Official Nighthawk thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by eteller, Dec 24, 2006.

1. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I bet the answer lies in the factory service manual.

The shocks are fastened to the bike with two big bolts per side. Don't touch those and you will be fine.
  2. DJOEZZZZ

DJOEZZZZ n00b

Oddometer:
    I read the Honda service manual (not the Clymer though). It says I should remove the upper mounting bolts of the shock absorber, remove several other screws and then raise and remove the fairing. It does not say if the shock absorber will come loose or will be kept in place. On the schematics it seems like the shocks will be kept in place, just like it seems how blinkers will float in the air when they are removed :p. So I was hoping anyone here could tell me what to expect.

I have tried asking our big brother Google, searching several forums and searched through YouTube, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
  3. Adventurer.

Adventurer. Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
  4. DesmoRyder

DesmoRyder Nighthawk Sport-Tour

Oddometer:
    AZbiker, DJOEZZZZ and Adventurer. like this.
  5. Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    DesmoRyder likes this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    TOO FUNNY.
    DesmoRyder likes this.
  7. Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    IMG_5005.jpg

Added my (2) Iron Butt Association(IBA) member/achievement license plate backers, below my ADV backer, to my black, 1992 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, last night.
    DesmoRyder likes this.
  8. OroDas

OroDas El Uy uy uy

Oddometer:
    "La Naijazo" has new front seals, sparks, brakes, and tires, the front one is 100-90-18 and it feels perfect!
    IMG_20201021_155330344.jpg

My road side mechanic is the best I've seen. Had my starter cleaned (was filthy and beginning to fail), and all those parts replaced. He rebuilt those shocks in a little over an hour.

IMG_20201003_143505669.jpg
    IMG_20201003_143531093_HDR.jpg
    I'll ride to some more great places

IMG_20201011_104930940_HDR.jpg

Totally road worthy for crossing again 4 countries back to the United States if I choose to. Maybe next year.
    20200607_171728.jpg

AWESOME bike!

20200608_145051.jpg
    dogjaw, T-34, Adventurer. and 2 others like this.
  9. OroDas

OroDas El Uy uy uy

Oddometer:
    I may have to take it out of Guatemala to renew its permit. El Salvador border is the closer at 4 hours, but the Riviera Maya is VERY appealing this time of the year.
    20180425_174747.jpg

I also miss packing for adventure travelling, either cross country or through countries
    20180408_091520.jpg

20180408_123332.jpg 20180409_152818.jpg

When not on the bike, those Micatechs work as ottoman, table, nightstand and file cabinet :deal

Saludos my fellow inmates
  10. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi! I'm looking for a luggage solution to my nighthawk, but as you can see above I have a cut frame, which means I'm missing one of the mounts for the OEM one. Plus the OEM one doesn't do side carriers.

I found this Hepco and Becker frame, but I can't tell if it only mounts to the passenger pegs and suspension bolts or also somewhere else on the frame. I can't return it if I buy it, so I'm hoping someone maybe has one? Or has better pictures. Or speaks German, since the instructions are entirely in German, which I don't read or speak, since I'm a stupid American.

https://www.hepco-becker.de/en/mein...-for-honda-cb-750-f-sevenfifty-from-1992.html

Or, maybe, there's someone here who would buy it from me if it ends up not working?
    OroDas and Adventurer. like this.
  11. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quite an accomplishment. You have a right to be proud. I did 700 miles one time.... never again!
    Adventurer., DesmoRyder and tomcfitz like this.
  12. Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Search for a used, “Givi N140 Wingrack II,” if you’re looking for a hard case solution. Highly recommend.

You’ll also then need to track down the unobtainium, used “Givi Y146, Nighthawk specific fit kit, or settle for the much more common, “Givi’s Y127” Universal fit kit, which I rock on mine. (More info. avail. upon request).

Happy Hunting !

IMG_0703.jpg
    dogjaw, TonyKZ1 and OroDas like this.
  13. Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dude! Well done one your 700 miler, by the way. My buddies and I are now contemplating a 1,500 miler (TBD). That said, just pumped to have been certified for the 1,000+ miler. Only “regret” is, I didn’t mount a GoPro. I never ride with one, but in hindsight, it would’ve been epic to just leave it running and capture the majestic beauty of the open road, as others have since suggested.
  14. OroDas

OroDas El Uy uy uy

Oddometer:
    The third place that those HB seem to mount is where the turn signals were mounted originally. That is a super strong and essential point to use. Kind of what I have and I believe the Givi rack uses it also. Pretty sure Honda previewed that some riders where gonna need side carriers and they made it very strong and then just relocate the blinkers.
    I wouldn't buy those unless you are ready to custom cut and fab.

20171026_142953.jpg
  15. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, I was hoping to avoid any custom fab work, but I think it's going to be needed. Luckily I know a bunch of good welders and can get 'er done. Thanks!
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was your route?
  17. Hydrilla

Hydrilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would my new-to-me ‘93 Nighthawk 750 implode and disappear if I tried to run a heated vest/controller for an IBA ride? I understand changing to LED lights would help, but I don’t have time to do anything like that before my ride which is in 2 weeks.
    Adventurer. and DesmoRyder like this.
  18. DesmoRyder

Oddometer:
    I have run a heated vest on my '98 for several years and have had no issues. I switch it off if I am stopped and idling for very long.
    Adventurer. and Hydrilla like this.
  19. Hydrilla

Hydrilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good to know. Have you eve tried the vest plus gloves at the same time?
  20. DesmoRyder

Oddometer:
    I have run a second vest for my wife on occasion, but she doesn't ride with me very often in cold weather.
    Adventurer. and Hydrilla like this.