Official 2013 Pachaug Halloween Camp-n-Ride (Nov 1 - 3)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by akarob, Sep 17, 2013.

1. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Official 2013 Pachaug Halloween Camp-n-Ride
    Mt Misery State Park 11/1 - 11/3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before he thread gets too far, I'd like to go over some ground rules for the people that camp with me. When I host a campout, I will be there to reserve at least one or two campsites, my name goes on the Ranger's roster, and I'm there at the end to make sure the place is left in an appropriate condition. You are expected to clean up what you bring in.

IMPORTANT - Everyone must know the following things :
    The Rangers there have full police powers. They WILL ticket you if they have reason to. (Speeding, no helmet, etc)
    It's important to CRAWL (slowly) through the campgrounds. Seriously, there are kids and stuff.
    Go slow on park roads. The speed limits are 10mph, so don't race around.
    STOP for horses & shut off your bike. A scared horse is NOT a good thing.
    You WILL encounter hikers, bikers and who knows what out there. These are shared trails. Please be courteous.
    Alcohol WILL be allowed. :clap:freaky

AGAIN - The main park roads that vehicles travel on have speed limits of 10 or 15 miles per hour. Please do not treat them as your own personal racetrack. Rangers hate that, and they know were we camp. Besides that, they're used by equestrians, bicyclists, people pushing baby strollers, whatever. Don't go too fast. Enough said? good.

I know everyone knows the drill, but there are new people every year. As always, it's bring what you ride, ride what you bring. That basically means that ALL bike types are welcome to attend, we are surrounded by great motorcycle roads with many local attractions. Trails, rough dirt roads, groomed park roads and windy country roads are everywhere.

This is NOT an organized ride, no route sheets are provided. I think that most of the people that attend will be riding the "enduro loop" but big bikes are also welcome to camp and form a dual sport ride. I DO have a GPX file I put together for a 100 mile dualsport loop that includes mostly dirt roads with some more challenging spots. If you would like to ride that, PM me. There are many maintained dirt roads to explore in the area as well as many miles of scenic road miles that will take you past farms and trough scenic historical Northeast Connecticut, and Rhode Island (can't forget about little Rhody). If you don't know the area, any of the regular FFs will be glad to assist in route planning. If you're new the the area, get a map. EMS has some nice ones.

Here are a couple links to help you find the place.

Campground: Mt Misery Campground
    From 395, follow signs to 138. Take Rt 138 through Voluntown center and take a left onto Rt 49N. A mile up on the left is the entrance. When you come to a fork, go left (usually). The campsites are to the left at the fork.

[​IMG]

This is basically the center of town. Everything is within a few miles of here including camp, gas, food, liquor, bar, hardware store, breakfast place, etc.

<iframe marginheight="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=41.574666,-71.862786&hl=en&geocode=&sll=41.574967,-71.861857&sspn=0.003383,0.008256&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=18&ie=UTF8&ll=41.574967,-71.861857&spn=0.003383,0.008256&output=embed" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>

There is well water available and reasonably clean public toilets provided. One or two sites have hookups for power, FCFS.

Campsites "officially" have a 6 person limit. Everyone is supposed to register with me in order to be legally allowed in the forest at night. Rangers come around in truck and on foot several times (at least) per day. Feel free to flag them down for any reason. So far, they think of us respectful, welcomed guests. Lets try to keep it that way.

Whew, that's about it. Any questions, just ask. If you plan to attend, please indicate so with a post here so I can get a rough head count.

With any luck, I can talk Mrs Akarob into making a batch of meatballs or something.

I hope to see a lot of familiar faces as well as a bunch of new ones - especially the skinny bikes. Fall is a great season for enduro riding so get your asses out here, it's a hell of a loop.

LET'S DO THIS!
  2. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Here's some more pictures from this past April's CnR...dualspork edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Drewha

Drewha Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer:
    YeeHaaww!!!! IN:clap
  4. Ken F

Ken F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I can ride by then. Also my wife's birthday. But going to try to make it even if just for day.
  5. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
  6. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny! :lol3. Congrats on the recall! :clap
  7. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fly in. I have a loaner TW200 :scratch

edit: Hmmm, should have looked at the map...Deal's Gap...that's an interesting route.
  8. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like mapquest sends you 20 hours out of the way..:D
  9. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Costumes encouraged?

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
  10. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in for sure :clap, and a quiet pipe for the WR is in the mail from a fellow ADVr.
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    You guys are very good at picking weekends that I can't make. That's the Hammer Run weekend. Not to be missed. Best dirtbike ride in the U.S. IMO

You'se guys have fun. I know I will.
  12. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    i think i need to make this one. :D
  13. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Well it seems as if Mrs Akarob is on board with bringing over some food, most likely on Friday night. We will probably do either meatballs or soup.

For anyone that is riding in, feel free to pack light. I will have my truck and I'll make sure to bring "the works", meaning there will be a cast iron skillet & large propane burner as well campfire grate. There will also be water available on site. The large tarp (and probably at least one EZ-up) will be set up.

The most important thing people should remember to bring is warm clothes. The nights will almost certainly dip below freezing so sacrifice cooking gear for clothes and blankets. Typically, the days will get up to 40-50 degrees making for some great Fall riding weather.

I will be on the small bike and I'm happy to lead groups through the enduro route. If anyone riding a bigger bike is fairly familiar with the area and can step forward as a "leader" for a dualsport ride, I will be happy to assist with route planning. It would just be nice to have a point of contact for that type of ride to nail down a route and answer questions. If an organized dualsport ride doesn't materialize, you can certainly count on an informal ride. No plan is a good plan too. Be sure to let me know if you want to test out your GPS plotting and navigation as a group leader.

Just over 4 weeks away...
  14. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    I'll volunteer to lead (or co-lead if someone has a burning desire) the d/s ride. Rob, can you send the GPX file from the spring ride to the email address I pm'd ya.

I also have a very easy dirt and paved backroads ride through RI and CT that I'm happy to share with anyone interested.

Looking forward to great campfires!
  15. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    I'll try not to chew teeth off my flywheel this time...
  16. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    My ears are still rattling from the ~11mi I rode your WR, and that was through earplugs & a helmet!
  17. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    I'll bring a tow strap just in case :rofl:rofl
  18. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think you're depressed?
    We're leaving Moab today.:cry:cry:cry

On the other hand, I think I've convinced Mrs Trip to lead a
    "Girls gone Mild" ride in conjunction with the Halloween CnR.

I know there's a bunch of new/anxious riders out there, not least of all the Lee ladies (Terry, get out the checkbook:lol3). I can think of half a dozen others who it would be perfect for as well.

If there is any interest in an easy-going, great for all abilities ride post up or pm me and we can put something together.
  19. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    What do you think about stepping up the spring ride a bit more? Especially if a more moderate ride is also done?
  20. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    That'll make 3 - I've added two straps to the trunk bag kit I carry.

I was able to get it all fixed, I just have a couple loose ends to tie up tonight and ill be ready to break it again.