Off road planning software?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by matikrimerman, Jan 20, 2019.

1. matikrimerman

matikrimerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this is the right forum..

So I'm thinking it's 2019 and maybe there's a software out there that I can use to plan trips on, which will have up to date info on, and preferably will allow for auto route making , meaning I put 2 markers on a route Nd the software figures the trail.

Google maps does that, but very partially. You can make a bicycle route and most times Google will figure the coonecting route BUT: 1) it's usually for hiking or bicycling, so motorized use is not guaranteed. 2) there a very limited amount of routes you can make, so on a long trip it ain't enough

Google earth is nice, but no info regarding the accessibility of the roads, so you can spend weeks planning a route on there on roads that have been blocked forever

Any one knows of such thing? Trying to plan a Nevada trip to areas not cover by the NVBDR

Thanks in advance
  2. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gaia GPS will route on dirt roads at least on the desktop web page. It cant tell you if the road is open.
    matikrimerman likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

It doesn't matter which software you use... If the map data is wrong you will find road blocks
    Grinnin and plumer1kt like this.
  4. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://maps.openrouteservice.org
    It does better than google maps,as it has a MTB option (similar to trail routes).
    Many more options than google for planning a route ,giving results for altitude,road type,etc. and you can export directly to a GPX file!
    Uses open street maps,so road blocks on your route depend on the latest map update as ohgood said above.
    It works for my region...try it
    Grinnin likes this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    As ohgood (almost) said. You need better maps.

Perhaps one of the sites for sharing dirt bike tracks can help.
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like this site and bookmarked it. It wouldn't help in all places.

Here in Maine and other parts of New England, there are specific ATV trails and OHRV trails that dual-sports can use legally but MTBs cannot. Both dual-sports and MTBs can use the "multi-use trails" that are often old railroad beds and developed on public rights-of-way. Many of the multi-use trails are on Open Street Maps but they're usually not all that exciting, being limited to wide radius turns and low grades.

When I plan off-road riding, I use maps of ATV trails, some of which are online or in my GPS memory. I also plan dirt road riding and use a combination of OSM and Garmin maps. (But my "planning" is generally pretty rough; I usually want to go out and wander around in an area. Maps don't seem to substitute for being on the ground and seeing what's really there.)

It really depends on whether the OP meant "off road"where he needs trail maps or "dirt road" where detailed road maps might work. In the context of the question it does matter.

Also depends on if the trails and roads are public ROW or not in that area or jurisdiction.
  7. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look at Kurviger which uses OpenStreet maps.
  8. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    AFAIK Kurviger doesn't allow you to avoid pavement (although I believe they've stated that's a feature they are going to look into). That said it's still probably the best motorcycle-specific routing engine out there.

I personally use Basecamp to plan all my rides, but it's far from what you're looking for. At least you can see the road surface type, though.

The biggest problem with trying to find dirt roads and trails is that very few map sources have accurate road surface composition.
  9. matikrimerman

matikrimerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check it out

for sure, but atleast it gives a rough idea. a dirt road can be washed out by heavy rains too. I still want a good base to plan off of

- thanks, I'll check it out

- Most of NV is BLM land, and I am looking for dirt roads, sorry for the confusion.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using Garmin Mapsource and more recently Basecamp to plan offroad trips for nearly 20 years.
    I presently rely mostly on the City Navigator mapset. It shows about 95% of the dirt roads I want to ride.
    I also use Garmin Topo 24k and Topo 100k. And Google Earth.

As noted above these maps do not show whether a road is open or not. This usually complicates the planning process.
    For National Forest and BLM roads I use MVUM and Travel Management maps to find which roads are open.
    Otherwise I assume that minor roads on private land are not open and that numbered county roads are open.
    This usually works but not always.

If you want an online resource try the Furkot trip planning software. It takes some learning, but so do all good trip planners.
    ljustina likes this.
  11. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    As someone who lives and rides in the outback of Nevada I can tell you there are NO maps that will give you current road status. I have one big filing cabinet full of various road and topo maps; they are a help but they are out of date by the time they are printed. Way too many variables. A lot of the roads are seasonal - the BLM will lock the gates when they determine it would cause road damage to drive it. Or the road was already damaged. Or its mating season for the "endangered" sage hens and the government doesn't want them disturbed - this is a big one these days. If there is a fire in the area, that area will be closed during the fire and for some time afterward. Many roads may cross private property and again, depending on the time of the year ... or whether some idiot has left gates open...or somehow ticked off the landowner and the gates get locked. I have several GPS units that I use but know of no program that can help you do what you want; the programs are just as out of date as the paper maps are.

I've been living and riding here since the 60s and about the best advice I can give is to plan your route - with alternatives, knowing that your original plans may not work out. If possible, as the saying goes, "inquire locally". There are BLM offices in most larger Nevada towns and they will have the most up to date information and maps with current road status.
    P1050261r.jpg
    ljustina and braindead0 like this.
  12. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    In addition to above, I've noticed ranchers fencing off BLM land and putting up 'no trespassing private property' signs. I report these when I come across them, but most BLM offices have very limited resources.