Offroad in Busan South Korea 21.08.2009 - South Korea ADVride teaser

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by longwaybackhome, Aug 30, 2009.

1. longwaybackhome

longwaybackhome --------------

Oddometer:
    Good day,

Last weekend I went out to check out some tracks for the end September South Korea ADVride which we have in planning. When returning from my holidays in my home country I had brought my 10 year old tent, sleeping bag and other camping gear so I decided to try sleeping out one night.

Planned to leave the office well on time Friday afternoon but failed due to various reasons so it was already starting to get dark when I left around 18:00 hours. Drove towards Yongnam Alps passing Mulgeum where I did some shopping in a Family Mart for a simple campsite dinner.

[​IMG]

Last view of the Busan outskirts (Hopo-dong) over Mulgeum before heading into the mountains.

[​IMG]

Sun sets over the mountains (photo over Nakdong river).

[​IMG]

Sunflowers are not very common in Korea (so I have to stop and take a photo always when I see them).

[​IMG]

I had checked out some roads on the some online Korean maps (on the Daum & Naver portals) with very good aerial photos and found this road.

[​IMG]

I made it some hundred meters up and came to an unplanned stop at a steep section after my front end was bouncing like crazy riding over some bigger rocks. I almost fell off the bike! BMW claims the front shock absorber is OK whereas I am quite sure that it is only the spring which is OK and the damper itself is crap... After a light clutch barbeque I gave up and turned around. I was alone with a very heavy bike which also was heavily loaded, it was getting dark and I was tired and hungry so why push it.

Drove some forest roads towards Eden Valley and admired the last light of the day.

[​IMG]

I decided not to go for a round of evening golf at Eden Valley.

[​IMG]

Around 21.00 I arrived to the camp site and started cooking and erecting the tent. It was pitch black and the first time I was erecting the tent since 10 years, so I was struggling a little until I managed to get it all right.

[​IMG]

Very basic dinner from Family Mart. Ramyeon (cup noodles), kimchi, tuna and a boiled egg. Can not say it was especially delicious but it filled my stomach. Had the same set for breakfast as well...

[​IMG]

Played a little with my camera and headlight.

[​IMG]

Alternative to camping would be renting one of these cottages or a pension in the valley of "Benet-gol" (not sure about the spelling) During high season in August they are fully booked and quite pricey, starting from 150.000 KWON a night for a 4-person cottage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here some shots from the mountain roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In some of the following shots you can see the continuation of the road in the mountainside in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View towards Eonyang.

[​IMG]

Possibilities for some snacks on the road.

[​IMG]

Talked to this group of locals. They had a company team-building event and all employees went out hiking together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paraeso water falls forest park entrance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here some old shots from previous offroad rides on same roads with Camelchaser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The summer with the worst heat and rain is over so the roads are not too muddy anymore. However the rain has once again washed away a lot of gravel / sand / mud from the roads so they are very "rocky" and there are some surprise ditches here and there. Furthermore as can be seen from the next shot the vegetation is doing really well and where it would have been possible to get through with a car in spring now in late summer it is sometimes difficult to pass with the bike.

[​IMG]

Passing a temple construction site. Not much activity for time being so they have probably run out of money… Nice woodwork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the roads ended at a hillside graveyard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe we can have some great fun during the end September South Korea ADVride….

Back in Busan. Haeundae beach from Dalmaji. 500.000 visitors a day in high season. Yes it is very very crowded. See this link for more info on Busan including a close-up of the beach. If you are interested you can take a look at the trailer of the new Korean film "Haeundae" where a tsunami is hitting Haeundae.

[​IMG]

PS. A little later the family arrived from holidays. During the summer holidays we bought gear for my older daughter. Maybe a future ADVrider?

[​IMG]

2. mega-hertz

mega-hertz creature of the wheel

Oddometer:
    :lurk :ricky
  3. Fustercluck

Fustercluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asheville, NC/ Muntinlupa City, Philippines
    Great pics, thanks for posting!
  4. poondogger

poondogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Taegu for a year in the early '90's. What a flashback. Thanks for posting.
  5. Shalabi

Shalabi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is some breathtaking scenery! Love those pics!