OH deer #2

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Chazzz, May 14, 2018.

1. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find that blipping the throttle better than the horn for getting animals out of the way. But it only works if you have the time after seeing them. To the OP. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Chazzz likes this.
  2. Shoppingcart111

Shoppingcart111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found whistles attracts them, they hear the noise and get curious, come to the road to find out what it is and then freak out and run, BAM
  3. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't kill them they'll beat the sh*t out of you. but what do I know.....
    Chazzz likes this.
  4. Firestorm;

Firestorm; Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Late to this thread but I thought I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I hit a bear years ago when I was still riding cruisers. The really dumb part was I saw him down in the ditch. Like many of us out there I figured “ hey, the bear sees me so all is good”. So did I start to slow down?......hell no. The next thing I know he’s coming out of the ditch and running full speed. Of course I swerved left to avoid him which happened to be the way he was running. I remember seeing him spin in circles after the impact and then drag himself into the bush with just his front legs. Unbelievably I kept the bike upright (Victory cross country) and coasted to a stop. Later on I thought to myself what an idiot I was . Of course the bear saw you. But does it know what a motorcycle is? Does it have any concept of the speed I’m traveling? It’s why deer whistles don’t work. Sure the deer sees your bike, but be prepared for it to bolt out in front of you at the last second. And if there’s one on the road, there’s probably two or three hiding in the bush. These days I slow down and double check. That cold beer at the end of the day can wait just a little bit longer.
    danielbak, 9Realms and Chazzz like this.
  5. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    Well I hit a deer in Pennsylvania around 6-7 pm. That time seems to be the high point, and that chart is worth a look for everyone even those in lower populated deer states. Once 6PM rolls around I'm off the road!
    danielbak and Snapper like this.
  6. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have Chronic wasting disease. BUT be careful what you wish for. If it jumps from deer to humans the harvest will stop, and there will be more deer not less. You hit one and get some deer stuff on you, then you might catch it. Not treatable you die. No one knows if it jumps or not yet. It will affect monkeys so do you feel lucky?

Rod
    neanderthal likes this.
  7. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    You will love Elk. They seldom run across the road, they just kind of stroll over from the shoulder and stop in the middle waiting for their friends. If I see an animal I hit the brakes right away. Of course it's the ones you don't have a chance to see that get you.
    brenter and Lars C (DK) like this.
  8. firemanonabike

firemanonabike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was an article in one of the hunting magazines. The fish and game agency in Utah did a study on deer whistles. There conclusion was deer whistles do not work.
  9. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    New product idea. Deer loud pipes. No Baffles, whistles instead. Pointed out to the side and forward. More noise to make everyone fear your presence. And with more obnoxious

Rod.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer: