1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL D2D 2012 20th

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Oct 22, 2011.

1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm....???

I didn't think the bugs were bad at all when I went, but maybe it's because I live in Ontario...? We get bugs bad here depending upon what time of the year etc. I camped the entire way and the weather was good, yes I got rained on every day to some extent, 5 minutes to 12 hours, but mostly it was great. If I recall correctly we didn't get any rain while the D2D was on at all, sunny and clear skies....perfect! So it's up to you to risk it or whimp it....lol

To each their own.....as long as you experience it.:freaky
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bugs in Dawson are non existent. Campgrounds outside of the city I can't speak for. Not sure how your friend can predict the weather this far out. It was rainy to and fro but while in Dawson fro D2D it was hot and sunny;the same as it was the year before.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Going to Dawson last year from Tok the TOW was foggy, muddy and a very difficult ride; the road was as bad as I have ever seen it. The road washed out behind us and at least one rider went down and totaled his bike. Three days later the weather was warm and sunny and the TOW was like riding on an Autobahn. You can count on it being somewhere in that range.

Don't recall a bug on either trip.
  4. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Well, good news on the bug report. Thanks guys. I'll bring my Islamic look alike, screened head dressing just cause it remains unused from 1993 when I'd hoped to get to Denali. Now I gotta go look at the roads a bit more and put some duct tape on the holes in my trusty old First Gear rain suit :-)
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sign up sheet numbers are looking good!!! Wonder if we can het 100 by Christmas???

Are we there yet???

Are we there yet????

Is it time....?

Can we go now...?????......that is my favorite....lol....:lol3
  6. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Litre I believe they call that, (eh Willys?)

And when you get back we'll expect you to be able to convert Canadian dollars per litre to US dollars per Gallon, without a calculator.
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir......! And we pay more for a litre than I paid for a gallon back when I was a teenager!!!!

A quart...? What's that??? I had even forgotten how may there were in a litre.....lol:lol3
  8. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Dang, after 9 hours of reading reports and looking at maps today I'm ready to leave right now, and take the loooong route, but it's snowing in Colorado. Shucks, at least I got to ride yesterday though, and on ice in 50 degree weather.
  9. Sgt H

Sgt H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just signed up, looking for to D2D 2012. A bud from high school and I are making the trip to AK June/July 2012 and D2D was a must do for me.
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Excellent Idea.
    See ya in Dawsoooooon.
    Fite
  11. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Congrats on a great plan! I think two of us will be leaving Boulder CO around 6/10/12 and heading North through Missoula, then probably west to swing by Vancouver and pic up another buddy. Maybe we will run into you guys on the road, as I think a likely route is thru CO. BTW, seeing Banff and Jasper early in the season are a special treat, if that is on your route: no people and frozen lakes still possible. Of the 20 or so trips I've probably made there, only once was it real early, like mid May and it rocked!
  12. Sgt H

Sgt H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like our paths may cross at some point. My basic plan is to leave TX about 6-9-12 en rourte to Kennewick, WA to meet my bud. Leave Kennewick 6-15-12 and arrive in Dawson the evening of 6-20-12. Willl cross the border at Kingsgate and north via the Icefields Parkway. After D2D; the artic circle, Denali, Kenia,Haines, Skagway and to Prince Rupert via the Cassiar to catch the ferry south. Looking forward to meeting other northbound travelers on the road.
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's building to be one of the best D2D's of all time!

Might even hit 100 riders by Christmas the way it's going!!!:clap:freaky
  14. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    And... was that the Imperial gallon that Canadian pumps used to dispense? Or the U. S. gallon? Dang Canucks always have to do it differently. :lol3

(I can pick on Canadians, being half Canuck myself.)
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    And what's the other half?
  16. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Half fast. Never been too speedy. :wink:
  17. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:

wow. that is a nice long trip. Icefields is a must do. You might consider Glacier/Waterton/chief Montain border crossing route on the way if you have the opportunity, so you can see the entire 125 mile run through Banff/Jasper which includes the icefields pkway. The entire kanninaskis country area is real nice too between Waterton and Banff proper... with gravel roads if ya want em.
  18. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Just wishing you all a Merry Christmas. And wishing you safe riding on any form of winter riding you can get in in the next few months. See ya'll in June.
  19. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    looks like the wife has given me the green light on this one. Do I need reservations at a campground or do they have lot of sites?
  20. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reservations ahead is always a good thing. However when I was there in '10 the guy I was supposed to share with bailed on me. I just squeezed in with others and paid the desk. I'd say try to make them (which is what I'm doing) but prepare to share. I spent very little time there just to sleep. All my time was at the bars....the Gold Rush in Dawson. Eagles Claw or Golden Bear if you pass through Tok.