Odds of crossing into canada without being stopped?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by learningtofly, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Ilikepivo

Ilikepivo Banned

Oddometer:
    I have to comment on that. Winnipeg was an extremely clean city. I rode all over, and maybe there were some bad areas, but I sure didn't see any.

The odd thing was, all the Winnipeg people were suprised that anyone came there for a vacation/short trip. They seem to have an inferiority complex. Why? I don't know, as they have a lot to be proud about their city. I will certainly ride back and spend money. I can't say enough positive things about their city. If they're careful about who they let into Canada, that's their right, and they're doing something right!
  2. Ilikepivo

Ilikepivo Banned

Oddometer:
    Neither Canada last week nor the U.S. on Sunday stamped my passport.

That's becoming more and more common. When I visited the Soviet Union in 1988, they were about the only country to my knowledge that did not stamp passports. My passport also was not stamped entering the U.S this summer from India via Paris.
  3. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a Buffalo,NY native I crossed into Canada hundreds of times. A good friend is a former customs agent. Just keep in mind when they run your plate they almost know what brand of underwear you've got on. No secrets these days.
  4. Ilikepivo

Ilikepivo Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry to post again on this thread, but I had a thought while washing the Canadian bugs off of the GS.

Look, I am not preaching or judging. We've all done things we shouldn't. The point is, what you did, and I don't care what it was, you probably knew it was illegal. Right?

Now, many years later, that illegal act is biting you in the butt (or your friend). Don't compound the mistake by knowingly trying to cross the border if you know you shouldn't. If it's a not sure case, better tell the truth if they ask if you've been arrested. If you lie, you'll never get into Canada, and may keep you from visiting other countries in the future.

If you know by whatever you or your friend did, that they won't let you into Canada, take the time and effort to go through the rehabilitation process. Never, EVER, mess around with border crossings. Things can go tits up and have long term consequences much as you or your friend are now discovering.

Wish you the best of luck. For what it is worth, Canada is worth the time and effort to do things right.
  5. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    If you take the AMHS to Haines you will still have to cross the border to get to the rest of Alaska.

Your only other choice would be to take the "Cross Gulf" ferry to Whittier, Alaska.

If you get to Alaska by road and are denied entry back into Canada your only legal options to get back to the lesser 48 would be...

1. Ship your bike and fly.

2. Ferry from Whittier to Juneau and then to Bellingham.

Both options are not cheap. YMMV
  6. tejasbusa

tejasbusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every time I have been to Canada the Canadians have been very polite, never any problems even the last time when I was on a bike painted like a Texas Flag:lol3 . They looked at my passport (glanced) and asked what I was going to do in Canada. My reply was that my son (I motioned behind me towards my son on his bike) that we were going to spend money and travel to Alaska going up. Coming back south same procedure and same answer. No problems what so ever with the Canadians. The US customs people were another thing tho. They were complete A$$'s. Both going into Alaska and back into Washington, they questioned us as to why we wanted to either go into Alaska or into Washington. Why we were traveling, etc. My experience is that the Americans need to take eticate lessons from the Canadians.
  7. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I don't cross "all the time" like some here, but have been crossing from "time to time" for decades. It's a different world post-9/11. In the "old days", a couple of times I crossed at back roads without attended Customs and just kept going, didn't call in later. Once was on a trip from Albany to Montreal when there was a snowstorm and the main road was closed at the border. I turned around and crossed at a back road and completed the trip.

Nowadays somthing like that would be taken more seriously. Dept of Homo Security is probably monitoring this right now and and the next time I try to cross, i will be "in the database".

For you folks who are askeered of crossing into Canada, how the fook do you handle flying into Europe, Asia, etc.???
  8. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    And you need to take spelling lessons from a French Canadian.
  9. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sumas.
    And it's a 24 hour portal
  10. learningtofly

learningtofly n00b

Oddometer:
    wow,
    this turned into a much longer thread than i expected ! nice..... Well we ended up going to Canada, but by car not bike (no ride report).
    I appreciate all the varied responses. Mostly the theme being "follow the rules" and a few others irritated by our close neighbors "unreasonable" policies mingled in. Here is a little info of his experiences crossing into Canada. He has actually crossed about half a dozen times, stopped once, he said they asked the more in depth questions, so he told the truth, then they politely denied him entry, turned him around and he went back home. He still went back a few times since, and no problems. The reason i was worried was , well i was with him this time !! haha. And i sure the hell don't want any problems, or my name on some list " associates with losers" haha. I will try and give you some facts he has found out over the last few years on this matter, since its still being talked about in here. After being denied he did contact the embassy to try and fix it for good. He filed the paperwork that Canada required, paid the fee for processing, and waited 13 months to hear back that he didn't give enough information in some category (i forgot) i think something about his actual offense. So he then contacted a lawyer that specializes in this stuff (apparently a new booming business). After an initial $100 consultation, the lawyer told him, as for the paperwork, well Canada will reject 9 of 10 requests filled out by private citizens, but when a lawyer files the paperwork they are about 9 of 10 accepted, go figure.
    So the lawyer told him it would cost him a $500 fee, plus having to pay the Canadian fee again since he didn't fill it out properly the first time???? The lawyer told him its still doesn't guarantee him approval. But i guess the way i see it, in my crooked point of view is once again its ALL about money, you pay enough you can make this happen. Ohh and the lawyer told him it would still take anywhere from 6 to 18 months for an answer?
    So i initially was against going with him, feeling the same as many in here do about lying, or knowingly doing the wrong thing. But after hearing this whole story from him, and seeing he did try and pursue it further than most, and still he, in my opinion, isn't getting a fair dealio.. I then decided screw it, lets go, and take a chance. Which we did, and no issues, and not sure it was said in here but they didn't ask us about ever being arrested at the border?? Maybe if they stop you they then ask that? but at the gate, they just asked the usual crap.
    Well that's his/our/my story, i hope i was able to shed some actual facts on some of the odd rules and regulations for border entry. I know a lot in here have said, don't try it, you'll be sorry, they can make your life hell?? But we all make our own choices, and have to live with them. As for the rest of the world, they don't seem to have a problem with someone with a dui in their country, in fact according to the entry requirement webpage i think there's only 2 countries in the world that have this problem. I guess i just would have hoped that canada, being our very close friend, ally, brother en, wouldn't be one. I realize the U.S. has the same policy for canadian citizens coming here, so i dont know who started it, we did it, so they said screw you, we will do the same towards you,, or vice versa. Either way its wrong. A dui conviction should not hold the same level of seriousness as a murderer, armed robber, espionage, terroristic acts....? not all the same, so both our countries need to get over it and not have a blanket law, i think some actual brains, and thought process could go a long way.
  11. Notabiker

Notabiker Notabiker.. really!

Oddometer:
    My dad, brother and I drove a pickup and snowmobile trailer full of stuff covered with nice blue tarps. It was July 2008 and neither crossing gave me any problems. Of course my wife is military and I was moving stuff up to Alaska so that may have helped. Just showed our three passports and my military ID and answered a couple questions and went on our merry way!