Official Enfield Meteor 350 thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tanshanomi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point, with a bit more normal seat instead of the "king/queen" step seat, plus a normal set of bars it would look a lot alike.
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    That's actually the OEM seat, not the K&Q. Needed because the rear fender is so high and the "cruiser frame dip" is so low. Much prefer the KZ440G model to the LTD (more "standard" ergos, 18" rear wheel, same mechanicals) but that was a very rare bike in the USA. Same for the RE Meteor - would have preferred more "standard" ergos, a flat line under the tank to the tail and taller seat height. More like the 650 twin.
  3. markk53

Oddometer:
    I know it is the original seat, that is what the step seats were called on the choppers from the 60s-70s and descriptive of that seat. I spent a bit of time between 71 and now around bikes including selling bikes. We got a fair number of 400 and 440 LTDs traded in on Hondas we sold. It was one of the early customs along with the XS650 Special. Fact is when the customs hit sales of standards took a giant dump!

Fact is Kawasaki sold the snot out of the KZ400 when introduced in 1975 up until the LTDs came out around 77. The standard was traditional and didn't sell for a hill of beans after the LTD was introduced. The KZ was victim of the low cost bikes that ended up corroding away in and behind garages, creating the Japanese "throw away" reputation. Then there was a time in the mid 80s when there was a big business in buying up cheap used bikes in the U.S. and shipping container loads overseas. That is why there are so few bikes like the Nighthawk, Shadow, and other used Japanese vintage machines in the U.S. Bought on the cheap and shipped out. I remember it quite well, that was the time period I was in sales. The bikes bought up were ones like the customs and certain standards like the KZ/GPz, Nighthawk/Shadow/Magna, GS, Virago/Special/FJ, and others. They could actually make a decent profit buying low in the U.S. and selling high in overseas markets. That is part of the reason U.S. versions of the late 70s-80s bikes are seen in Europe and Asia.

Had that not happened, there would be a heck of a lot more late 70s-80s used bikes out there. Makes what's there worth more if in decent shape.
    zap2504 and Nobade like this.
  4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's almost here, who's getting one?
  5. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not sure I would ride a bike like this often enough to justify the purchase. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool bike, but I can foresee it sitting under a sheet in the garage for too long a stretch. But I'll have to test ride it before I write it off completely.
  6. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get that HP is not a factor with this bike, but I am surprised at the low peak. 6,100 rpm?
    The early 1970's H-D - Aermacci Sprint 350 pushrod single made about 25 HP at 7,000.
    T-34 likes this.
  7. DutchBoy

DutchBoy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of my old TU250X, an approachable m/c with a classic look and riding experience, but just a bit more presence (i.e. an extra 100cc and 100 lbs). It's a very interesting bike and I hope to take a closer look at one as they start arriving locally.
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I have more hope for the new CB350.
    The SR400 was 380 pounds and 25 hp stock and with minor mods could hit 95 mph.
    A modern 350 should have at least 25 hp.
    Yes, these are long stroke motors with great torque but you still need HP to hit higher speeds needed in the US.
    The TU250 has the odd attribute of the power being very flat, power does not fall off rapidly like most others so you can sometimes get it up to very high speeds for its power. Its also 320 pounds.

I like the look of the cb350 much more then the Meteor.

Funny, but the new KLX230 makes about the same power and torque and is 295 pounds....
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Lots of reviews popping up on YouTube on the Meteor. Of course, the first ride "Reviews" from most of the online cycle rags are pretty terrible, and just list the specs, and rationalize away anything bad because "it's a cheap 'entry level' motorcycle."

Waiting for some decent reviews about the bike on its own merits without constantly bringing up that it's "entry level" or "beginner." Fuck, it's just a small, affordable motorcycle. Review it as such.

There were a couple of halfway decent videos I can't seem to find now, but one from an Australian guy, who rather liked the bike. Sounds like the build quality is on the level of the RE650 twins, and performance is a hair better than expected with a very smooth engine and good brakes. Freeway travel sounds doable for short stints. I think it's a good looking motorcycle, and hope they sell a lot of them.
    T-34, KingOfFleece, rc51owner and 2 others like this.
  10. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every American magazine review will be trash. It's the same ass clowns who think every bike that has .04 MORE hp is worlds better than the last version.
    Who actually thinks this is a bike for the effing American interstates? It'll be fine for the back roads that are all over parts of the country. Entry level? Nonsense. The Mutt nailed it.
    T-34 and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I'll wait for a Missenden Flyer or Fortnine review.
    Most 'journalists' are suck-ups that rarely are critical because they don't want to be left off the wine and dine intro party lists.
    T-34 likes this.
  12. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Fortnine, really? That's your go-to for "real deal" commentary?
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  13. rustygman

rustygman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have gone through quite a few of the Indian reviews and I consider this fella (art of unwinding) gives a very thorough and non-bs review. Added bonus is he doesn't swap into Hindi after a few minutes.

velofish likes this.
  14. airheadDan

airheadDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that this bike will sell quite well in it's home market where bikes are transportation and RE is an upmarket brand. In the US RE may be trying to bring in new riders with an inexpensive learner bike. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer beginning rider training courses through their dealerships much like HD does. If your first bike is a RE and you have a good owner experience you will be more likely to move up to another RE. it's all about building brand loyalty.
  15. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist MC commute has a new video on the Meteor 350. Cliff notes: The brakes suck with crappy feel and poor objective performance. It's adequately powered, but not much fun in any modern freeway setting. It looks great. It's priced the same as the lighter, more powerful (and much uglier) Rebel 300.
  16. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Came out a couple days ago if you haven't already seen it. I haven't watched yet so can't comment any more than that!
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    He's as honest and straight shooting as anyone out there. It's usually pretty clear why he likes/dislikes something. Very little BS other than for entertainment value.
    Oilhed, T-34, Matt-J2 and 1 other person like this.
  18. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    Oilhed and ddavidv like this.
  19. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I trust Ari Henning's opinions because I know he can ride the hell out of a motorcycle.
    I trust Kevin Cameron's opinions because he has forgotten more about motorcycles than most of us will ever know.
    Ryan Kluftinger's opinions are worth listening to...why, exactly? Oh yeah, because he went to art school!

Welcome to the final triumph of style and production gimmicks over actual knowledge and experience.
  20. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, can't agree. Ari has great stuff as does Ryan. We can go 'round and 'round on this stuff all day-but having track guys review street bikes-like MC Commute, well, how much is that SoCal guy having all the latest go fast stuff for FREE to ride ,going to tell us? Uhm, yea, most folks would get that the brakes on the R/E 350 are not one finger Brembros, but do they SUCK for purpose? Now, as expected a canyon carver in CA looks for a much different set of performance parameters that a mid-west hill country back roads rider. Guys that ride bikes that need 4 or 5 rider aids just to keep the thing nailed to the road most likely won't have much valuable to say about a bike that could not lift it's wheel if it had to. And vise versa.
    As for Ryan F9? At least he's entertaining. The MC Commute guys, with their "free range whatever comes to their head association narrative", well, not so much.
    Your MMV, as it should. I have a lot of seriously talented "go fast friends" and an equal amount of H-D putt along friends. Neither really understands the other and I'm 100% convinced neither could write any review the other would find valuable. Seriously, most of us who have been riding a LONG time don't need anybody telling us what's "good". I certainly don't need a moto jock telling me the brakes on a 4.5K 350 are not so great. Nor do I, you, or anyone else need to be reminded that you better be ready for a GSX-R to launch into almost orbit when you twist. If you DO need that, well, that's on you.