Off the grid for a while: 16 Countries-31 States-9 Canadian provinces-30,000 miles +

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    IN!

Looking at your route, if you're passing through SoCal and need anything, PM me. I have tools, etc.

Rob
  2. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good....cant believe you dont get the 660 stateside
  3. Speeder54

Speeder54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this one. :evil Travel safe!!!
  4. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    If Charlotte, NC is on the route, you got an open invite here. I got the racing tour, good food, a garage, a dog.... Come on by!
  5. Nickywind

Nickywind CurbJumper

Oddometer:
    WOW. Best of luck to you - talk about an epic journey. We're a house of ADVers, so if you're anywhere close to Bellingham and need anything (food; bed; beer; etc.) we'll do whatever we can!
    Happy Travels!
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    was expecting to start sharing with everyone something exciting...not!!!!

got here monday afternoon after having issues with flights but eventually got here...only to find out my bike wasn't!!!!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    the container ship is running late and arrived in ushuaia yesterday but didn't dock. it docked this morning, but, there is a new national holiday that started last year but the argentines complained that its not long enough so this year they added thursday to it (today). what this means to me is i can see the ship and my container but i can't get to it until monday, so a week in Usuhaia to start the trip, nice place but not the best place to spend a week, to put it in one word...BORED
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    What is the story about the tenere 660?:huh How did you end up with it? It is not available in north america!
  8. arrowhead rider

arrowhead rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is very inspirational to read of such adventures as yours! Some day i will do one of my own. Stay safe. One recomendation. Take the northern route around Lake Superior. A lot more scenic than the southern route and will not add much time to your trip.
  9. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p><o:p></o:p>
    I agree, you should go thru Winnipeg and stay on Highway 17 till Ottawa around the northern part of Lake superior. You will see some great pic locations. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    i flew to england and bougth it there and shipped from the UK to Ushuaia, it cost me about $5100 to buy it...i give you long distance opinion as i go and reliability
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    i'll PM you when i'm close to see if you want to join me on that section...local knowledge is always the best
  12. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Would be great, love to go, but there is a thing call work and I&#8217;m limited with my time off. This summer I&#8217;m planning a trip to the west coast (BC) or the 2011 BMWRA rally in Wisconsin, but can&#8217;t do both.:becca

You are welcome to PM and we can go over the maps (BBQ and Beers). I had the opportunity to ride from Ottawa to Saskatoon 3 times. Once on Highway 11 with my R1200ST, than Highway 17 in a car and last crossing the border at Sault Ste Marie into Wisconsin pulling&#8230;:shog.. a fifth wheel (the road you mapped). I would never pull a fifth wheel on Highway 17 around Lake Superior but great road on the bike.
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    one of the guys who is riding with me has a brand new xt660z and he's from australia so he can't take it home...you have to own it for five years before exporting, so if anyone is interested, obviously it will be used, but it would be a good deal i'm sure...LMK if you interested and i'll give him your info...he doesn't know how to use a computer!!!!
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    this sems weird posting a blog and i'm not on the move so i thought i'd at least prove i'm here with a photo of me ushuaia

supposedily i wll get my bike at 8am tomorrow morning...fingers crossed
    [​IMG]
  15. roninwva

roninwva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will you be able to keep the 660 in the states after the ride? Can it be registered?
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    so 8 am came and went but being confident we were checked out of the hotel

need to mention here, for the first part of my trip i am doing the first 8000 miles or so with a group of 19 bikes and 24 riders total

i planned to take off wherever possible away from the group

so back to 8 am which turned into 5 pm but the group had been sitting in Ushuaia for 8 days and wanted to go...way to many drunken nights in the dublin pub, for all of you that have been there you can relate!!!!

so at 5pm loaded they wanted to go...this is when things started to go wrong...taking off knowing were going to reach our destination in the dark...and when we got there the rain, oh by the way we were camping!!!!

on this ride is whats best descibed as an ecclectic mix...lets leave it at that, no questions on the riders please as this could end up like a soap opera, i'll fill in the details where necessary, it'll be more interesting that way

the bikes stats

19 bikes - 4 KTM's (2 adventures and 2 SMT's), 2 triumphs (tigers), 5 yamahas (2 xt660z, one of which is mine, 1 xt660r, 1 xt1200 tenere, the new one and 1 xt750, the old one), 2 suzuki v stoms, 4 BMW's (1 adventure, 2 gs 800, 1 gs 1200 standard), 1 honda transalp and 1 harley davidson sportster!!!!

sounds like the adventure motorcycle olympics, i'll keep you up to date how the bikes hold up

the other stats, some good some bad - now remember this only 2 days in

4 offs, all minor not too much damage

1 major, a 70 mph tank slapper on ruta 3 in chile offroad that trashed one of the KTM's but he walked away and an hours later was riding

4 flats -2 to one guy

1 blown head gasket

1 cracked gas tank

1 burst radiator

and road kill 1

laughs had - in the thousands

miles left - 29,500

my bike loaded and gently coated with ruta 3 shite...[​IMG]

scott - one of the ecclectic mix, smoking his pipe while three guys repair a puncture...ADV first adventurer/ pipe smoker...he had an off minutes after this photos, very minor.

over his left left shoulder a KTM smt...last time it will look this good, all will become apparrent
    [​IMG]

this is phil, about 10 mintues after his 70 mph tank slapper...still high on adreniline but most importnatly walking...the damage, pretsel shaped luggage,smashed fairing, crashed mirror/ gauges/ brake master cylinder/ bent brake pedal and brused ego and body...the rukka saved him from worse
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

his license plate was customized...it now reads i fell off!!!
    [​IMG]

which then generated the FYYFF on someone elses
    [​IMG]

filling the Magellen Staits ferry
    [​IMG]

lots more to come when the adventure contines tomorrow....
  17. speednjoe

speednjoe Farkles Fear Me

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! When you come through Montana pm me. Can accommodate a pretty good size crew at the ranch with a little advance notice.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:

let me know here you are and i'll be in touch...the main group will be riding hard thru the states as they are heading home, if youare on the way they maybe intouch

i'll be solo by montana so open for more detours

thanks for the offer

paul
  19. Raider901

Raider901 Underbone King

Oddometer:
    ohhh That's nice, it's one hell of a ride :D
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    yes i can, it will come in as a gray import and get a state issued VIN i think...if its still in one piece