Official Enfield Meteor 350 thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tanshanomi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uh... what part of "Ryan Kluftinger Bachelor of Arts and Science (B.A. & Sc.), Physics and Art History, Academic Distinction 2010-2014@McGill University" did you miss? I think it's kind of clear. Odds are the Art History is simply his minor. Clearly he has some solid knowledge and probably could carry on quite a conversation with Kevin Cameron, probably absorbing more information than most would. He may not have racing history, but I guarantee you anyone who has completed a physics major in college has a hell of a lot of knowledge about materials and forces. And he makes that clear if you listen carefully.

That was one of the things I saw in his work when it came down to the nitty gritty in some of his videos. He has some serious scientific knowledge. Plus he knows enough to learn about the things he speaks of. Their free rein in doing their work is also pretty clear. With some of his comments and choices that is evident. The reason I like what he does.

I think some of his apparel reviews and suggestions also is more real world rider than a lot of other stuff out there. His comments on the order of importance for new rider gear was so spot on it is one of the best intros for new riders relating to what gear to get first.

By the way I've known of racers who could kick ass on a motorcycle, but couldn't work on them to save themselves. I wouldn't trust Ari Henning's comments, but for the fact that he has done exactly what Ryan Kluftinger has done - demonstrated mechanical and physical science knowledge. He obviously learned a lot from his father Todd Henning, who was brilliant with the Honda twins in AHRMA racing.

Oh, one last note... Kevin Cameron is a graduate of Harvard University, where he studied physics. Huh... imagine that...
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  2. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have gotten his major wrong, but he admitted in an interview that he got into motorcycle journalism solely because Fortnine was the first offer that came along after he graduated and he needed a job. Before that, his experience was a dad who had motorcycles and riding an XR100 as a kid.

"I was a young, recent graduate, not from anything useful, I had my undergrad in art history and physics. And I got married and I was like, "How am I ever gonna pay a bill?" And there was an ad on Craigslist for this job as a copywriter at a company called Canada's Motorcycle, which I had never heard of before. I was like, 'Sweet, that'll do. It's full time. That's what I need.' I'd been working a little bit as a freelance writer for a few magazines while I was in university. So I thought I wanted to do something with writing. And so it seemed like a good fit. Obviously, I had the motorcycle background, so that was a bit of a bonus for me." [SOURCE]
    Perhaps his videos have improved since I last watched them, but early on my impression was that he attempted to gloss over pretty weak knowledge with really flowery language, super dramatic intonation as if every word was imparting knowledge from the ancient Jedi scrolls, and a nonstop parade of whiz-bang video effects. His absurdly pretentious Vitpilen 701 review made me stop watching his stuff about three years ago. He starts out putting down other YouTubers for not knowing what they're talking about, and then goes off talking about the "bone line" and claiming that since it has a steep rake, it doesn't require countersteering to turn (which doesn't reflect well on his Physics background). I would have been embarrassed for him, if he wasn't acting so damn smug and impressed with himself.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    This bike makes a Rebel 300 look great!
  4. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Bike reviewers are about as subjective as the appeal of the bikes themselves.
    I gravitate towards reviews by people who own/like the kinds of bikes that I prefer. TMF's garage is half-filled with what I own/would own. Thus, a guy who likes retro standards and ADV bikes is more likely to have useful opinions vs some SoCal track day squid.

Then there's delivery. Zack Courts is probably a nice fella but his on camera presence is just...ugh. I'll take Ryan FortNine's tongue-in-cheek flowery prose over him any day.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  5. markk53

Oddometer:
    How do you think Ari Henning started?

I just don't see you tearing this guy down, rather building him up for what he has done and he never has declared himself as some expert, as you may have read from your source:
    SD:
    "So, over the past three and a half years, you've become an extremely influential person in the motorcycle community. And I think that anyone out there who has seen your content, would agree with that. Being that you are an influential person in the motorcycle community, if you had one piece of advice for a new rider or someone looking at getting into riding, what would it be?"
    RK:
    "I would say, we're all amateurs at this. You say, I've become sort of this influential figure, which is very humbling because I'm like, "Man, I don't know shit. I don't think I'm qualified to be influential in any regard to the motorcycle industry." And I think that a lot of motorcyclists feel that way. We're all kind of like, "Man, I don't really know what I'm doing out here.

