Ohio to Oregon (and back)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jbar28, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It's been six years since my last road trip.

I was blessed to live in Germany for three years while my wife served in the Air Force. I took four long road trips on my bike, put 25K miles on, and visited 17 countries including a trip over to Morocco.

Since we moved back to the US six years ago I've been busy renovating on old fire house into our home. One of those "one year projects" that takes five or six years... In that time I put less than 10K miles on my trusty 650 Wee-Strom. Just one trip down to The Dragon and puttering around Ohio.

Now that the house is (nearly) finished, and we have friends living in Oregon that we'd like to visit, it's the perfect opportunity to blow the dust off the touring gear. My wife flies out to Portland on the 18th, and I'm supposed to be there to meet her and our rental car. That gives me a nine day head start! We'll stash the bike for ten days and drive around Oregon, then she will fly home and I'll hop back on the bike and figure a route back east.

IMG_20190907_153813572.jpg

I have camping gear I bought six years ago but have never used. I've never been west of Ohio on a motorcycle. I've never contacted anyone on the Tentspace Map. I've never considered packing bear spray until now. It's time to change those things.

Route will be boring flat roads from Ohio to the Black Hills, then towards Beartooth. Up to Helena MT, then south through western Idaho to Lewiston, and eventually over to Portland. Feel free to make suggestions along that basic line. Route home may include a dip down to Lake Tahoe, across US 50 in Nevada, and the Rockies in Colorado if they aren't covered in snow the first week of October.

Leaving tomorrow!!
    dogrange, damasovi and Snapper33 like this.
  2. tt100

tt100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excited for you! And on the same day I'm entertaining an offer on my bike, too
  3. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is so many things to see between Ohio and the west it would be hard to list them all here. on the way out or back you should a least ride through Yellowstone. If you just burn one day and ride through you can see a lot of the highlights. IMO worth the time. Rt 50 across the west is one of my favorite routes.
  4. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Starting to rain out here this week. :D:D:D:D (Oregon)
    Just got back from a 4 state tour. Was close to YS but was told it was a parking lot.
    Make sure your heated gear is up to snuff.
    Good time to visit Yellowstone, now that the yard rats should be back in school.
    When in Yellowstone, get up early to avoid crowds.
    If you are at a view spot and see a tour bus pull up, just leave and come back later.
    If you come to a traffic jam, just nose thru with your bike.
    Some people have never seen a deer out side a zoo and stop in the middle of the road regardless.
    Enjoy....ex Buckeye here, removed 43 years.
    Little Bike likes this.
  6. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following!

You are going to be doing much of the same route I did 2 years ago - so much to see! Go ahead and get yourself a National Parks pass, you'll get your use out of it!

Make time to see the Minuteman Missile Silo if you haven't already - get a reservation for the guided tour if you can.

https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm
    i4bikes and chudzikb like this.
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you go to Tahoe go down to the south end and take the 89 through Markleeville to the 395 then the 395 north to the 50. Out of the way, but a really, really nice ride.
    Duanob, joelee and i4bikes like this.
  8. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today was just bout getting there, getting miles on headed west. I was worried how I would feel being back on the bike for many hours, after six years away from touring. But 580 miles today and I don't hurt too bad (wait til tomorrow!) so I guess it's OK. We shall see.

On my way out of town this morning I stopped in the part of Dayton known as the Oregon District to take a picture. Seemed like a place to start when riding to Oregon, right? Nobody outside of Dayton had heard of the Oregon District until last month when some fool shot up the place and killed 9 people on a Saturday night. Anyway, this is about a mile from where I live and my wife and I walk down there to have dinner once a month or so, and its the Oregon District, so here it is.

P1070452.JPG

Then I got on the highway and headed west. Made it to Champaign IL about lunch time, checked Yelp for someplace to eat, and ended up at the same BBQ place my wife and I went two years ago on our way to Colorado. I guess I have a type, huh? Anyway it was good two years ago and good today, so Black Dog Smokehouse is A+ in my book.

I just kept rolling on the miles and feeling good, finally I hit Pella, Iowa and that's when I decided I'd had enough. There really is a huge Dutch style windmill right in the middle of Pella.

