off road training and repairs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TorontoDude, Feb 25, 2020.

1. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi,

looking for options in Ontario to do some off road training, and if possible, hands on repair. Living in a condo means i have to room to wrench, let alone spare parts to practice plugging tires, etc.

i checked out SMART/BMW off road training, but crap that isnt cheap.

anyone have any other recommendations?
  2. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the SMART ADV course, not the BMW course 2 yrs ago, it was worth the money. I think you'll find they are all priced similarly.
    matt.the.ogre likes this.
  3. someguyinTO

someguyinTO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the SMART course as well. Great day, worth the money in my opinion and even more fun if you can get a small group together to go. Also not sure what you ride but Budds BMW in Oakville does technical seminars with their mechanic team for the price of a donation to the local animal shelter. Not terribly in depth for hardcore repairs but worth it
    matt.the.ogre likes this.
  4. JT11

JT11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another option for off-road training is Trailtours.ca out near Peterborough. They run technical-focused dirt bike trail days in Ganaraska Forest. I've been a couple times and it's super fun. No idea about about mechanical training though.
  5. SaugeenADV

SaugeenADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rallyconnex.com might be able to help, they do individual training and I bet they can personalize something for you. Great guys too.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There must be clubs around, or rallies, where you can go for a weekend to meet like minded riders to learn to plug a tire, fix a broken cable, or lever. Then hit some dirt roads.
    If riding a tenere, I don't think dirt bike trail riding is going to work out.

I've seen groups where someone would open their garage to a bunch of the same bike type owners and have a maintenance day.. fork seals, oils, coolant, brakes, etc. Make it a pot luck, bbq etc, out of it, then go for a ride.

Maybe contact GP bikes, Royal, local Yamaha dealer, or whoever you bought the bike from, to see if there are meet and greets in the area. If not, ask a Yamaha dealer to have a Tenere Day, where a bunch of Tenere owners show up for a few hrs on a saturday morning.
  7. eldog

eldog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm another fan of the SMART program. Clinton and his team run a great program for adventure riding skills.

For wrenching in downtown Toronto you might want to check out Moto Revere. It's a membership based DIY motorcycle garage with courses and other members that can show you a thing or to and a place to try it out.
    gpfan likes this.
  8. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done the one in Ganaraska and the Smart with Clinton and I though Smart was significantly better. With the Smart program you can use his bike in the morning and then switch to yours in the afternoon so you get real dirt time on yours. I was going to take it again this May but will be away, really it is a great course.
  9. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Got a local dealer? An old rim, a tire. That’s easy practice.
  10. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer: