Off road routes in northern ontario.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dirtdawg44, Apr 25, 2020.

1. dirtdawg44

dirtdawg44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip on Wr250's when things open up. I have ridden most of northern ontario by snowmobile and will use backroads maps to plan. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a off pavement route in the following areas:

Hearst to Hornepayne

Hornepayne to duberville

duberville to wawa

wawa to searchmont

Aubrey Falls to Elliot lake

Elliot lake to Sudbury

Even a yes or no would help with my planning.

Thanks
  2. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    @BackRoader you guys have spent some time out that way right?
  3. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I’ve been on a couple of those routes.
    Chapleau to Elliot Lake and up to Searchmont.
  4. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about Duberville right to Wawa but I know you can go on dirt to Hawk Junction from Duberville . I did part of it 2 years ago and some guys did it last year .
    For parts of the trip you are planning you might be able to follow the Trans Canada Adventure Trail . Check their site .
    NorthRider
    BackRoader likes this.
  5. dirtdawg44

dirtdawg44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for advice on TCAT. We are trying to plan a loop that will include part of the TCAT. We are planning to go from Sudbury to Timmins, to Smooth rock, to Abitibi canyon ,west on northern logging road to Kap or Hearst . I know there are roads south of Hearst but not sure if I connect all the way down to Elliot lake by dirt roads.
  6. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Reach out to GPSAdventure.... he’s in the Timmins area. Or NoFate in Chapleau..... possibly Findian in Wawa
  7. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an old ride report here from some guys that do a yearly off-road ride around Timmons , Sudbury , Elliot Lake . They have done it a few years now . I can’t find the link to it but maybe they will chime in here . They usually do it in early August . Those guys could provide you with a ton of info . I think there is a Sudbury Trail Riders Group on Facebook as well . I know 2 riders that ride to Wawa from Sudbury in mid May and they do it mostly on dirt , mind you they are both great off-road riders and fear nothing ( both KTM950 riders ) not sure how dirty and muddy you want to get .
    NorthRider
    GR0NK and BackRoader like this.
  8. JohnRcbr

JohnRcbr underpowered

Oddometer:
    A lot of the snowmobile trails here are used year around, by ATVs and motorcycles etc in summer and are based on old logging roads. Aubrey falls to Elliot Lake and then to Sudbury should be mostly doable by trails and gravel roads.
  9. LittleMac

LittleMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black Creek road from the outfitters on 129 to Elliot Lake is a nice ride. Planning on trying the road just west of Ranger Lake and coming out on Rd 38 north of Chippewa Falls. Any info on this route would be appreciated.
  10. dirtdawg44

dirtdawg44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is great
    I can see black creek rd goes to 129. I think that is the f snowmobile trail
  11. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I do believe I am one of the 950 yahoos Northrider speaks of. :D

I helped Ted map out the TCAT routes from Sudbury to Timmins and then west to Hawk Junction/Wawa. I know Sudbury-Timmins like the back of my hand. Have also done Hawk Junction-Dubreuilville with @FINNDIAN. He's your best bet for Dubreillville-Wawa without touching pavement. Pretty sure he knows Hearst and Searchmont routes as well.

I can help you plan your routes and fuel stops for some of the areas you are referring to. My buddy Gojo (the other KTM 9x0 yahoo) and I planned to find a big bike route to Elliot Lake last year heading south from Sultan road. We found the route but as we were staying in Gogama that night we didn't actually go all the way so I have no firsthand knowledge if it's doable yet. It's on my list again this year.

Sean :ricky
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  12. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gronk, was you route to Elliot heading through Ritchie Falls?
  13. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I can't confirm that, we never got that far when we went out. You can definitely get to Ritchie from Sultan road and you can then go straight to HWY17 from Ritchie but I'm looking to see if there's a trail that goes from Ritchie into Elliot. There's a road that goes part of the way but ends. I'm almost sure there's a passable trail (at least on a small bike) that continues on but I don't know for sure. I'm aiming to find out this year.

Sean :nod
  14. kirbike

kirbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've sledded a lot of that as well. I'm going to explore some of those roads on my 1190 this year, maybe even this weekend.
  15. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please let me know when you're going to try. On google earth it looks like you can do it. I was looking to go that way last year on the 1290 but only went to Ritchie, up the KVP from Webbwood and and down the 810 to Massey.
  16. Tabagasru

Tabagasru n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Manitouwadge Marathon area, I know it's not in any of the areas that you listed but I may have some info for this area.
  17. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would appreciate any info that you have!
  18. Small bore adv

Small bore adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I am trying to piece together a ride from Searchmont to Hearst. Likewise I have ridden it all in the winter, and I have ridden Searchmont to Wawa on bikes several times. One idea I have mapped out is to ride Wawa to Dubreuilville to Hearst... Roughly 138 miles of total un known trail conditions and possible water crossings. Let me know if you find any info or maps ?