Off Road Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Chanesj, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Chanesj

Chanesj 2013 Triumph Tiger XC

Oddometer:
    I have Tiger 800 and plan on putting Shinko big block adv tires on it. Never tried to run at lower PSI on forest service roads, etc and kept it at stock. Reading about the benefits of lowering PSI and ppl are saying mid to low 20s on front and rear. Thoughts?
  2. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For cruising around forest service roads, I haven't found the time it takes to stop and air down/up is worth it.
    If you are going to tackle loose rock, sand or mud at low speeds then there is a definite benefit. Pinch flats become a issue at a certain point... on my Tiger 800, anything near or below 20 psi makes me nervous.
  3. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    Im doing the bdr in july so maybe ill hang in the mid 20s range
  4. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    If you ride like me 25 in the rear and 27-29 in the front. Your wheels will thank you. Even then be careful I pinched and new Shinko on the front of my V strom and it had 40psi. Had to replace the tire as it was cut in the bead. Be sure to carry front and rear tubes when ever running any BCDR. even if you are running tubeless.
  5. northbender

northbender Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 990 behaves much better on loose stuff with 22-25 psi in the tires.

(Tractionator rear and scorpion rally front)
  6. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Just carry the front - you can stick it into the rear in the case of an emergency
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Chan, go out on street pressures, go down a few miles of 2-track on street psi, then drop to 24F, 26R hot , and go back on the track you went in on. Obviously, take a pump & gauge, or buddy with same.

Then tell me if you feel any difference going in on the brakes & coming out on the gas.

I've never ridden with you, so I don't know your style/where you're at on the performance riding pecking curve (and I don't really care/doesn't matter).

But an 800 puts a lot of load on the ground vs a dirt bike, so I think you will notice a difference. You get to decide if its better.

I ride a 950A into just about anything at above pressures, but it is 2X the weight of my 250, hence takes twice as much air
    Chanesj likes this.
  8. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    C86BC0C1-296A-456E-85E6-7A155F7D804B.jpeg
    More than this.... almost home to.
  9. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    I run 25 rear and 26 front on my 1090 R with Motoz Adventures. I was doing a road ride last Sunday with 35 and 36 and did a short section of dirt. It was damn near unrideable compared to what I'm used to. If I'm doing mainly dirt I'll ride 50-100 miles at the lower pressure on the pavement and not bother to reinflate them. It feels fine and I don't really care about tire wear.
    Apple Jam and Reeds Moto like this.
  10. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    This guy knows a bit about riding dirt and the first thing he addresses in this video is tire air pressure.

11. BybeeKiwi

BybeeKiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never drop tire pressure, and I spend lots of time in the dirt with my tiger.
    Pinch flats are a real thing, these bikes are heavy.
    What is stock air pressure? 33psi front and I think 36 in the rear. Tkc80 is a great front tire hard to beat. Back tire is where there are lots of options and opinions,
    Crap now I brought up tire brands this thread is off to hell in a handbasket now 20190715_103821.jpg
  12. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I use Mobil !
    TK-421 likes this.
  13. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    That is a terrible combo with a Dunlop 908 front!
    TK-421 and BybeeKiwi like this.
  14. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    Ask Apple Jam about tire presshurz,,,he lets ALL the air outa his tires!:lol3
    Hiya Jeffy!:1drink
  15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best advice yet on this thread. Instead of relying on what others write on Advrider or experts on YouTube, go find out for yourself. Keep in mind that you're not riding a light bike so don't overdo it.

Not all Forest Service roads are the same. Some are really rough and rocky others are smooth dirt or deep gravel. Big sharp rocks need more air to prevent damage.

Not all adventure tires are the same. Some have very stiff sidewalls and some are softer. Stiffer sidewalls can be aired down without harming the rim or tire better than soft ones.

Experiment cautiously on terrain at the upper level of challenging that you are likely to ride and become your own expert for the way you ride your bike.
  16. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need more bikes

Oddometer:
    Per Bret's advice, I never air down when I'm off-road. Well, as off-road as my R1200 GS gets. Which is WABDR and gravel in Oregon.
  17. b76

b76 Need more adventures

Oddometer:
    I run street pressure offroad on the Africa twin.
    The tires are MotoZ rallys.

I dent wheels on my yamaha dirt bike at anything under 15psi.
  18. travisn000

travisn000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Triumph's recomendations...
    [​IMG]
    Chanesj likes this.
  19. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, all great info. I think i need to get out and do some test runs in the high 20s, obviously it will be different when i have my bags packed on our WABDR trip
  20. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    One other thing to do before your WABCDR trip, is to take a practice trip. Load your bike and go for a ride. You can't just hang everything on the rear and think your good to go. A light front end makes for a long day.
    Scott_PDX and deadflagblues like this.