Official Yamaha DT200 thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by jfman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. gbiddy

gbiddy n00b

Oddometer:
    So, just pulled the trigger and picked up this little '90 DT200. $2500 CDN pesos.
    Odo says 20k kms, a couple POs, paints been touched up all over, new decals, but looks to have been very nicely taken care of. Runs, shifts, stops better than my newer bikes.

FRIGGEN STREET LEGAL 2-SMOKE!!

Attached Files:

bcbullet, Dauer and sidetrack one like this.
  2. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!!!:clap
  3. gearhead86

gearhead86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!!

also, "Nice Rack"

You don't see many in Canada with racks.

4. JoSiMo

JoSiMo n00b

Oddometer:
    very nice looking bike you got there
  5. mrmarkfr

mrmarkfr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    has anyone seen case savers or engine guards/bash plates for the dt200? Looking for some for my 91
  6. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 85 DT200, fairly rare now here in Australia,its a very clean original survivor,not going ATM, but will one day!
    DSC02849.JPG
    DSC02850.JPG
  7. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here's my 1991 DT200R

still a few more stuff to do before she gets adv ready, but a real pleasure on the dirt.

Went with 2 friends to do a loop in the french alps, parts of the Trans Euro Trail, but the carb having issue fucked it all up, so I had to get back home...

IMG_20200520_001833.jpg IMG_20200520_093625.jpg IMG_20200520_104456.jpg IMG_20200521_092231.jpg
    sidetrack one likes this.
  8. berock

berock n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All!

Long-time lurker here -- and I'm grateful to find this thread. I have a 4800km (off road) white and purple (!) '96 that I'm pretty much in love with. It has a mean stumble-and-die off idle that I've been fighting. It'll run on choke just fine -- which is the classic symptom of a clogged idle/pilot circuit. The carb, however, is spectacularly clean and ALL jets and passages are clear and flow unrestricted (I ultrasonically cleaned it and everything is perfect). The slide fits tight and leaks very little air. The choke doesn't leak. My next step is to chase a case air leak, so I'll make up a pressure tester and test it with the covers off. I'll report back.

All this for a simple question.... Removing and replacing the carb is brutal. Is there an easy way that I'm missing? I fear damaging the 24 year old airbox boot.

Posts are better with pics, so here: (weirdly, it has a Pro Circuit '89 YZ pipe modified with a stock DT clamp-on flange -- that'll get its dents fixed soon).

[​IMG]
    -Z- and sidetrack one like this.
  9. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice one !

Is that an original color ? Haven't heard of any DT200 purple.. maybe some specific paint for the US market

Yea the carb is a bit of a pain in the ass... the airbox boot is made from soft plastic so it shouldn't be an issue, I used to remove the whole airbox before, but it just take too much time, and a few screw are pretty hard to get any access...

Don't forget to check any leak coming from the ignition case also ( that's the issue I had with my 1991 a few weeks ago )
  10. berock

berock n00b

Oddometer:
    Purple frame, seat and shock boots are original 1996 Canadian market colours. It might look bluish-purple, but it's actually purple-purple. At first it turned me off, but it's grown on me and I like how wacky it is (the pink and orange Japanese market WR200 is a sight to behold too).

Thanks for the leak advise.
  11. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some 600TT & 250TTR from '96 period had the same color setup too

That was back then when the Japanese did some awesome looking colors on bike!
    the WR with the turquoise/pink color scheme is just gorgeous!
    I almost bought one, but they are extremely rare...
  12. jesse780

jesse780 n00b

Oddometer:
    I Just picked up a 94 DT 200r 3ET for 4 hundred bucks! It,s untouched on its original build with less then 4000 kms on it boys, The topend is cooked and needs bored and the bike was dirty as hell and the plastics are ruff and painted, I ordered all new plastics from portugal, Thanks for the info on parts as well Ttrider I have to order a 66.25 piston either a cast prox or wiseco forged, The crank has a little side to side play and spins freely so the bottom end is fine, I took the clutch cover off to check it out for the first time ever and the basket looks brand new still! Unbelievable! The seals are bad obviously because there 26 years old but I have set coming. I Wonder if blaster crank seals are the same because I own a 06 se Blaster and i have new crank seals already, I,ll post some pics of the bike
  13. berock

berock n00b

Oddometer:
    Good deal. I would go cast Yamaha OE (likely Ebay) or ProX (the best shop on our West Coast [Mongoose] likes ProX).... Forged pistons are for race engines that need a strong piston -- and they need looser tolerance because they have a greater coefficient of expansion than a cast piston. It's relatively easy to get piston slap from a forged piston in a cold engine, and you're almost guaranteed to get more scuffing wear on the skirts.

The Blaster crank (and entire bottom end) is the same for early the DT200. DT200R is a bit different (both crank bearings are the same on DT200R where they are different side to side on DT200).

With only 4000 kms and a damaged top end, I suspect the oil pump doesn't pump. Since you're a blaster guy, you probably know all about that... but it is easy to check pump function by turning the engine over with the kicker.