Odyssey PC-680 in 1150GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PaulBarton, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Francistor83

Francistor83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. It's the same story as the voltage regulator mod, these batteries may not last if not charged according to specs (logical, would you say.... :hmmmmm) Amperage seems critical. The PDF also helped me after I "killed" the first battery.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  2. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ’01 R1150GS, key out, if I remember correctly I have and almost 3.0 amp draw. Pulled two fuses, 0.0 amp draw. Now if the bike is going to sit for any length of time I pull the two fuses. My2cts.
  3. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    Which 2 fuses did you pull?
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuse #3 for the RID is the primary parasitic draw, and #5 for the Motronic is usu. a minor draw. The reason to pull that pair (2) of fuses is that they are always hot. A Kisan Signal Minder, if present, introduces still another parasitic draw.

There may be one more, can't recall, but these are the big ones. Pulling the fuse for the RID alone is what I gen. do for storage periods measured in weeks. If months I often just disconnect the neg. (-) battery lead. YMMV.
    rg sw wa. and Francistor83 like this.
  5. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What lewis said, # 3 and #5 fuse.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little update on this, got the battery replaced and went on my 2100 mile trek over to Yellowstone. No issues with the replacement battery. The Kisan SM-5 didn't get returned to me until after departure so no parasitic draw during trip. It was waiting for me when I got home but they had said there was some "event" that blew the left turn signal circuit (the Kisan circuit is rated to 8 amps while the factory flasher relay is rated to 15amps). They repaired it but I didn't want to install it until I confirmed there was nothing in my turn signal circuit causing the issue. I did have some intermittent issues with the LH signal. It appears the wiring in the connector block was loose. I've fixed that (fingers crossed) and decided to mod the Kisan relay before re-installing it. Well, I opened up the case and it looks like Kisan is performing Roger's Pin 2 mod at the factory. My pin 2 is clipped and attached to Pin 1 already. This was bought brand new from Kisan and then repaired by them. Not sure when the mod was done either initially or during the recent repair but looks like they've started doing this.

Paul
  7. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    That's a good thing

Did it age out or do they no longer care about meeting DOT?

It probably dumps the responsibility on BMW haha
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the motivation is...I spoke with him 3 separate times on the phone - twice after the repair was complete and he never mentioned that at all. Saved me the hassle of doing it but I wouldn’t have had to open up the case if I had known...oh well.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you mean 3 milliamperes.