OH2AK One more item off the list!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nunzo, Jun 14, 2019.

1. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes-Another Alaska by bike Epic Ride Report. But is it really like the rest? Who knows until we get to the end.

People have asked me why ride a motorcycle that distance and why do it solo? The short answer why not challenge myself physically, emotionally and accomplish this ride when I still have my health. (55 yrs young and not getting any younger!) Kids are out of school and living on their own. Any my wife could use a break from me until we meet in Vancouver!

Another reason for the trip was the discussion I had with my sister during her chemotherapy where she insisted I enjoy life as we only have once chance at happiness. She also regretted not fulfilling her “bucket list” when she was healthy. Rather, she was trying to cross items off her “List” while she was beyond sick, fighting an aggressive form of ovarian cancer and the toll of heavy doses of chemo. Regretfully, she passed in 2014 at 52 yrs of age and her words still echo. Enough of the negative mojo and sorrow!

Helmet time, is exactly what is needed these days and I expect to return more centered and fully recharged like my new Shorai Lithium battery recently installed in my Tiger 800.

In 2009, I traveled the southwest US for 12 days on my KTM 990 mostly off pavement and camping the majority of the time. The routine was...ride, hike, take photos, get gas/food when necessary, find a place to sleep when you get tired...RINSE and then REPEAT for 11 more days! Nothing beats adventure travel and living off your bike for an extended trip. I hope to experience and enjoy this trip to Alaska in a similar fashion! Here are a couple pics from that journey...

Vegas-Ohio June 09 013.jpg Vegas-Ohio June 09 111.jpg Vegas-Ohio June 09 154.jpg

Sold the KTM a while back and went from Austrian high-performance to British practicality and comfort (Triumph Tiger 800XCX). IMG_1294.JPG

As the trip commences, I'll upload photos and daily logs as time allows and Wi-Fi is available.

ENJOY!
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride smart and safe (you are alone). Meet fellow riders en route at gas stations, campgrounds, wherever.

I ride to keep sane. 61 now. I go wherever and if someone wants to ride along with me, fine. If not, fine. Did AK, YT, BC, and AB last summer. Planning a Trans Canadian adventure for next summer.

Enjoy. And your sister was right: do as much as you can while you can. No one ever knows what may happen next.
    pratered and bobw like this.
  3. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun! I also prefer to ride solo, let a friend ride north with me last August and pretty much ruined my trip. Did a couple weeks solo in Morocco this May and it was great!
  4. zhousir19820815

zhousir19820815 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good trip
  5. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip .
  6. nunzo

Oddometer:
    Happy 4th of July...One week to departure date. Took a shakedown ride today with panniers all loaded up. Needed to switch some items around to get good balance between the bags. Yep it was a hot and sticky one in Ohio today. Hoping for some cooler weather. Here are a couple pics, minus my dry bag which will go on top of the Rotopax.

96000124-4F8C-461B-BFAF-87BC0B0D209A.jpeg 34F6B5E4-FDF2-4AAF-BDF6-7E581C3F1BD5.jpeg
    StinkyCheese, bobw and Lundy like this.
  7. Lundy

Lundy n00b

Oddometer:
    Safe travels man! Crayne here. Figured I’d make an account to follow you!
    nunzo likes this.
  8. nunzo

Oddometer:
    53576DB0-28D8-4C87-95A5-59599EA74147.jpeg DAY 1. Columbus OH to Peoria, IL. 385 miles.
    Sure just jump on the bike and ride for 7 1/2 hours across the flatlands of western Ohio, Indiana and Illinois! A couple ibuprofen later and my lower back is back in shape. :). Not much to see today other than a lot of corn and soybean fields and wind farms (turbines). I also stumbled through Huntington, IN and got a picture of the Dan Quayle Museum (which was closed). Started thinking of the famous 1988 quote “Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy” while parking my Triumph at the curb... Would it be appropriate to say Triumph Tiger...you’re no KTM Adventure?
    BE16DA09-25DF-40CF-9C36-34AF6209FB26.jpeg
    Critic, 72 Yamaha RD350 and bobw like this.
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taking a couple of anti-inflammatories before getting on the bike is a good idea. Then another when you get off at the end of the day's ride.
    nunzo likes this.
  10. nunzo

Oddometer:
    DAY 2. Peoria IL to Sioux City IA 471 Miles.
    The day started early in the am to beat the afternoon temperatures. Looking at WeatherBug showed storms along the northern route...So I stayed south of them and decided to check out Ottumwa, IA (yes the home of Radar O’Reilly from MASH 4077 fame).

