Off the grid for a while: 16 Countries-31 States-9 Canadian provinces-30,000 miles +

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Mar 15, 2011.

  1. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    i read all these blogs and everyone says how difficult ruta 40 can be if the conditions are wrong….
    we had rain, snow and cross winds hitting 80mph +, more than half the bikes went down in one form
    or another…including me mine was just a little damage to the saddlebags nothing a hammer and a tiedown can’t fix
    two bikes were literally blown straight off the raod doing 60-70 mph
    strangely enough the bike that had the least issues with wind was the sportster
    just did two nights wild camping and off to do another tonight, just getting gas at a ypf station in pierto moreano and using their wifi

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #61
  2. zoki1

    zoki1 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Oddometer:
    143
    Location:
    TORONTO
    :clap:clap Superb !!!!:clap:clap
    #62
  3. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    more wild camping by the banks of the rio chico river...beautiful spot but very cold at 2 in the morning...today we rolled in to gobernado costa got a little hacienda and settling in for the night, tomorrow off to the lake district of argentina, san carlos de bariloche

    lots more photos soon, minimal time to upload right now
    [​IMG]
    #63
  4. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    great days riding, started real cold and got warmer as the day went on...stoped for lunch at el Bolson an took over the restaurant
    [​IMG]
    even the locals dogs needed some lunch


    [​IMG]
    the ride out to san carlos de bariloche was spectacular, around 100 miles of sweeping bends, clear blue skys to the nights stop over by the lake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heading out to the se more of the argentinian lake district tomorrow
    #64
  5. MrKiwi

    MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Oddometer:
    20,151
    Location:
    New Zealand
    Subscribed, I'm following this epic and amazing ride with lots of interest. Cheers from downunder...:clap
    #65
  6. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    we have 4 australians riding with us, a couple on a KTM adventure, there dad is on a old hand me down GS an another guy on a brand new xt660z

    i'll get some photos of them posted for you, small world you may know them????
    #66
  7. Cardinal Rule

    Cardinal Rule Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2010
    Oddometer:
    112
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Awesome photos so far. Looks like a blast :clap
    #67
  8. MrKiwi

    MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Oddometer:
    20,151
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I may know them but probably not. Post them anyway, I have lots of Aussie friends who are into adventure riding. The pic of you with the glacier in the background is awesome.
    #68
  9. DirtDancer

    DirtDancer Slidin' Downhill

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Oddometer:
    97
    Location:
    Santa Maria, CA
    There is a new, state sponsered back country trail running from the Columbia river to Canada, mostly gravel and two track, every short days ride ends in a campground, easy gas and services," WABDR" , If your lost in Vancouver WA, Look me up. :1drink (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) Would enjoy a few days ride/with if it works!
    #69
  10. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    wish in knew about that earlier, just moved from WA to LA, this tripo i don't go near WA at all but thanks for the offer...if you do ride PM with a link to your blog, like to see how it looks, maybe a future ride

    paul
    #70
  11. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    started the day getting thrown off my bike, the chain came off the sprocket after hitting a major pothole at around 10mph, rear wheel locked up and i did a superman!!!!

    as i'm fixing the bike a little puppy came up and licked the back of my hand with a look on its face saying you think you're having it tough, all i have to eat is this stickk!!!
    [​IMG]
    aftet this the day got better, some good pite and slabbed twistiesall the way to the rio grande river
    [​IMG]
    when we went to leave the harley wouldn't start, one of the battery cables had snapped from the vibration of the bike and mainly the rough off road riding...a road side fix with some jumper cabes made in to battery cables, a little duct tape and we were ready to go, then this lot walked arond the corner
    [​IMG]
    today was fast ride to mendoza, flat boring snore fest roads, but in the big city it feels weird to be around people again, lots of people...on the way we found a road side "deli" a leg of ham and some home made bread, soaked on garlic and olive oil...yum
    [​IMG]
    #71
  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Great report so far! Looking forward to the next installment. :lurk

    One question: Do you know if the guys riding the SMT's are posting anywhere? I ask because I think this is the longest, gnarliest ride that I've ever seen a SMT attempt, and I know others here would also like to see/read about how the bike holds up. It was second on my "short list" before I bought my Multi..... :evil

    Thanks! :thumb

    -SM
    #72
  13. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    i'm sharing a room with one of the guys tonight i'll ask them for you
    #73
  14. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    the front has been feeling a little strange to say the least, today was the first chance to pull it apart and i found a shattered neck bearing!!! the cage on the timkin had spilt in three places making the rollers bind and the steering at slow speed was basically non exitant. no autozone on the corner, so clean everything and repack both bearings an hope for the bet until la paz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice scenary to fix the bike in....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    we are in tilcara today heading to bolivia tomorrow and 360 kms of piste, yippee

    while i'm at it a new chain and sprockets were needed, JT Sprockets sponsered me on this trip and it was time to open the goodies...that took two seconds, breaking he original chain took 3 hours, 3 busted chain breakers and half a dozen beers...why does something in the shop take 5 mintues but on the road take hours, luckily it wasn't raining

    [​IMG]
    #74
  15. MrKiwi

    MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Oddometer:
    20,151
    Location:
    New Zealand
    What tires you are running on the bike and how are they performing for you?
    #75
  16. rtwpaul

    rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Oddometer:
    5,659
    Location:
    arizona
    i'm running continental road attack 80/20 they were on the bike when i got it, with approx 6000 miles on them, i have just put 3000 more, they are squaring off from the off road but i think i should get another 3000+ out of them so 12,000 miles i would say excellent for the conditions we are riding in
    #76
  17. Delilama

    Delilama weestrommer

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2009
    Oddometer:
    194
    Location:
    Warren V.T.
    OK I'm in!When you get to New England give me a P.M.
    Also this sounds like you need a little friend for the ride,You need BACON!He is in the Jersey Islands with pebble35,you guy's need to set something up for a transfer at some point,BACON would look great on a ride like this.:clap:clap:freaky:freaky
    #77
  18. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Awesome, thank you! :thumb :freaky

    BTW, in follow up pics, will we see the head of a puppy peeking out of your tank bag? He/she obviously wanted to come with you, and as you already witnessed, puppies are a source of great karma. :evil :D

    -SM
    #78
  19. Lunatic

    Lunatic Dan Keyhoety

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    Oddometer:
    617
    Location:
    DOWN ON THE BORDER , LAS CRUCES, NUEVO MEHICO
    Subscribed.....Looks like I'm on your route :norton

    Beer, bed and garage available :freaky
    #79
  20. Slippy

    Slippy Adventurer

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Oddometer:
    11
    I'm sitting in Buenos Aires with all the adventures of New York to Alaska, Alaska to Ushuaia behind me. Bike goes tomorrow, I fly back to London on Wednesday. Good meeting you & your gang in the Dublin bar & glad you're all on the road & flying!

    I was one of the three bikers who were just finishing up (English lad on the BMW F800).

    Ride safe & enjoy. I'm sure you're adventures will be keeping me entertained for a while to come.

    Not that you'll have the time but just incase you wanted a heads up on what lies ahead www.mytb.org/Smudger1 is my blog.

    Myself, Damon & Patrick wish you all well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Enjoy!
    #80