OH deer #2

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Chazzz, May 14, 2018.

1. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So strange that I woke up thinking about deer strikes and what the odds may be that someone hits a deer twice on the same bike in the same area. Also though about Oh2ridemore whom I met in Colorado about a year ago as we were both traveling solo and I saw he recently had an encounter with a deer.

Anyways, August 2015 I hit a deer in the evening out of nowhere. I maybe had a moment to tense up but can remember very little. Hit the deer at 55mph(speed limit) and came off pretty hard. Had a decent puncture in my arm from the antlers as well as some pretty torn up knees. Had taken my areostich road rafter pants off shortly before the incident. Several broken ribs and fractures shoulder blade. Bike had 5,200 miles on it at the time but was deemed repairable. Took about a month before I could get on a bike again and a few months to get the vstrom back in the road.

I was wearing a first gear jacket, icon boots, a fly dual sport helmet, cheap glove and jeans like a dumb ass. Most everything did it’s job respectably. I am extra thankful for the boots as you can see below.

AF66A358-A1D2-4ACD-8E1B-52653A71ED12.jpeg
    927513B7-056F-43C9-BAD0-B3EBEB8BCA29.jpeg
    D8A74DE4-F985-4365-A971-C51B546D471B.jpeg
    8A54F452-AD7D-4FC7-AEEA-06CC5BCFC17B.jpeg

After the first incident and getting back on the bike I started riding 10x more than before. Rain, dark, light snow, freezing temps, I just can’t get enough.

Since the accident I’ve knocked out another 47k on the vstrom in addition to the multiple other bikes I have, vstrom being he primary rider.

Yesterday morning around 7am I was on my way to visit my mom for Mother’s Day with intentions of riding all day after visiting. About 20 miles from home I created a hill at around 55mph(speed limit) and again one of those fuckers try to take me down.

This time around I had a second to think before impact and the deer was much smaller. Took a dead center broadside strike at speed. Slid to a stop off the right side of the road but kept it upright. Would have stayed on the road if the headlight frame wasn’t smashed into the forks preventing any type of left turn. Picked the shit up, got a ride home, got a truck, picked the bike up, and pulled another bike out of the garage.

Vstrom had 52,000 miles this time around. ALL I can do is think about getting out and riding every spare moment I have. Hopefully my luck does not run out. I am certainly thankful to be without injury this time around... what are the odds of a 3rd time? Hopefully I don’t find out.

Be safe out there!
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few from yesterday.

The irony of my post about deer whistles in the weekly Ohio ADV dinner thread. A week or so ago. “Just get deer whistles and forget about it” I say.
    321497A8-E4EC-4CB8-BD74-D4FEFD7303F7.jpeg
    3EBBF678-3C8F-4C52-9C78-9D6241C1977D.jpeg
    3CD4D88D-BB9C-4EE7-BD6D-D0F354B1AB04.jpeg
    FA7722B7-6EBA-4706-BF60-2F1004F7B348.jpeg
    9Realms likes this.
  3. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holeey Shit that's a lot of damage! Good job staying upright!
    Chazzz likes this.
  4. Ride!

Ride! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn. We have almost the same story.

Mother’s Day around noon. Totaled my Africa Twin. I went down in full gear but slid so far it ground both gloves down.

Glad you’re around to tell the story

6BCC0E62-C88A-48C4-A186-188154251E7D.jpeg
  5. Ride!

Ride! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    0C94EED8-2EF6-4A75-87B6-68BFBE9D509B.jpeg

Hit her broadside and spun that ass around.
  6. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crazy... hope you're getting along well! I might have to start hunting next season to assist in getting more of those bastards out of here.
  7. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn Chazz! Well I am finally well enough to go out riding and clutching. Took out the dirtbike today for inspection and plate renewal. Got in 15 miles or so, gonna commute tomorrow to work if rain holds off.
    So takeaways, no ride at dusk unless you cover brake, no ride solo, have a satellite transponder, and maybe think of buying flight evac insurance. Who knows, it sucked so bad and I dont remember any of the accident. Wife not happy.
    Chazzz likes this.
  8. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Cripes!

(I was going to say "oh deer", but though it was totally inappropriate and juvenile) :lol3

Leaping Deer Side View.svg.hi.png

Ride safe buddy!
    Chazzz likes this.
  9. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're making your way back around. I'm gonna need a nice big brush guard next time.
  10. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Brutal... And very lucky both times!
    Maybe the bike attracts deer?

Hopefully this is your last one.
    Chazzz likes this.
  12. moto_myke

moto_myke n00b

Oddometer:
    Chazz,
    Glad youre okay. I have to ask, what part of Ohio were yoiu riding in when this happened?
    Chazzz likes this.
  13. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly the Coshocton county area. I actually had an accident on one of my other bikes on Thursday as well so I am out of commission for a while. I am a little discouraged at this time but hoping for a quick recovery and some better luck once I get back out there.
  14. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I hit one summer 2016 (big ouch) and another spring 2017 (small ouch). I am deer free since then, but thinking 3rd time may be inevitable.
    Chazzz likes this.
  15. EASiRider

EASiRider Trying to figure it all out, just like you are.

Oddometer:
    Ive been thinking about the deer out here in our area. Seems I run into them all the time going down Routt Road. I see them pretty regularly in certain spots.
  16. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd stay off those wooded back roads between (and including) dusk through dawn if I were you. Ohio is also a top 5 deer strike risk state.

(also take into account probably traffic flow at those hours).
    [​IMG]
    Oilhed and Biddles like this.
  17. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad your ok after your altercations with Deer it reminded me of Kangaroos and Wombats which seem to be the same problem over here in Australia on our roads. I’ve hit two Roos on my Gsa and flattened left hand pannier but stayed upright,it was one of the most frightening experiences seeing the dumb animal flash out in front of you and wait for the impact.
    Chazzz likes this.
  18. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like a kangaroo would be worse than a deer honestly.
    mudmonster likes this.
  19. FatherX

FatherX riding down the spiral Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tammy likes this.
  20. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    How do we import Chronic Wasting Disease? Damn deer are thick here in Missouri too. Sick and tired of worrying about hitting them on the bike. Now conservation wants to import elk. We have bear migrating in from Arkansas. Hitting an animal is my biggest fear.
    Chazzz likes this.