a trip north into canada and ultimately get to alaska. But due to some teenage things gone wrong for my buddy he had a few run ins with the law in his younger days and i know canada can be real $%&*'s about letting people with records in. I have read about the legal ways, and going through proper channels, but it all means spening money to do so, and can be a lot of time to get an actual result. So that being said with the new passport rules does that mean they will automatically catch everyone with a record upon entry? or is it like it always has been, hit and miss, luck fo the draw? And if we do get in, go to alaska, then head home and get stopped then, then what the helk would we do?? I realize there may not be a solid answer, i am just getting opinions of people who have been recently, and maybe even have had young and dumb days themselevs but didnt have an issue crossing recently? And FYI, unfortunetly for my buddy it is not a misdemenaor following him for the last 10 years.. ahhh to be young again,,haha.
    P.S. and for the hell of it, anyone have advice on more lax border crossing into canada if we wanted to increase out odds !! haha.
    thanks for any advice or info
  2. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two experiences from my buddies:

2 Teenagers crossing Canada years ago, hit the border- Canadian agents want to see a credit card or $500 cash "to insure they don't break down or exit as planned". They are turned around.
    Approx. 15 years later-- now 35+ year old is asked when entering Canada: "Have you ever been denied access crossing into Canada?"
    Answer: "NO" didn't remember it. Pulled over to the secondary for about 15 minutes answering questions from Canadian agents on "Why did you lie?".

2nd story: American stopped, run his license plate, see he had a DUI years before. Told he had to post a bond before entry allowed (I think about $500). NON-refundable, DUI is a felony in Canada.
    Advise: It's a crap shoot. I have been more pissed being questioned entering Canada the anywhere I have ever traveled, and I've been many, many countries.
    I don't think the Canadian immigratiion people really like Americans-- they don't give a damn about lost tourist revenue.

If I ever get asked more questions on guns again I'll have a stroke! They are complete ass-holes: "Do you own guns?" "How many do you have?" "Why do you have guns?" etc. etc.:puke1 :puke1

My 20+ trips into Canada continue to get worse & worse. I suggest Baja-- no hassle- no BS!!

Probably best bet is to contact their nearest Consulate Office and find out specifics.

Lee Ullmann:wink:
  3. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Where do you keep your handgun?" Was another question I got as I entered Canada this past June.
    This was after I responded to the negative as to having any handguns with me.
    I agree they've gotten a whole lot worse in recent years, first class cunts, worse than Americans cusstoons as I can see.
  4. Mr Baggins

Mr Baggins Stinky Feet

Oddometer:
    You should had told him "Right next to my rocket launcher" :lol3
    They asked me all the same stuff.
    They did not check any of my paper work.
    So i dont know how they could tell who i really was.
  5. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer:
    I've read so many of these horror stories that if I ever get the urge to ride in Alaska, I think I'll catch the ferry at Seattle or perhaps fly up and rent a KLR from one of the companies in Alaska catering to dual sporters.

Screw all that hoopla and their bureaucratic obsessions.
  6. learningtofly

learningtofly n00b

Oddometer:
    hey
    Yes i agree, it seems quite bass akwards. And from what i have read we (usa) do the same to canadian citizens coming here, we have the same rules. Maybe its tit for tat? I just dont see how stopping a man with a dui when he was 18 (now45) is making canada (or the U.S) any safer?
  7. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I understand why they are dicks. They don't want white trash coming into their country, liking the cleanliness, staying and then trashing it so it looks like home. Its a whole different world crossing from Port Huron to Sarnia. I can't believe how clean and well kept it is over there. Even their half of the river is cleaner. To answer your question, if in doubt stay home.
  8. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer:
    It's not the DUI, so much, as the classification of DUI as a felony crime.

While we're pretty nasty to DUI fools, the "felony" label is what the border guys see, and that means by Canadian stanards, the crime could well be anythign from multiple murders, rape, assault with a firearm, or other such heinous things.

