Oh, What to do ...........

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Gezerbike, Feb 23, 2018.

1. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Great deal! FYI, my boxer isn't a fan of riding in my sidecar, so take it sloooow. Enjoy your new ride!
  2. norton(kel)

norton(kel) vintage

Oddometer:
    :clap:clapCongratulations :clap:clap

Very good price, Enjoy Enjoy!!!
  3. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Thanks. On my test ride I took it over to a friends house who has an old 650 and he said if I didn't buy it......he would. He also said that if I wanted to part with it, call him first. So I got a nice hack at a good price and if it doesn't work out, someone else will get a good deal and I won't be hurt too much. As for my Boxer, he's going on 10 ands I doubt his heart would be in it anyway. The wolf dog will be a different story....same with my grandson. :D
    AllyTrash and norton(kel) like this.
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    No need to repaint. It's already the right color. :D
  5. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    What a great way to try something new! If you love it and you want a new one someday, you'll know what to look for in a new rig. If you don't, you won't lose thousands on depreciation. Congrats!
    norton(kel) likes this.
  6. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    Try to do all my bike purchases that way. I've probably had 15 or so in the last 25 years and have been able to do that by not loosing my ass. But sometimes you have to jump on it, like this purchase. I wasn't even looking yesterday morning.
  7. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    My sentiments. :-) I was reading the owners manual tonight and here they are recommending Castrol 20/50, my favorite oil.... from back in the 90's.:lol3 It's almost impossible to find these days. I feel like I have stepped into a time capsule. Carbs, clunky trans, tubed tires, Castrol Dino oil, and in the transmission as well, drum brakes, the list goes on. I think I'll pinch myself..........
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Walmart has the Castrol Dino oil. If no Wally's near you, 5 qts for $13 (shipped) from Amazon--LINK
  9. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    I was surprised that it only holds 2 quarts.
  10. Kruzof

Kruzof independently poor

Oddometer:
    That's nuthin.
    Wait a few months until you realize that your other bike hasn't moved.
    Old story. You've been warned.
    :lol3

And check out www.sovietsteeds.com.
    Everything Ural is there--including oil discussions.
    :beer
  11. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    meh...my 2 wheeler gets taken out as many times as the outfit, and always for the longer trips.
  12. Kruzof

Kruzof independently poor

Oddometer:
    You don't travel on snow-covered roads?
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard of snow...even seen it in pictures. But here in California they put a child safety cap on it

[​IMG]
    Bobmws and Kruzof like this.
  14. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
  15. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    Weather was nice here today so I picked up the rig late morning and brought it home. When I rode it Saturday, it was twitchie as all get out. Damper was pretty much cranked down to almost tight, so after thinking about it over the weekend I decided to try a different approach. Once I had it on the road and going about 40, I started backing off the damper to the point there was no pressure on it. No twitchieness and straight as an arrow. WOO HOO!!! Snugged it a bit and done.

Got it home, and though the dealer had cleaned it up just before I got there, it wasn't to my standards (read: anal ) so I went over the whole rig, frame included, a good way to learn the little details of the bike as I cleaned and waxed it. I said it before, the bike is like off the showroom. Unbelievable. One small 1/8 " scuff near the trunk handle, but, opening the trunk, a bonus.......a bottle each of red and black factory touch up paint ( never opened ). The trunk has never seen use and the same goes for the chair....no one has ever sat in it.

After cleaning and looking at everything, time for a ride. I thru in an ounce of Startron and after stopping at friend's home to show it off, I ran up to the local Shell. I figured that the PO had owned it 5 years and put about 4 tanksful in those 5 years. doG only knows how old the gas in it might be, so besides the Startron ( love the stuff ) I filled it up with 93 octane. I was surprised it took 4.4 gallons, so must have been running on fumes. Now I know this sounds silly, but what a difference that fresh 93 octane made. Bike ran smoother and pulled harder, especially on the top end. Pulled to 65 easily, where as before it struggled to hit 55. Nice.

Got home and found my first " issue ". parking brake would not engage. 2 minutes with a 10mm and all was well. Probably never used. Then I adjusted the LED headlight up a bit. Then decided for shit and grins to hook up the Twin Max just to see where we were at...cost nothing, right ? At idle, the needle was dead square on the zero hash mark. Ran it up to 3,500 rpms and it never drifted off the center of the hash mark, going up and coming down. Perfect. Can't begin to tell you how happy I am so far.

I do have a question about windscreens. I am looking at the smaller National Cycle screen, 14" tall with adjustable mounts. Just want to break some of the chest pressure on longer rides, with easy removal for hotter weather. Any comments or thoughts or experiences ?
    Bobmws and DRONE like this.
  16. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    Ridn3 and Bobmws like this.
  17. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are near the Wisconsin border go to the Budget Barn inEdgerton Wi. He’s got a ton of different shields. I also may have one you’d like. PM me.
  18. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    Personal is the answer. I met the original owner today. His name and address were on a box of stock parts that came with the bike, and he is only 5 miles or so from my home. Happy to have me stop by. Reason for selling ? He never liked the bike from day one. Kept adding stuff to it but it didn't help. He came from regular bikes and this never did anything like a regular bike. Took several day trips early, then it was relegated to local family functions like riding kids around the ball park and such. No one wanted to ride in the hack and he took the dual seat off early on so no passengers. Sat its' whole life in his garage with a Battery Tender on. Oil in it now is the original. Never saw a dealer after he bought it since he really didn't drive it. The dealer I bought it from gave him $ 5500.00 as trade for a Ford p/u.
    Bobmws likes this.