P1070463.JPG

Many of the older buildings look very Dutch. The town was settled by 800 Dutch settlers in the 1850's. It's just an interesting looking place. Not a lot going on this Monday night in mid-September, but it's a pretty place. I recommend The Peanut Bar for a great craft beer selection (Imperial barrel-aged Oktoberfest Marzen??? Which is darn good BTW) with a takeout from George's across the street. Ended up chatting with a guy who races Spec Miata's at the bar and a couple at my motel that are on their way home from riding the TAT, her on a Honda and he on a Royal Enfield dirt bike. I had planned to camp at Lake Red Rock but there are three wave of thunderstorms in the area tonight, and I'm just not ready to be that hard core yet about the camping thing. I'll get there sooner or later.

P1070464.JPG

Coming into Pella along US 34 was this really cool old car place, just catches my eye and makes me want to explore, but was there too late, the gate was locked.

P1070461.JPG

Tomorrow is another "getting there" day. I'll likely end up some place in NW Nebraska, and then make it to the Black Hills Wednesday morning.
    dogrange, MYUMPH, DiggerD and 2 others like this.
  9. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    When you get back to Ohio, and miss the woods of Oregon, go find Oregon Falls in Ohio.
  10. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I slept poorly and when I did awaken at 6AM it was to the sound of pretty heavy rain. I looked at the weather radar and saw a large band of thunderstorms and heavy rain passing over De Moines, the direction I was to be going. It was supposed to clear around ten. I decided I wasn’t ready to dive in to the rain, so I had time to kill.

P1070465.JPG

I walked downtown and got some coffee and pastries at one of the Dutch bakeries. What really impressed me was downtown Pella. Beautiful square with Dutch looking buildings, two bakeries, a fitness studio, an actual auto parts store, and all kinds of things. All clean and well maintained. I guess being the home of Pella windows and Vemeer farm equipment brings some money into the town.

IMG_20190910_073100313.jpg

Also a nicely renovated old fire station. These tend to catch my eye now that I live in one.

IMG_20190909_191757998.jpg

I also saw a woman driving an SUV with a vanity plate that said NATIVE.
    IMG_20190910_075607512.jpg

And she didn’t look ‘native’ as in Native American, so I assume that meant native Iowan. I’ve seen stickers and things like this in Colorado and Vermont and Portland, but in Iowa? Didn’t know being native Iowan was so unusual here.

IMG_20190910_080955692.jpg

I took advantage of a break in the rain to head out (housekeeping kept asking “You still here?”) and made it about ten miles before I hit rain. It didn’t last, but the wet streets combined with streets that had be scraped for resurfacing and maybe my sort of knobby tires (I’m new at that part of it), the bike was squirming all over the place under me. I was certain I was about to crash several times. Whatever town that was, I rode though the whole thing in the gutter.

Stopping for gas a bit later I noticed two things. First, my UCLEAR communicator clip on the side of my helmet was almost unfastened.
    P1070468.JPG

And second, a sign that said Welcome to Madison County. As in, The Bridges place? I guess so. I check and saw there were a whole mess of covered bridges in the area around Winterset, which was up ahead, so there I went.

P1070475.JPG

It was sunny and dry ten minutes later when I got to Winterset, and in the process of going to one of the bridges I passed a sign for John Wayne’s birthplace. Really? That’s right, partner.

P1070469.JPG

Also another old fire station, renovated but being used for storage.

P1070471.JPG

Also in Winterset my V-Strom turned over to 40,000 miles.

P1070477.JPG

It took me ten years and a week to get to that. When I hit 10K it was on my first road trip, while living in Germany I road to Spain, and someplace in the south of France I turned over 10K on the way home. 20K was in Morocco, out in the middle of nothing. 30K was in east Dayton, in front of a mini-mart. And now 40K, in John Wayne’s home town.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  11. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to stop for a photo.

P1070479.JPG

Eventually I stated putting on some miles, and made it to Nebraska. I never knew that the Missouri River valley is HUGE! There I was just rolling along the hills of Iowa, and about ten miles from the Missouri River you come down this hill, and there’s a flood plain that’s a good fifteen miles wide. Really interesting but hard to show in a picture, so I didn’t try.

P1070484.JPG

P1070486.JPG

P1070487.JPG

View attachment 1885168

I finally got on US 20 heading west, planning to ride to Valentine or at least some place further west. I stopped for gas in O’Neill and on the way out of town noticed darkening skies ahead. The weather radar on my phone told tales of severe thunderstorms ahead tonight, with damaging winds and possible tornadoes. Some thing I saw last night. So I did the same thing again, turned around a got a motel room. I swear I’m going to get this camping gear out someday!