Well get this...there is no recognition of Radar anywhere in town. I asked a couple locals and I was informed that the Ottumwa Local Historic Society invited the original crew from MASH to their town for a reunion and no body wanted to come! Lol...After spending some time in town I now know why!

More corn fields and crossed the Mississippi River into southern Iowa which has quite a bit of relief (relatively speaking after the plains of the Midwest). The Loess Hills region is pretty nice minus the extensive wind turbines. Check out this one that was on display at a Rest Area. Pretty Cool when you see up close.

148 feet long and 23,098 pounds for one blade! Pretty Impressive.

Attached Files:

11. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following along, safe travels on your journey north (and west) to AK. Have a buddy that did a ride to AK last year and the photos he shared are incredible, especially traveling through the Canadian Rockies and the glaciers.

Safe travels on your solo adventure :thumb
    nunzo likes this.
  12. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in - have an enjoyable ride
    nunzo likes this.
  13. Donlee

Donlee n00b

Oddometer:
  14. Donlee

Donlee n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey John....Larry and I are following you! Glad everything is going so well. Pictures are great...happy trails and be safe!!!
    nunzo likes this.
  15. nunzo

Oddometer:
    DAY 3 Sioux City, IA to Hot Springs, SD. 442 Miles
    Got a late start this morning 8:30am and continued pointing my bike west and occasionally north. Quite hot running across eastern South Dakota. Stayed off the Interstates again and got to see some VERY remote portions of rural South Dakota. Scenery kept improving as I traveled further west (as I was hoping). Stopped for gas at Fort Randall Dam and was happy to see a body of water larger than a river or farm pond. Strong west/southwest winds required a lean left as the side winds (20-25 mph) were fierce today. When I stopped later in the afternoon, you could see the wear on the tires from the bike being jacked into the wind all day.

9BD7D6BC-91C5-44B2-A0BB-FBC95BDDABD8.jpeg B3BBD926-E46E-43CF-ACDE-C35C5B064EE5.jpeg 5602E814-6775-4B98-8BB8-47540BB9A351.jpeg

There was a heat advisory this afternoon in the Missouri River valley near the dam . It was supposed to be 105F and luckily I passed through earlier in the day when it was ONLY 95 degrees. Most of the route was along the Lewis and Clark Trail and Oyate Trail (Routes 50 & 18). The trails go across some beautiful countryside and represents the lands of the Lakota Sioux Indian Tribe.

Swung by the Wounded Knee Massacre site for some photos and to pay respect. 8ADA4918-76F8-4A27-9C87-26D32BC62ABC.jpeg AA66311E-793C-4D1C-B82E-FB8370858E8E.jpeg
    EFC762A1-87DA-4791-A838-CB5A7CB00538.jpeg

Arrived late in Hot Springs where some AC and a shower were in order! Looking forward to riding the Needles Highway in the Black Hills tomorrow.

Attached Files:

pratered likes this.
  16. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're going to love Needles Highway...try to hit Vanocker and Spearfish Canyon and Tiger-Mystic roads and 16A and 87 south and...and....and...great riding area!
  17. nunzo

Oddometer:
    Thanks...planning will commence in the morning!
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update @nunzo! That's a bunch of miles in the saddle, especially in the heat. Cool pics from SD, not what I pictured in my mind (think of SD and think of the bad lands).

Hope the rip into the Black Hills is good and you enjoy the ride man, keep the sticky side down :ricky
  19. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get to Custer or Hill City, look for Maria's Restaurant for GREAT Mexican food...In Custer, it's a food trailer...

[​IMG]
  20. bmoto54

bmoto54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John have a great trip! I’m jealous and will live vicariously through you. Subscribed.
    Brad