Off-Road to Joshua Tree NP

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dino702, Oct 25, 2020.

1. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any routes from the I-40 to Joshua Tree National Park off-road and then from the park to Slab City?

Any intel on the trail conditions which ones are better than others.

fully loaded big bikes on this run.

Thanks
    Chillis likes this.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    SoCal BDR from I-40 to SR62. SR62 west to Old Dale Rd. Old Dale Rd/Gold Crown Rd (https://www.desertusa.com/desert-trails/old-dale-road-4x4.html) south into the JTNP with maybe a side trip to 29 Palms for gas. At the Cottonwood entrance, veer right onto Pinkham Canyon Rd and take that south all the way to the canal access road by the Cactus City Rest Area. Ride the dirt road north to Box Canyon (paved) and head south. Cross I-10 and maybe a mile or so south, head west on Pinto Rd (no longer maintained somewhat paved road) to Red Canyon Rd (dirt). Ride south to the Bradshaw Trail and ride that west to Hwy 111 or stop at the All American Canal and ride that dirt road south (I haven't been south of what is now called Glamis North Hot Springs Resort). It's worth checking out Bombay Beach - the LA artsy crowd has adopted it and there's some really interesting buildings.

You better like sand. Soft deep sand in places.

edit: - I haven't ridden all these roads since before whatever summer monsoon rains happened this year.
    dino702 and Chillis like this.
  3. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Those are mostly the routes I was considering. Thanks for confirming Jonz.
  4. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    03D90D19-70F2-479C-9B9E-C9A53E1509AD.jpeg 58015770-2645-486E-977B-71EC9F530FF9.jpeg So the paved 2 lanes from the I-40 to Joshua Tree NP north entrance are supreme and make the ride seem a lot shorter. After coming from the park down the south entrance also an amazing road and taking Box Canyon Rd also amazing to the canal rd (dirt 2 track) to slab city realizing we where still 30 something miles from our destination we bailed to Hwy 111 to Niland and Slab City.

If we had more time the dirt routes seemed sandy but doable on loaded Adv bikes.
    Chillis, breakdirt916 and jonz like this.