Off pavement route across the Sierras?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by crashmaster, Apr 18, 2007.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I thought I would throw this out there just to see if anyone has any info. Looking to take a mostly off-road route from San Diego up to Groveland (Hwy 120 on the west side of the rock pile) I have managed to link up quite a few FS roads skirting to the east of the inland empire, to the Kennedy Meadows turn off on Hwy 395.

I would like to find a legal trail, or nasty FS road that cuts across the the southern end of the Sierra around the south Kennedy meadows area (not the one near Sonora pass) so I can continue up the east side of the central valley and come out around Greely Hill, Buck Meadows area. I'll be either on a DRZ or KTM EXC, any ideas?

thanks.
  2. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Kennedy Meadows you can take the Rincon Trail south to Kernville. I don't have GPS on this. From Kernville, you can go to Wolford Heights on the west side of Isabella. From there there are forest roads leading west. I rode a DUALDogs ride there 10 years ago, and would have to get the rollcharts out to help you.

Also on SMTS: http://www.smts.info/
    rte#6 from 395 to rte #3.
    Jerry? your turn...
  3. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just the kind of info I'm looking for:clap I have seen various ways through using City Nav, but obviously it has its limitations. I'd hate to get out there and find a dead end with not enough fuel to reach a gas station.

Funny thing is that its easier to navigate in Baja:1drink not so many possibilities.
  4. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember getting gas and lunch in a small mountain town called Ponderosa. Again, 10 years ago...things change...
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other side of the river.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are talking about Cannel trail not Rincon. It goes from Sherman pass down to just north of Kernville.
  7. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please elaborate about this one if you have a minute. I'm looking to cross the sierras right around Sonora or Monitor pass this year.
  8. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    There is another "Kennedy Meadows" around the Sonora Pass. As ar as off-road routes over the rockpile to the north I have not found any yet. Being that its California, the Sierra Club has been instrumental in getting many trails shut down that were previous open to motor vehicles.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for having plenty of designated "foot traffic only" trails, but there are not many leftovers for moto use, we are pretty much restricted to FS roads or OHV areas these days in the Sierras. And BTW, by "foot traffic only" I cant understand why the Sierra Club folks like to allow horses???? They do more damage to a trail than bikes.:fyyff
  9. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup..thats it! So, Jerry, where does the south end of the Rincon trail come out?
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazingly after all the weekends I spent on he Kern Plateau, I never rode Rincon. I also never got to the bottom of Rattlesnake to forks of the Kern, Jorden hot springs and back to Casa Viejo before it became Wilderness.

However looking at my very old Sequoia map it is called the Rincon Fault trail and is straight as a fault. It starts from the river hwy about 3 miles south of Fairview and goes 17 miles almost exactly due north to forks of the Kern. I am not sure what is open to MCs but I know some is and it is the toughest trail up there.
  11. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry, looks like i have a little exploring to do. I have put a couple of months of riding time trying to piece together this DS route, so many options and some much better riding than others. Hopefully, riding time permitting, by the end of the summer I should have something decent pieced together and will report back.

thanks, crash
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn't read your whole question. Check out my SMTS file in my private library on GPSXchange.com. Also search for Pacific Crest Quest on ADV. I think it has all been done and recorded.
  13. ghostbuster2

ghostbuster2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is Buck Meadows, is it the Buck Meadows off of Hwy 120 by Groveland? There are no MC legal trails over Sonora Pass. I have been on some trails through the Marine Base on the east side of the pass but only on organized rides that secured permission to pass through the base. On their rides it was necessary to ride pavement over the top of Sonora Pass down to Kennedy Meadows-the one on the west side of the pass. When you are on the west side of the pass you can pick up some MC legal trails below Kennedy Meadows where the wilderness area ends. I don't recall any specific routes out of the Niagria OHV area to Buck Meadows but I have picked up a dirt road behind the Dodge Ridge Ski (Pinecrest) area that goes to Buck Meadows via forest svc roads (paved 1 lane and dirt) and Cherry Lake/Cherry Oil Rd.
  14. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Yup, same Buck Meadows, different Kennedy Meadows.

thanks, crash.
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true, you can ride through the base any time. However there is a dirt road from just east of Sonora pass to behind the base then there are two trails (Mill and Lost) that end up in Walker. If going south, there is a trail from just south of Sonora Junction on 395 to Lee Vining.
  16. ghostbuster2

ghostbuster2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jerry, have you got any tracks of the trails through the base or of the road or trails you speak of? Everytime I went through the base there were MPs at every intersection ensuring that we did not stray off path. How do you gain access to the base, do you need proof of reg and insurance like other military installations that I have ridden on? If I am challenged by an MP while riding up through the base can I drop your name? :rofl
  17. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    I ride through all the time, Never a problem, They just wave you by,
    just go straight after the Guard station to the dirt road, it is a "Forrest access road"

Attached Files:

18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy is 6' 4" and 250lbs and rides a TE610 with a chain saw on the back like a trials bike, the marine at the guard shack is afraid that if he takes a shot at RW, he could get crushed.

See my tracks.

Attached Files:

19. gpskevin

gpskevin gpsKevin

Oddometer:
    Bill, Jerry, all:

attached are my tracks for the lower Rincon and Canel Trail. The Rincon is a little overgrown and tough.

Enjoy

gpsKevin
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill, just found this on Thumper

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508163

Might try it on my 230 but an 85 would be more fun!