1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, am I in the right forum?

Second: I'm thinking of actually trying to get on some fire trails and stuff for the first time with the Capo.

Any suggestions, ride-ins, whatnot would be appreciated!

I'm in central Ohio, but I'll take info from anywhere within a hundred miles or so from Columbus.
  2. Zeewe70

Zeewe70 Beer and more Beer

Oddometer:
    You find the fire roads I'll join you. Akron, OH.
  3. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer:
    Hey, I am in Columbus. Haven't hit any real trails or anything but I am sure southern OH, ie hocking hills and that area has stuff to ride on.
  4. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

I know there are a bunch of Ohio folks who have been long time members here, but frankly, I'm not sure if Ohio is considered EAST or CENTRAL with this new forum setup.

Personally, I'd prefer "Great Lakes Region".

Those guys are veterans- they know the roads we can find.

:freaky
  5. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    good call
  6. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    I prefer "Great Lakes Region" too. :thumb
    It could encompass Ohio, Michigan, Indian, Wisconsin, Illinois ... :nod
    I'm in Columbus. In case any of y'all ever want to get together, let me know by PMing me or emailing me at bmwrider@advrider.com.
  7. ktrjc

ktrjc Displaced Yooper

Oddometer:
    I vote for Great Lakes region too. Used to live in the U.P. of Michigan, now live just southeast of Columbus. Have a V-Strom 650, don't know how good it would do on fire roads with the stock Bridgestone Trailwings, but hey I will try almost anything once. If I end up dead I won't do that again.

Ken
  8. Zeewe70

Zeewe70 Beer and more Beer

Oddometer:
    Great Lakes Region sounds good. Just let me know, the Hocking Hills area sounds like a good place to ride. PM me if you all want to get together, just got the bike and want to ride.
  9. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Or at least list the states encompassed by the "Central" title, like Thumpertalk does.
  10. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Xman,

Check out Wayne National Forrest. Trailheads around the New Straightsville area and Murray City are the ones I'm familiar with. Tons of trails :thumb
  11. iceweazel

iceweazel mechanic-ly inclined

Oddometer:
    heh. I was going to suggest Wayne NF as well.
    Got an old KLR and I'm looking to find some good riding around the state as well. Just let us know what kinda tires the rides you find take.

If you hit the WNF page, don't let the weird text on APV reg fool ya. If you have a current valid license plate, registration, and drivers license WITH Motorcycle endorsement, you only need the trail permit.

Not sure if you could ride with M-temps. dirt bikes and 4 wheelers need that weird APV reg now. I'd never heard of that so I called the ranger station and asked about dual sports.

Woman said they have almost no street or DS riders come through. Sounds like it's time to change that!

Found this page that lists a few state forests with apv trails. http://www.placesohio.com/ohio-state-forests/

Ed
    cow-lumbus
  12. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer:
    I just stopped in Iron Pony motorcycle accessory shop off St. Rt. 161 (Dublin-Granville Rd) and noticed they had a sign for Wayne National Forest permits. They are $25 seasonal pass, $10 for two days and $5 for a daily pass. They also have really nice topo maps of the area and trails along with the rules, directions and contact numbers. The map was free!
  13. somecallmetim

somecallmetim Surf &/or Die

Oddometer:
  14. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Any of you Ohia boys going to Cro-Mag's?
  15. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

basically all lands ruled by the chaingolian dynasty :evil with the exception of the big O :lol3
  16. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Man I sure would like to but I've been taking a bunch of time off this summer.
    Let's see how it goes

You know work? yff :lol3
  17. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Expadrex, I sure wore out a lot of enduro machines down around Athens, Vinton, Meggs and Hocking counties back in the 60s and 70s. I don't know if you still can but Wayne Nation forest had some really bitching trails. The gravel roads are pretty good in that earea as well. Haven't got to ride up there in over 30 years, sure miss it. I am burning up the road here in the south now on my GL1800. Gonna own a 1200GS soon so I can re-capture the thrill of mud roster tails. Anyway, hope you find some on the Metzeler 450 tracks I left up there.

Tom AKA Texas Black Bird
  18. iceweazel

iceweazel mechanic-ly inclined

Oddometer:
    From the odnr site:

"Four all-purpose vehicle (APV) areas are provided at Maumee, Pike, Perry, and Richland Furnace State Forests. Vehicles are limited to 48 inches width or less, and 40 horsepower or less. Except within the Perry APV Area, riding is restricted to designated trails."

Toss in the national Forest, and the SE of the state, looks like some fun close to home. :D

I'd love to hit Cro-mags, but I'm thinking about Copper Canyon Mexico with the Horizons Unlimited folks. Gotta save my pesos.
  19. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Who, me? I never touch the stuff! :D

I hope it works out. I'll buy you a cervasa.
  20. dragoon

Oddometer:
    You can buy me won in Ouray :thumb :lol3 :freaky