Official Yamaha DT200 thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by jfman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Fixed
  2. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCN0609.JPG O.K. Anyone still burning oil with their DT200R's? I put a few more miles on my 1990 model this year. Have had the bike for many years, but have not used it very much. I put on about 3000 k.m.'s on it this summer. Is a really great bike. Will do over 140 km/h, lugs down real low in the bush, with power to spare. I can see why KTM had such a following with their 200 c.c. two stroke. A good size. Wish I could fit at least a four gallon/15 litre tank, as well as a rear rack. Other than that and suspension maintenance, I'm set.
    BygDaddee, Navin, 00Buck and 2 others like this.
  3. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    I fired up my 96 DT200 last week, but the pilot jet must be blocked since it won't idle. Owned for about 9 years, but not insured for the last four. I've kept the fuel clean and battery on a tender. It's in this video.
    Navin likes this.
  4. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I am very amazed at how good of an off road bike this is. Also, on the gravel roads it will keep up with the "650's". On the highway though, a couple of them out accelerated me. I was probably 50 pounds heavier though! I had some trouble with my carb as well. I am now quite experienced in the R/R of the carb. If you have a manual, or download it, follow all of Yamaha's steps in cleaning. That was my downfall. I thought it had to be a plugged jet, but it wasn't. I believe it was either the emulsion tube, or an air passage. Mine used a lot of fuel, wouldn't hold a constant speed without coughing and sputtering. Used a lot of oil as well. I'm use to not using a whole lot of oil, so I bought some of the fancy Motul Ester based Synthetic. It sucked back a whole litre in like 300 km's! All is well, though, now. I get about 140 to 160 km/tank, of fuel. Oil, I use about 100 ml/tank. My only other issue was when I discovered rust in the tank. Used that "Kreem" 2 part coating to coat the interior of the tank.
    I hope to keep her going for a long while yet! I have only 4500 k.m.'s on the bike. I'm only on it's second set of tires. I recently dumped the bike and burned out a tail light bulb. Was going to try for warranty, as the bike only had 2200 k.m.'s on it!(ha ha)
    00Buck likes this.
  5. King Zarkon

King Zarkon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Boys - jumping in this thread, as I just picked up a 1991 model last night! Little chilly to be out riding it now, but nice to know there are still a few people rocking these 2 strokes! Anyone have PDF service / owner's manuals? Also looks like I need to track down a chain guide..

Attached Files:

6. DaveWave

DaveWave Sometimes you win...sometimes you learn.

Oddometer:
    Here's a WR200 I just finished rebuilding...powdercoated the frame, new fork and swing arm seals, wheel bearings, handlebars, rear fender light and tool bag, seat cover, and painted the rims. THought it turned out pretty good. Now just have to get the jetting sorted out and find a shift shaft seal. Love the electric feel of the motor and quiet exhaust.

Attached Files:

Navin and 00Buck like this.
  7. King Zarkon

King Zarkon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd post a couple of relevant docs that I found online. Apparently the DT1 I'm
    Looks great? Was that bike sold in the US? I don't think we got those street legal here in Canada

8. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    Nice job, looks great. Not sure about the WR200 but the DT200 was sold here in Canada until 1996. I didn't think it was sold in the US at all. Hard to find aftermarket parts because of that. Looking for a skid plate and rear rack for my '96, no luck so far, probably will make one unless someone here knows where to buy. Meantime I've got a sweet WR250R to ride.
  9. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    The USA got the WR200R for only one model year - 1992 - designated the WR200RD (D = 1992 model).
    It was, basically, an off-road bike (as sold in the USA) based on a stripped-of-it's-street-legal-lighting dual-purpose bike called the DT200WR, sold in Europe and Canada through the 1990s.
  10. King Zarkon

King Zarkon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoa very cool. Hey buck how does your WR compare to the DT? I've had my eye on the WR for quite a while..
    As far as skid plate and rack, I'd bet one from a DTR125 would fit perfectly. Same frame if I'm not mistaken.
  11. 2Nr

2Nr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 91, had a injection pump failure, bored 10 over, reeds, rejetted and a whole lotta fun! Not many kilometers, less than 20000 km. Stuck in storage until the shop is built or my sanity becomes sketchy whichever comes first.[​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  12. King Zarkon

