1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh no, not another "which tyres" thread!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JMick, Sep 18, 2020.

1. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    My theory has always been if they are wearing then they are gripping (something). On my 800GS's the TKC80 was always the best all round tyre, particularly on dirt, but they wore out quicker than others I tried. The others I tried (about half a dozen different brands) all lasted longer but had nowhere near the performance so went back to the 80's.

Currently have the Mitas E07's on the new 1250GSA and really like them on and off road AND they are lasting. In saying that they have done 6,500 now and the rear looks like it may have another thou or so left but I am noticing it is spinning up more on dirt and occasionally bitumen. That said I never got more than 5,000 out of the TKC80's on the 800's so I am still happy. I haven't been anywhere in the rain yet so cannot speak for them in the wet.
  2. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    My go to up front is a TKC80 and rear either Mitas E07 in it's various formats or Shinko 805. It's easier to suggest not what to use than what to use. For me that is Hidenau's. Effing awfull things. What K's others get is rather meaningless as well. I routinely get 22,000 - 25,000 klms out of the a front TKC80's and 20,000 klms out of my rears, pretty much regardless what I run, constantly two up on an 16 Africa Twin. Totally dependent on your (my) riding style and pressures mainly. For example, I'm big on engine braking, smooth riding style (Miss Daisy on back remember) and maintain high pressures nearly all the time. Oh, and I'm anal about wheel alignment. If your tyres are scalloping for example, then most likely your pressure is too low.
    Blakduk likes this.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    And how hard you are squeezing the front brake.