"odometer resettable by tenths"...?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bullwinkle58, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope i'm not the first to be confused by this. In the LA-Barstow-Vegas literature it says you need an odometer that is resettable by tenths. Why would I ever need to reset just the tenths & not the whole mileage number? My odometer reads in tenths, but I dont know if just the tenth's are resettable. It's a drz 400s & the factory speedometer/odometer isn't very intuitive.
  2. Naq

Naq Kitsune

Oddometer:
    Thats what the +/- buttons are for on the dash. If sections are labeled with mileage it may not always line up with yours exactly so you could miss a turn later on in the ride. I miss having those tenths buttons on my TE since I've been using it on a lot of dual sport rides and I always have to do the math in my head to make the numbers match the roll chart. :baldy I'm looking at getting a Vapor dash just to get them back.
  3. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a pretty common thing to have in navigational rallys. If you miss a turn or even just run wide on a corner your odo will be out, you usually periodicly adjust the odo to keep it in line with the roadbook.
  4. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    There will be plenty of resets for a standard odometer to return to zero and coincide with the roll chart. If your odo simply zeros, it's alright.
    The benefit of being re-settable by tenths is that you can make up for roll chart inconsistencies and places you get off course.
    I like having a separate odo for my fuel as well. I ride sweep so I am frequently deviating from the course and adding miles.
    Hopefully you are running a GPS. The roll chart box numbers are matched up to the GPS waypoint numbers. Easy to get your roll chart where it needs to be.

You will miss key information regarding speed limits and trail hazards if you don't keep the roll chart current.
    Please note the speed limits in the tortoise areas. It may seem like bullshit, but it is part of the agreement District 37 makes with the gubberment for permitting.
    Hope you have a great ride!
  5. Tooltech

Tooltech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When is the gubberment going to install GPS monitors on all the Tortoise in the desert? China and Russia love to see the USA engage in this insanity. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the world.:eek1
  6. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    That's a whole other topic...:deal
  7. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies everyone, that makes sense. I wondered why I was able to subtract mileage from the trip...

Thanks johngil, i'm looking forward to it. This is 2 years in the making for me. I bought the bike 2 years ago in prep for last years ride, but it didn't work out. I am using a gps & have read the rider info. Definitely dont want to be the fool that gets D37 on bad terms with the BLM.