Off the grid for a while: 16 Countries-31 States-9 Canadian provinces-30,000 miles +

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'll drop you a PM when i'm a few days out, cold beer sounds great

i agree about the super tenere, drive shaft failure after only 12,500, sounds like a mass recall to me. the xt660z should be brought over here regardless, just puncture repairs and two new chains, and a new head bearing is all had to deal with, first two are expected anway, third was a side of the road fix) and the other xt660z had less issues than me...great bike, right size bike, great gas mileage anything upto 65+ on a US gallon...time to petition Yamaha i think, I for one for buy another one for sure
  2. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
  3. crtahoe

crtahoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ran into you at the the Arches National Park Visitor Center yesterday in Moab (BMW1200GS). Just wanted to wish you well. I'll follow your posts and your adventure. Again best of luck.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:

great meetng you, stay tuned lots more to come
  6. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Rode out of Vegas and was back off road within 20 miles of the strip…having lived there for years I always saw odd trails but didn’t get to ride them, well now was the opportunity.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    One trail I saw for years that appeared to go over a mountain range was heading in the direction I needed to go, I check the GPS, it was there but it wasn’t on my map.
    <o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>
    I rode for around 30 miles and it gradually got worse, any trace of other vehicles disappeared but I kept riding. I was heading up wards and then I came across a sign saying trail closed…it must have been closed years ago, there was no trace of it at all, no other choice but backtrack…aarrrggggghhhhh!
    Flipped around same bad trail downwards until I hit civilization again and did some quick slab to Caliente NV via the extra terrestrial highway and the now defunct ‘Alien Fresh Jerky’ store and headed out to UT and Zion via Snow Canyon.
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My thinking here is it’s the day after Memorial Day, should be room in the campgrounds, all the families have gone home, wrong!!!! Park rangers pointed me to a BLM spot 15 miles back (second backtrack of the day) I set up camp and then found out I was not the only one who was having that same thought as bikes rolled in, ended up meeting guys from Denver, Chicago and North Carolina in our new found free camp ground by the snake river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Got up early I thought but then realized that the clocks have moved to Mountain Time here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Utah</st1:place></st1:State>…so not as good as I thought.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Into Zion NP first thing and then on to Bryce Canyon, both have a similar feel, made for hikers not bikers…
    [​IMG]
    <o:p></o:p>
    Off I go in search of something more my speed, I ride thru a few little towns and to Escalante and meet a guy who told me he has the only bike shop for 200 miles do I need help? I was on the ground oiling my chain outside the post office, only because they had closed for lunch and why not, it seemed a good a place as any? He was interested where I had been but not enough to let me speak…so when the <st1:place>PO</st1:place> opened I excused myself
    [​IMG]
    I moved on out of town and spotted a sign “Hells Backbone 25 miles”, I’d never heard of it but with a name like that its got to be good, right?
    I ran into a couple of old guys a few minutes down the road driving a jeep, asked them is it worth the trip?” not knowing if it was the same road in and out…Hell yeah, just make sure you have enough gas and you aren’t afraid of heights!!!
    I didn’t see anyone else for 3 hours, and yes it was high, just short of 9000 feet, virtually the whole road had sheer drops on one or the other sides of the road and I came across this sign on the way, guess it’s a reminder for you to concentrate!!!
    Headed further north into Utah to Green River to camp, had the GPS set to no freeways or highways and to use back roads, it took me on the old state route 24 that looked like no one had used for at least 30 years but it did get me here, bedded down for the night in the state park
    [​IMG]
  8. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Left green river this morning, and onto the freeway, one thing I hate but it was a quick ride to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Moab</st1:place></st1:country-region> to gas up and head into the arches NP.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    Great scenery but too busy with tourists…time to look for an alternative place, a back road somewhere, a friend once told me if you are traveling alone, people don’t speak to you, get a map out and everyone’s your friend, he was right.
    From a local rider I got a tip about the lasal crossing…great back road and then from there to go to beef basin, all I saw was three jeeps and four cows…that should take you the rest of the day and he was right (he forgot to mention I had to do three river crossings). I ended up in Nizhoni Campground just outside of Blanding drinking beer with the camp host as there was only him and I with his dog keynai, and two other people who had long since gone to bed…all in all a good day, on a map as the crow fly’s I only did about 70 miles but who cares!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    A slow easy going day, woke up because of the cold and a woodpecker doing his thing, hit the road for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeType>Monument</st1:placeType> <st1:placeType>Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> via Bullfrog ferry across <st1:place><st1:placeName>Glen</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Canyon</st1:placeName></st1:place>. The thought here was maybe I get to see something I wouldn’t on the bike, true but not worth it and not worth the $15 and ten minutes you are on it.
    Getting off on the Bullfrog side riding down 95 south is a spectacular ride I have done a few times before and it doesn’t get old, then make a right on to the 261, that’s the Moki Dugway and a drop of 2200 feet in two miles, very cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As soon as you hit the bottom take the first left to Valley of the Gods, and the road is all yours, not a sole on it but me, great dirt, fantastic views and photos. The plan from there was Mexican Hat to gas up and food, then off to Gooseneck State Park, get a shower and relax for the rest of the day…no friggin’ showers there…so off looking into AZ and the Navajo Nation to Sunset View campground just as the sun was setting!!!! But still no showers…guess I get to be a dirty biker for another day, good job I’m in a tent by myself!!!
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I started the day going off road on a route that looked good and would get me in the back way to the Grand Canyon, so I ride around 40 miles and hit a major issue, what was a trail had been washed out severely enough that massive boulders blocked every direction I needed to go, once again a partial back track!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    No choice but to ride a little slab to the canyon, a friend of mine is a helicopter pilot and he flies here everyday, he calls it “the ditch”…whatever you call it, it is impressive but I won’t add hundreds of photos as most of you I’m sure have been here already
    <o:p>as i'm walking away i hear a lady say to her dog "daisy photo!" and the dog poses, so i get in on the act and she poses for a photo for me too... </o:p>
    Then heading south, towards Sedona and Cottonwood, honestly not knowing what day it was (Saturday) every campground was full, I tried around eight of them, the last one pointed me towards an area in BLM land for free camping…had the place to myself...sweet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Today’s plan ride to AZ 191 and enjoy the hundreds of bends and then cross into <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>New Mexico</st1:place></st1:State>…that didn’t happen
    I headed out and took a side road, called <st1:Street><st1:address>Contact Road</st1:address></st1:Street> not really knowing the way it would take me, very cool back road that ended up in <st1:place><st1:placeName>Tonto</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Village</st1:placeType></st1:place> and a small diner for breakfast, great pancakes. Locals know this road and it had some great camping places next the creek.
    After this as I rode the air filled with smoke and was that way for miles, I made a turn on the 273 to head to more back roads and eventually the 191, then I see this sign on the side of the road, it was blowing in the wind, so not 100% if it was for real or not I headed on…it was real, 2 miles down the road, I come across highway patrol and two firefighters, we chatted for a while and they told me virtually all of 191 was closed due to a 144,000 acre fire.
    They helped me out by looking at my maps and giving me an alternate route, one of the guys asked, “You can ride this bike anywhere right? So try these roads”.
    He made good choices, thru the Apache Nation on back roads then on to the 60 to Globe and a motel, I’m in the Elvis room, believe me he would not have stayed!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great photos, and an amazing country.
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    June 6
    Globe to Truth or Consequences
    On paper it looked like a boring day, I had to reroute to get around the fire and the roads in southern <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Arizona</st1:place></st1:State> and <st1:State><st1:place>New Mexico</st1:place></st1:State> aren’t the most interesting or so I thought. Not really too motivated to move from the “Elvis” room, I hit the road by 10.30 heading for <st1:City><st1:place>Albuquerque</st1:place></st1:City> or at least in that direction. I let the GPS decide my route and it did one hell of a job, it found NM route 152, great road, zero traffic, nice and high so I could get away from the 100 degree heat in the valley, and along the way I made the left turn to head north…north to Prudhoe Bay that is…
    Then as I got to Truth or Consequences I tapped in state park, it came out with Elephant Butte and I score a cabana facing out to the lake…for free, and believe it or not it has wifi somehow…good end to the day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job!:clap
  15. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap Great pictures. I just don't think I've ever done 191 in Arizona either. Why? Have not a clue. Need to fix that soon. Thanks for taking us along on your great trip. :clap:clap
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    You won't be doing it time soon either, I was with the forest service this morning and that fire is now up to 270,000 acres and 191 is closed indefinatly as the fire is 0% contained as of this morning
  17. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    Sweet Pictures!:clap I was in South Utah last week on my V-Strom...up 95, down 12 (AWESOME ROAD!)... never enough time!...NEXT TIME! :evil