581 miles yesterday, and 420 today. I was hoping to get to the Black Hills early tomorrow but I guess I’ll just take it as it comes.
  12. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wifi in my motel is slow so I walked down the street to McD's for a coffee and to use their free wifi, and they have the TV on. News guy is talking about golf-ball sized hail in Wyoming and "lots of stormy weather" in the northern Rockies (where I'm headed). 80% chance of thunderstorms in the Black Hills this afternoon and tonight. :becca So might be another motel night tonight.

I noticed last night that the rain cover for my tank bag seems to have blown off in the rain yesterday. The NWS just issued a flash flood warning for the counties along my route this morning... Time for a reroute. Well, wouldn't be fun if it was all easy, would it ? This site ain't called easy rider!
    chudzikb likes this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great scenes of middle America.
  14. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Sounds like a great trip... Might have to make the run next year since I'm retired.
  15. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last night when I got to the hotel I tried to put the bike up on the center stand to lube the chain but I just couldn't do it. Too tired, I thought, so I'll be smart and unload the bike first, then do it. But I forgot. So this morning I go out, load the bike up, get all ready to go, then think about the chain. I still can't do the job, and the center stand is hanging down at some strange angle. It's also missing one of the two mounting plates.

P1070494.JPG

How in the heck did that thing get loose and then fall out? It's been on there for more than 30,000 miles! It's been on there through river crossings in Morocco when the center stand ground on rocks the size of melons! How could it fall off NOW ?? So if anyone has a left side (clutch side?) SW Motoech DL650 center stand mounting plate laying around, just one, (hey, could happen!) let me know. In the mean time lubing the chain will be a bit harder but we'll manage. I also found that one of the side cases had some water in it. How? I've used it for years and it seals so tight I had a hard time opening it once after riding some mountains because it was vacuum locked! I guess the lesson is that things do wear out.

While I'm puzzling over this Heather the hotel owner came over to wish me a good trip. Last night when I got there she hesitantly told me she didn't have any rooms. We got to talking and she came out with her 90 yr old father-in-law three years ago to buy a ranch "out west" and fulfill his dream. As things go, she ended up owning a motel in the "Irish Capitol of Nebraska" instead. She's a Harley rider from York PA, told me she was sorry to turn me out but couldn't throw out a paid customer just for another biker.

SO I went out to the parking lot, got on my phone, and was getting ready to reserve the last room at the Super 8 across the road for $99 when she came out, smiled, and said "I got a room for ya". One of the pilot car drivers from a construction company wasn't going to make it in, so she gave me that room for $58, even gave me the military rate because my wife is a Veteran. Great scenes of middle America, indeed.

Anyway, Heather told me she thought heading west on US 20 would be OK, flash flood warnings or no. As long as I stayed on the main road. So that's what I did, and happily as I could see rain pouring down north of me along my alternate route. Only had one water crossing, couple of inches deep.

P1070497.JPG

Saw tis Divco and COE sitting in front of a body shop along US 20 near Ainsworth.
    P1070496.JPG

Ainsworth Regional Airport used to be Ainsworth Army Airfield, and I ran across this marker honoring two Thunderbolt pilots that died test flying instruments from that field. Made me think of all the people that never went to the "battlefield" but indeed gave their lives fighting for their country.
    P1070498.JPG

A couple miles into South Dakota I passed another mistorical marker, onlhy caught the title but it was somthing about a WWII era fatal crash.

I would recommend US 20 as a good way to get between the Black Hills and points east. It's smooth sailing, 65 mph speed limit, lightly travelled, towns every now and then, and much less boring than an interstate. Not exactly beautiful but not boring. Especially west of Ainsworth. And in between you get a bit of the Badlands. I don't know about others but I only need so much of that. It's interesting for a little while.

The forecast this morning was for rain in the afternoon in Rapid City and the Black Hills, so I was hoping to make good time getting there and went ahead and reserved a room within walking distance of some restaurants. Hey, gotta have priorities! I thought about taking a westerly route up through Hot Springs SD and the Black Hills to get to Rapid City but was afraid I'd get caught in the rain by adding another hour to my route.

Screenshot_20190911-153806.jpg

As it was, I just made it to the motel as it was starting to rain. Having crossed into Mountain Time, it was only 1pm and of course my room wasn't ready. I slipped out of my riding gear and changed into pants in the employees bathroom, bungeed everything to my bike which was parked under the check-in car park, and headed for lunch. I did check with the manager and he said it was fine to leave the bike under the carport. THANKS !!

