Offroad riding pants recommendation

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MotorcycleWriter, May 28, 2020.

1. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Looking for a set of motorcycling pants with the following requirements:
    Off road technical single track and Enduro-type riding through light dual-sport.
    Tighter more than looser fit, but not tights. Not interested in baggy at all.
    Can accommodate full knee pads/braces underneath.
    Leather or leather-like protective material on the inside of the knees.
    Not GoreTex or other waterproof 'breathable' materials. Not mesh: mesh panel... maybe.
    Vents would be nice but not a must.
    Accommodation for hip armor.
    Pockets for keys, chap stick, etc.
    High durability.
    Not a Velcro-based closure system. Would prefer a real, honest-to-god belt or belt loops.
    Can be washed frequently without coming apart.
    (You'd think durable pants would survive the washing machine but often they don't do well)
    Kind of seeking an inside the boot pair and an outside the boot pair for varying conditions. Don't have to be same brand or style.
    Do not care about brand if they meet requirements.

I don' think this pair of riding pants exists. Prove me wrong!
  2. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim dakar or klim mojove.
  3. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    First, I am NOT a Klim lover or disciple, but with that put out there, I personally use and like their Dakar over the boot pants and use them for all sorts of different riding types. What I have and use are "older" version, about 5 years old-ish.
  4. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no desciple either but do own both pants i suggested because they are the only ones with pockets that ive found and pockets are a must for me. I prefer the in the boot pants because i have been having issues with newer generations where the velcro on pant leg doesn't stay closed because not enough velcro in the right place.
    Tallbastid and zgfiredude like this.
  5. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    another vote for klim dakar, though i haven’t washed mine frequently...
    zgfiredude likes this.
  6. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Pockets are non-negotiable. I like over the boot if I'm expecting weather (they shed better) or sometimes for a little more breathability. Prefer inside the boot if I expect to be getting on and off the bike very much and weather isn't looking like an issue. In the boot pants tend to get damp with sweat and 'ride-down' making it harder and harder to get my leg over the saddle.

I have been looking at the Klim Dakar. Do they come in both inside and outside boot styles?

Sweat and dirt in fibers massively reduces lifetime, stiffens the material, and just generally makes it less comfortable. Plus you smell bad and look terrible! I'm going to wash and wash often.
  7. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    yes, they are available both itb and otb. my pants have held up well, without becoming stiff or stinky... they are stained though, the grey is very light in color.

best regards,

johnnyg
    MotorcycleWriter likes this.
  8. elbell

elbell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have a pair of Dakars, probably 6 or 7 years old. Wash them every couple of rides. As long as you use the delicate cycle and soap only (no Downy etc) they hold up well. Mine are starting to look a little ragged but after 6 or 7 years, if the don't, you aren't riding hard enough!
  9. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Klim Dakar. I have the OTB version and they are still going strong now after five or six years. I wash and air dry them after every couple or few rides. Pockets, good hip-to-knee zipper venting, leather on the lower legs, zip and snap fly closure with velcro waist adjusters on the side, hip armor pockets, and easily fits full-on knee brace style armor. I'd say you would be hard pressed to find something else that ticks as many of your boxes.

[​IMG]
  11. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Klim Dakar.

The OTB version has pockets for D3O knee and hip armour. The ITB version doesn’t. Both versions will fit knee pads/braces.

I use the tactical pant with the ITB Dakar. The padding in the tactical pants has better coverage than the D3O hip pads and (since you mentioned it) having the pads in a pressure suit means less weight pulling your pants down. The Tac pants also cut down on knee pad/brace chafing and have a cycling style chamois in the seat for added comfort.
  12. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Older version (5 year old, maybe more? I bough used) of the dakar "in the boot" here.. I honestly think it ticks all your boxes. Even the hip armor pocket (but I think the newer version does not have this). I wash them regularly (30°C, short cycle, soap only) without issue. They seem to dry pretty fast. Love the pockets on the tights, very accessible while on the bike and won't drop their content on opening like usual "cargo pocket".

If I had to pick an issue i'd say the "inside the boot" part is of course very soft/flexible/tapered (and part mesh which is a good thing there). So if you put them on in a hurry you have to aim right with your feet as your toes can stay stuck in the process :roflBut that's it really.
  13. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Smith's Ferry ride Idaho.jpg Another vote for Klim Dakar pants

I have the OTB version. They have held up well

I have a few pairs of MX ITB pants from Fox and Troy Lee Designs. The Dakar are my current go to pant especially when I am adventure riding on a multi day trip
  14. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would also look into the Mosko Moto Basilisk Pants or the upcoming Woodsman pants. The Basilisk pants are E vent so not exactly in your preference of materials but the vents are nice and big. I have worn them in triple digits on a big bike and never would of guessed they were waterproof. Just another option for you to look into.
  15. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I really like the look and features of that MoskoMoto Basilisk, though it's too much club for what I need the lighter weight stuff for. If I start doing any real adventure riding I may well go for a set of Basilisk gear.

I think I'm going to get a pair of Fox Legion LT pants in Navy first, and in a few months follow that up with a pair of Klim Dakar OTB pants. Also need to work on getting myself some better protective gear without making it so hot and uncomfortable that I can't ride effectively. It really is a tradeoff. Kind of tired of my heavy Arai XD4, too. Would really like a lighter more technical trail specific helmet. I like the white 509 Altitude but they're all gone, apparently.
  16. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Fox Legion gear. It’s really nice stuff for off-roading, but on road there’s not a lot of abrasion protection. If you’re going to dual sport I’d offer that the Dakar’s are a better choice.
  17. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am like a snowman in July and my two favorites for helping keep me cool is the leatt gpx 6.5 helmet it is an absolutely awesome helmet it is smaller in stature and I find I can duck under stuff far better than ever and it breaths great because it has slots like on a mountain bike helmet. Again leatt this time thier 3d airfit body protector it breaths great as well as the protection.
  18. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Klim Dakar or Klim Mojave.

BP
  19. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. I'll wear my BMW Rallye 3 for dual sport. They're really more Adv pants but they do okay. They're just baggier than I'd like, though they vent well and have pockets.

I'll check this stuff out! Thanks for the info. There is SO much out there it's almost impossible to come to a conclusion without some actual user feedback. Is that Leatt helmet, carbon?
  20. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    it has carbon not sure if it is all carbon.