Home now waiting on a new rear tire! :lol3
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Left New Mexico this morning and headed into Colorado, went thru Pagosa Springs, cool little town, spoke with the forest service to see if there were any other fires I need to know about and avoid…none, but yesterdays fire is now at 270,000 acres and still zero contained.
    [​IMG]

Went over the Continental Divide three times, the highest was <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Slumgullion</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> at 11,361 feet and still snow on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scenery is amazing, great little towns set in valleys, and rivers virtually overflowing, even a few waterfalls along the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ended up in North Bank campground on the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Taylor</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>River</st1:placeName></st1:place> just out side of <st1:place>Gunnison</st1:place>, and only $12
    [​IMG]
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Today I had a few mountain passes to go over, weather maybe an issue but lets go…
    [​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Engineer</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place>…closed
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Cottonwood</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place>, some snow drifts on both sides, passable but cold
    Into <st1:place>Buena Vista</st1:place> and a local guy told me to check out an old trail that used to be a railroad line and has some cool tunnels, only a few miles out of town…
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Weston</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place>, another local guy told me I could get over it my bike looked like it could handle the road…”by that what do you mean?” there maybe a few rocks, boulders, mud, some snow maybe, they don’t plow it or grade it, have fun
    So there were rocks small to large, then boulders small to large and mud, sand and then snow, melting snow with soft mud underneath it and then a bike sinking into it!!! I got 15 miles up and the summit was 16 miles.
    <o:p>(my bike is the black dot in the distance)</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>So I had to flip around, no choice and on to the next Pass – Climax Pass, no issues there but Colorado doesn't know summer is here yet
    [​IMG]

Next <st1:City><st1:place>Loveland</st1:place></st1:City> Pass, cleared and rideable but 20 foot drift at the side of the road
    Last of the day <st1:place><st1:placeName>Empire</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place>, open but cold, real cold and finished the day in <st1:City><st1:place>Granby</st1:place></st1:City>
    …oh yeah no moose!!!
    [​IMG]
  20. Morinite

Morinite KLRista

Oddometer:
    Outstanding RR.

Questions: Is your bike (the brand/type), avalible for sale in North America yet? What kind of camera(s) are you using?

Keep it coming and thank you for sharing.