IMG_20190911_134936430.jpg

Six years ago I got interested in reused fire houses, when my wife and I bought one. You do any looking ont he web and pretty quickly you'll find Firehouse Brewing in Rapid City SD, and having a passing interest in beer as well I've wanted to come here ever since.
    IMG_20190911_140104563 (1).jpg

I have to say the building does not disappoint, it is well done and very neat. The two beers I had I liked, and the smoked brisket Philly was also good.

IMG_20190911_151159862.jpg

The couple in this picture from Firehouse Brewing are Jerry and Ruthie, from Evansville Indiana. He was wearing an MG shirt and they cam in, sat near me, and ordered a sample of all 12 beers. I liked them immediately.

Jerry: "Why are you putting some of them over there where I can't reach them?"
    Ruthie" "Those are the ones I really like."

I asked if they were driving an MG today and they busted out laughing in relief that, no, they are driving another more modern car. But they've driven their '73 MGB out to California three times. Their on their way to Oregon and Washington, the last two continental states they've not visited. Maybe I'll see them out in Oregon, and if I do I'll buy them a beer. But not twelve!

So here I am in Rapid City with pouring rain outside, so thick you can't even see the Hills. The thunder sounds like a hundred kids playing with bubble wrap. But at least my clothes are spread out in front of the AC blowing on high, and I've got fast internet, so it isn't all bad. And if I had to pick one place in the last three days to be stuck by the rain, it would be here. The brewery is only a five minute walk in the rain.

Attached Files:

dogrange, tt100, MYUMPH and 1 other person like this.
  16. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The idea for this ride originated when my friends Max and Kara moved to Oregon, and it looked like they might need help driving their moving truck out there. I said we could put my bike in the back, and I'd just ride home! Then my friend John wanted to come to go over Beartooth Pass, shich he's been to but not on a bike. So for the past year and a half it's been talk about Beartooth Pass, and how to plan a trip around that.

Just a little while ago I was looking for information on camping near near Cody WY, and the Buffalo Bill State Park mentioned wildfires near Cody WY, which have made their campgrounds unpleasant and seem to have spiked hotel prices, apparently. They said to check Fire service and DOT web sites. So I did, when I saw this on the WY DOT web site:

Road Conditions: US 212 between WY 296 and Beartooth Pass

Road closed due to winter conditions. As of September 11 at 04:42 p.m., the estimated opening time is unknown. Parking on the roadway is prohibited and delays WYDOT from opening the road.

9/11/2019, 8:07 PM

Charliebrown-1-.jpg

Of course I knew this could happen, Beartooth Pass can be snowed in any month of the year, I've read. But I didn't think ti WOULD happen. I mean, I'm supposed... It's...

I guess I'm glad to know it now rather than when I get there, but... It does kind of throw a wrench into the works of my route plan. So now what? I guess I'll take my time exploring the Black Hills and then head west and see what happens. Rats.
    tt100 likes this.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been over that 2X in cars, I can see how it would be come impassable in a hurry. Still sucks for you.
  18. tt100

tt100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great reports. It takes time, even when you are rained in. Thanks for taking the time and effort to show us these places. Love it so far
  19. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last night after dinner I was chatting with a couple from the Netherlands. They had flown into San Francisco ten days ago, rented a Mustang Convertible, and driven to Death Valley. Now they were in the black hills to see Mt Rushmore before turning back towards California. I was thinking that on this rainy day a convertible is a nice choice rather than getting soaked on the bike. Anyway, they had looked at the weather forecast, as had I and were planning to head up to Mt Rushmore first thing in the morning. I figured many others would be as well, all the folks who got rained out on Wednesday. I have no real interest in Mt. Rushmore, I think it's rather a bizarre thing to do, to carve giant faces on a mountain side, but I did want to ride Iron Mountain Road, and since they are close together, I decided I better get an early start.

I did some looking on the web last night and found that Lovell, WY has a city camping area with free showers and walk into town to restaurants. Seemed like the perfect place to inaugurate my tent after a day of touring the Black Hills. So that was my plan.

I was on the road by 7:30 and can tell you that if you want Iron Mountain Road to yourself, 8:00 AM on a Thursday in September is the time. It was windy getting there but in the trees it was just clear and crisp. It's a nice ride and the pigtail bridges are a unique experience.

P1070510 (2).JPG

P1070511.JPG

After that I headed over to 385 and up towards Nemo. As I cam to Vanocker canyon Rd I spied these three guys at the corner, deciding which way to go.