As for the gun thing, well, yah. We don't have a populace armed with handguns and eager to use 'em. But we still have handguns, and they come to us from south of the border.... so naturally, we're a bit uppity.

Yet every year, some fool crosses into Canada with a handgun, and wonders why a simple traffic stop turns into a SWAT-style takedown, major fines, deportings and the like.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess another question might be: How far back do these records go ?

I'm 60 years old, but there are a couple of things that happened when I was 19.

I did fly into Calgary back in '04 and stayed for a week with no questions asked.
  10. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    Well, the results of the American cusstoons is plain to be seen if you go to any city in the country and watch our social services being sucked dry.
  11. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    you must visit a different Sarnia than I do. Becuase I see zip difference between the two sides when I visit Port Huron and travel to Canada. You should also talk to my brother-in-law who lives there full time. Back when the currency exchange was different the Canadians used to come over the the US side to go shopping. To avoid customs they would wear old clothes and change to the newly purchased ones in the parking lot. The old clothes, packaging and such would get left all over the parking lot. :becca

so what was that about white trash. :ddog

Yankee Dog
  12. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    You never know I travel to that country quite a bit each year and it is crap shoot. do you feel lucky. If it were me I would not do it with out going through the right channels. but what the fu#$ all they can do is say no. they can not conviced you again. Who needs that shit anyway. I say go somewhere else as to not get f-ing hassled, coming back is worse sometimes.:deal
  13. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Slim and None! You have to have a passport now to enter any country that is not the U.S. or to re-enter the U.S. That means Mexico or Canada are going to ask for a passport when entering and when coming back you will be asked to show proof of residency, ie passport, or a visa... guess what is stamped along with that passport!
  14. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    oops looks like the rules are only for entry or re-entry into the U.S.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
  15. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Too funny, and some wonder why they do what they do.

That being said I have heard if you drive to the west coast you can pay a legal to push your bike across the beach at night. And then you can swim across the bay and pick it up on the other side. Btw you may even be able to work and live in Canada when you get there as long as no one catches you.
  16. bobbyhollywood

bobbyhollywood "...McLovin'?"

Oddometer:
    Take the AMHS ferry from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK! You won't regret it. Pitched a tent on deck and spent the next four days enthralled with the scenery and the ever increasing daylight (this was around July 1st or so).

Except for customs officials, I found the Canadians to be way more friendly than the Alaskans, who were downright surly at times.
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Interesting thread. In my experience, Canadian border officials have always been professional, courteous, and polite. One guy (at a small-town border crossing, of course) was genuinely friendly, chatted with us about our trip, wished us a good time, etc.

It's crossing back into the US that's usually a somewhat unpleasant experience. The American border officials are far more likely to be a bit surly, ask questions that make you feel like you've done something wrong just by daring to venture out of the country, etc.

As to the original post... I guess a lot would depend on when in his teens your buddy committed the crimes. If they're on his juvenile record, I doubt they'll be a problem. But if he was charged as an adult, then chances are he'll be denied entry into Canada. If they're not too serious, it might be worth appealing to the border guard, admitting to being a stupid kid at the time, etc... :dunno

--mark
  18. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    +1

Take the ferry.

:deal
  19. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

FYI, it's EXACTLY the same way going south for us. Sounds like your bud made some bad choices as a kid, why continue? Just do it the right way.
  20. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    I've crossed into Canada dozens of times from British Columbia to New Brunswick.

Canadians have always been friendly and courteous. They have been strict and have a zero tolerance. They demand professional courtesy and as long as you oblige, you shouldn't have any problems.

I doubt your friend will gain entry.

I've been searched, interrogated and held for hours with trucking freight. They've never been rude.

You'll find it a lot more suckage to re-enter the states.

Crossing from Detroit to Windsor is like entering the land of Oz. Even the stink dissappears. No grafitti, the sun comes back out and the beaches are topless.