1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oh goody .... a tire thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cyclecat, Oct 10, 2002.

1. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    The rear tire on my Quota actually looks pretty good at 5K miles. But I'm headed to Arkansas next week for six days of motorcycle fun. I expect to add 1500-2000 miles by the time I get back home. I was thinking about ordering a tire now, so it would be ready to mount when I get back.

The main options I'm considering are:
    -Pirelli Scorpion (original tire on the Quota) or an MT 80.
    -Metzeler Tourance or Enduro 4. (Seems like a lot of you are
    using the Tourance, but I've read some of y'all have
    experienced squirminess.)
    -Dunlop D604. (Had these on the Duc Elefant, and luved 'em.)

I'm a fan of Metzelers myself, but I've been happy with the Pirelli that's on the bike. Have you all tried any of these tires, and have any input? I do want to stick with a street-oriented dual sport tire.
  2. bear

bear Guest

Hey are you going up to Arkansas for the Lonestar rally?

Okay tires, well I had the dunlops on my Gs and loved em but I can't find them anywhere.
    I have the metzlers it is my 2nd set of em and I think they are good tires but they break away at weird times and that takes a while to get use to.

Sorry I have not used the pirelli's.
  3. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Never had a problem with Tourance - except in the mud and slippery river crossings, where they suck!

For asphalt they are great, off-road OK, the harder the off-road - worse they perform.

It's a compromise as always.
  4. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I like the Tourances. The Bridgestone Trailwings that came on my GS did well too, but everyone here seems to hate them for some reason.
  5. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Trailwings = 4000 miles and they were toast
    Tourances = 6000 miles and if I hadn't put a plug in the rear it probably would have gone another 2000 Ok, maybe 1000 :dunno

So that's ALMOST double the milage (YMMV :evil )

Greg
  6. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    My Trailwings lasted as long as the Tourances, but I moved from Texas to Wisconsin and back. The roads here seem to be harder on tires.
  7. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    I don't do a lot of mud or river stuff, so it's prolly not a big deal. I ride 90% road, and otherwise dry trails.

I'm thinking about sticking with Pirelli for the rear till I wear out the front, then trying the Metzelers at both ends. I've always preferred them on my other bikes, but never tried their dual sport stuff.

Nah. Just doing some vacation with the wife. She rides a Guzzi of her own. A Jackal 1100. We got a room at the inn on the Talimena Parkway, and the leaves are supposed to be changing colors in mid Oct-early Nov.

The Lone Star BMW Riders rally in Eureka Springs akshooly isn't til Oct 25-27... a week after we come home.