So to someone starting out, I'd just say, man, we're all learning at this. We're all learning all the time. To some extent, we're all amateurs. So, just don't be shy. Don't be embarrassed if you're new and you don't know something, we've all been there and we’re all still there sometimes. So just embrace that. Learn, learn throughout your lifetime, because that's what we're all doing."

Seems he, like Ari Henning and very likely Kevin Cameron, has built up his career as a journalist, from scratch.

Again you miss an important note in your own quote, the same thing that got Ari Henning and Kevin Cameron started, "Obviously, I had the motorcycle background, so that was a bit of a bonus for me."

Everyone starts somewhere and I think he's done a hell of a start from back in 2015. I've never heard him overstep his boundaries of knowledge in any video." Fact is his creative writing abilities easily rival anyone out there right now. He can, as some say about singers and their singing, make reading a phonebook interesting. After he has people watching videos about stuff they don't even care about, because they are entertaining.

I would put his crazy Canadian adventure videos up with any of the Henning & Courts videos, like riding the Monkeys and some of the scrambler videos. Oh the other hand a fair amount of his mechanical related videos demonstrate good motorcycle knowledge, I'd venture to say he researches when he needs to do so.

Ryan FortNine may not be a pro level road racer like Henning, or an extremely knowledgeable motorcycle mechanic/race bike builder/walking encyclopedia like Cameron, but he's far from a shill and definitely puts out some quality knowledge along with the entertainment as well.

I just found this, viewed by less than 8000 people, but it really says a lot about the person:

The more I learn about this guy the more respect I have for what he has done so far. I have the same respect for the people you mentioned as well. Lots of others too. I know people who have excelled in areas where they had no training, no experience, no education for it. But somewhere in their background they have the ability to succeed. Like having a father and grandfather who were mechanics...

I guess I need to say something about the Meteor so it pertains to the thread. I'd love to see Ryan FortNine do his review of the 350 Meteor. Would be entertaining and down to earth.
  6. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess some of this logic means the Wright Bros were not qualified to build a plane.....................
    darmahman, Mr. Fixit and Matt-J2 like this.
  7. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just went back and rewatched the FortNine Vitpilen review... not that I care about that bike (the Meteor is MUCH more in line with my style of riding), but I wanted to see where Ryan somehow erred in his physics.

The part discussing the "bone line" was centered around the design of the bike's appearance... nothing to do with how it rides or handles.
    He did something similar with the review of the Indian FTR. I guess that's his art degree showing face.

The part where he says the rake "leans", not from "counter-steering these unleverageable clip-ons", but from the "simple shift in body weight"...
    Well, OK... that's not physics... but it does sound like more of a tongue-in-cheek type of comment... An exaggerated and overly complicated way of saying it has a quick turn in (all done with a comparison against the KTM Duke in mind).

I don't know how much actual motorcycle knowledge Ryan has... but I HAVE seen various bike reviews where the reviewer talks about center of gravity, in a way that shows he doesn't actually understand what that is and how it works.
    At a minimum, Ryan doesn't do that sort of thing... at least not that I've seen. But he does very often use overly complicated explanations to explain something simple... usually to make a boring subject more entertaining.

In the end, I take his reviews the same way I take a lot of reviews... with a grain of salt.

Now, to talk about the Meteor... I REALLY want to test ride one of these bikes. I'd love one just to play around on, maybe make errand runs into town.
    Although... I'd probably be better off looking at the Himalayan... maybe use it for backwoods camping.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    You never see a MotoGP chassis engineer saying the GC needs to be low. It does not. Don't argue. Read Camaron and Feole.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    I think the way they get bikes makes it so they aren't pushing limits, plus I think he realizes his limits and that not everyone marches to the beat of the same drum. His Indian FTR review was really interesting and entertaining. Sometimes designers do things like that. My old Guzzi 850-T had the shocks, side box covers, and the frame rails rising from the swing arm pivot and the front tube all at the same angle. Definitely intentional and for aesthetics. I also think some of his talk is, as you say "tongue in cheek" and other bits are to suit the average rider, not engrossed in terms of physics. I think that's some of the entertainment.

I think he gives fair shake to most bikes for the average rider and that's why I'd love to see him do the Meteor 350. His take on the scrambler trend and his "reasoning" behind declaring the Yamaha SCR950 the ultimate scrambler was totally off the wall.

I take any and everything that has much opinion to it with a lot more than a grain of salt. Part of my problem, sometimes overthinking it. I did take his gloves with sliders seriously. I think some of his apparel reviews are pretty relevant. Plus I really like it when he calls a spade a spade with some stuff. The tire plug video and the new rider gear videos were great.

Now someone in Canada, give Ryan a chance to ride your RE Meteor 350, please.
    CajunRider and rc51owner like this.
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    Honda tried getting the weight low, got it too low. I don't remember all the physics terms, but too low causes a lot of problems same as too high. Not same problems, but problems none the less. Here's the Cameron article click here

Even with the resources of Honda sometimes pursue the wrong path.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  11. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    That's a good read but in his books way more detail. To greatly simplify, a higher CofG lets the machine have more "pendulum" effect and is better equipped for the rapid change in direction needed in the switchback curves.
    We got way off into the ding weeds, did we not? Yikes.
    markk53 likes this.
  12. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vectors of force.
    markk53 likes this.
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    Yep, sure did. :-)

Among other terms that elude my memory, having had tech physics back around 1991. Makes my brain hurt now... :lol3
    Richarde1605 and KingOfFleece like this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The local dealer had three of these in stock yesterday. I sat on one. At 6-2 / 34" inseam I actually fit on it pretty good. I was expecting it to be much more cramped. I'm not in the market for one but I'm curious as to how well it will sell here.

[​IMG]
    LuciferMutt, DutchBoy and mtwillyman like this.
  15. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just getting caught up on this latest RE to hit North America and find that as they come into the showrooms they are gone. Pre-sold or snapped up when they arrive. I did score a test ride and have to say (for me) it lives up to the hype. Loads of torque. And tall gearing - easy to outpace traffic with minimal shifting as well as keep up at the higher speeds. Not vibration prone. Feels like a bigger bike/motor. Far better than the specs lead me to expect. Though nearly as heavy as the Himalayan I had for a couple of years, it is lower, feels lighter than it is, and is much easier to mount and ride than even the Himma was for me.
    The gear box felt even smoother than the Himalayan was and just as smooth as I found the twin’s to be. The heel/tow lever is non-adjustable and you’ll either love it or… have to get used to it. As a toe shifter from the cradle, I would prefer to get rid of it - even though the proportions are about right on the levers, I missed a few shifts with the heel and had to make some adjustments to my foot position. And the toe lever portion is not quite “perfect” for toe only riding. At least that was my initial impression. Ergos for me at 5’11” 32” were very good. The foot controls were juuuust right as well as reach to the bars.

I’m just deciding on color now. It’s a very pleasant bike to ride.
  16. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    Nice review:

Retro Iron and LuciferMutt like this.
  17. kottomack

kottomack blahblahblah...go ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for getting this disaster back on track :jack
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  18. Retro Iron

Oddometer:
    My ride was a bit more on the tame side…. But I liked it just the same :-)
  19. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    So much....................about a motorcycle. How about we all vote with our wallet? Wadda ya say?
  20. Retro Iron

Oddometer:
    Well, apparently, quite a few are “casting their ballots”. :-) Finding these in stock anywhere is next to impossible. The first round of orders have for the most part arrived and gone to a new home. Where are all these new owners? Not finding them on ADV… :shog
    KingOfFleece likes this.