King Zarkon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome - where did you get that rack??
  13. 2Nr

2Nr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That rack was originally on a Chinese knockoff motorcycle that was removed and hanging in a friend's garage, I nodded it to fit, made some brackets and I had a rack. It works pretty good definitely a retro style.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  14. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AFTERMARKET PLASTIC !!! Found a place in Portugal that sells side covers, air scoops and front and rear fenders. http://www.bikerpartshop.com/en/5-plastics
    Priced well, I thought. Available in a few colors, but no sky blue. Thought for replacements that I'd either try painting it, or I'd buy a blue decal to cover the places that aren't yellow. Was very happy to just find the plastic! Is very hard to find! I've ordered the air scoops for now. Will see if it arrives o.k. Also, found a tank, in Brazil, BUT, it is for their model, which is different to ours. Also, it is only 12 litres. They also have some non model specific tanks. Looks interesting. You can switch the website to English by pressing the "Union Jack" Flag in the upper RHS of the page. http://www.gilimoto.com.br/tanque-plastico/compativel-yamaha/tanque-dt200-r
  15. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received the plastic I ordered for the DT200R. In Portugal they had DT125R's, which are very similar, except for engine size. Plastic is identical. Quick service from this company with the plastic. P_20171209_225611.jpg P_20171209_225633.jpg P_20171209_225646.jpg
    BygDaddee likes this.
  16. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, found springs for the DT200R. Cannon Racecraft made springs for me, for $139.00 for the set of fork springs and $139.00USD for the shock spring. Shipping was another $30.00USD. I went on Race Tech's website and selected a new spring rate based on their suggestions. Since they don't offer any springs for the DT200R anymore, I shopped around and eventually found these guys. They were very helpful, friendly, as well as delivering what they said they would, on time. I also bought a set of Race Tech "Cartridge Emulators". They were $169.99USD. Will install over the winter and report back on results. Website addresses: http://www.cannonracecraft.com/ http://www.racetech.com/

DSCN1564.JPG DSCN1561.JPG DSCN1556.JPG
  17. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    have you painted them ?, if so can you give me a rundown and some pics

18. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, not so far. Just put them on so far. Maybe this fall or winter.
  19. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In regards to the suspension work, it has worked out very very well. the forks seem to be softer, but very well controlled. Plush, is the word! Went riding this weekend, off road, at my admittedly slower pace, but it absorbed all manor of washboard, bumps, holes and braking. Works well in every circumstance. On washboard or repeated bumps it does not pack down. Reacts quickly. Doesn't bottom. Is way easier to ride the bike now. Not so jarring and tiring. In the back, I'm able to set both static sag and rider sag properly. I went with 88 m.m. of rider sag, with a total travel of 270 m.m.. Static sag is bout 26 m.m.. Before the rear was at full preload to try and handle my weight. It allowed for no static sag. It was harsh and hard, but still too soft at speed. Now it feels soft, but very controlled. The shock seems to be able to cope with the change of spring. I may revalve it this winter with more parts from Race Tech.
    If I have any complaints, it is Race Tech's service. IT was terrible! They say on their website that you'll get two or three springs for their Emulator valves. It came with one. I then saw that it was the wrong spring as well. The lady then said I'd have to buy the correct one if I want the right one! Also, the card they give you to figure out the correct setting using their website never worked, as I believe it had been used already. The package was opened. I had to fight to get a new code, too. There were a few other issues, including her "forgetting" to send my springs out to me. I believe she purposely never sent them. She was just plain nasty!
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two things, just a FYI, the DT engine is alive and very, very healthy in the 2019 GPX 250.

image.jpeg

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/gpx-tse250-2t-enduro.1270364/

Original tooling from Yamaha used by Loncin to power the TSE250R is basically a DT230 mill. Counterbalanced and oil injected, 6 WR gears and e-start. If you ever want a brand new engine or new parts talk to @Pitster . This should keep some older bikes viable! Brand new parts!

Second, anyone know anything about this DT/WR200/230 cylinder head? Im trying to find one or any leads on who made or sold them. Thanks!

image.png
    nycmx and dpforth like this.