P1070512 (2).JPG

The picture isn't the clearest because of the wind, but it's a Ducati a Harley, and a Motus V4. Interesting group. And about the wind. Around this time it started picking up and really blowing me around. Going through the canyon I had a hard time keeping the bike on my side of the road. Then the rain started. Hey, wasn't the forecast for clear and sun this morning? Yes, it was!! By the time I got near Sturgis I was looking for a place to hide for a while. Coffee shops are thin on the ground in Sturgis and I didn't want a saloon (plenty of them) so I took the first place I saw that I knew I could hang out and drink coffee, McDs. Oh well.

When I got inside and asked for a black coffee, the nice lady at the counter offered me the senior cup for only 48 cents. Hey, I;m not a senior! I refuse to be treated like one! So I paid full price like all good young men like myself. I won't be 55 for more than two years! I checked the weather on my phone and saw this:

Screenshot_20190912-101646.png

Yikes! At least the rain was supposed stop in an hour. I ended up talking to an 82 year old guy, think his name is Eddie. He told me all kind of tales, and about the time I was ready to dismiss these tall tales he whips out his phone and shows me a photo of the 51 dead foxes he shot and loaded in his airplane. The game warden was on vacation and by the time the warden was back in town Eddie had shot 151 foxes, sold them to the pelt dealer, and bought a new Dodge truck which he still has 32 years later. So I guess it could be true?

I looked at the phone and the rain was now supposed to stop in about another hour, so I gave up on Mickey's and rode down the street int he rain and wind to the motorcycle museum, which kept me entertained for an hour or so.

IMG_20190912_122440929.jpg

I went to a place called Loud American on the recommendation of the guy at the J&P shop. I also bought a fleece neck gaiter to keep the wind out of my helmet. GLad the neck gaiter works better than the lunch idea. Not my style of place but I hung out there for an hour and a half waiting for the rain to quit. It finally let up a bit, and the wind calmed down a little, so I decided to make a break for it. If I could just get the 50 miles or so to Sundance Wyoming it was, as the name implies, sunny there.

AS I was packing up and getting some warmer socks out of my trunk, this guy comes up and asks me if he can give me a hand.

IMG_20190912_152050868_HDR.jpg
    A small blue hand. Gee, thanks. Kenny had all kinds of stories to tell. He said he's only missed one Sturgis rally since 1980. I asked him what his excuse was for missing that one, and he said that was the year he was in the penitentiary. But at least they let him out before Christmas so that's no hard feelings and he hasn't gone back.

The wind on I-90 was pretty strong but not as bad as in the canyon (Kenny said it wouldn't be) and it was raining again up around Spearfish (Kenny had predicted that, too) but keeping my speed around 50 I was able to make it out without hurting myself or anyone else. Finally I got to Sundance and had to refuel. In the glorious warm sun!!

IMG_20190912_170805553.jpg

I check the GPS and it seemed that I could make it to Sheridan by dark. No camping right in or close to Sheridan other than a KOA and they're almost as expensive as a motel, so I got a motel. Who wants to put up a tent for the first time in the dark? Not me. But dang it, I AM GOING TO CAMP one of these nights. Not dragging that dang thing along for nothing.

I did get of I-90 at Gillette (energy capitol of America) and take US 14 thought the lonely high country to Sheridan. It's a nice ride. Not twisty or anything outright fun but nice rolling country with thousands of deer that seem like they won't jump out in front of you but you can never trust them.

P1070519.JPG

I checked in, called my wife to let her know I was OK, then headed down to town to find something to eat and drink. And lo, there it was, a brewery with a food truck out front. I'M SAVED!!

IMG_20190912_211749984.jpg

While waiting for my homemade perogies and grilled kielbasa I saw this on my news feed

Screenshot_20190912-204351.png

So that's why Beartooth is closed. But wait... It's now OPEN AGAIN! The Montana DOT website lists it as "slushy". Which is probably not a great idea on a motorcycle. But I think tomorrow I'll head that way and see what the DOT says by the time i get there, maybe early afternoon if things go well.

344 miles today, and four hours of sitting around Sturgis. Might not need to go back there again for a long time.
  20. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My motel for the night had a sign asking guests not to use the towels to clean their outdoor gear, and also an older towel provided for just for that. Stained towels would be charged $25. So when i can back from breakfast an noticed a towel left on the gas tank of my bike, that $25 went through my mind right away.

IMG_20190913_070810664.jpg

Then I noticed that the other two bikes in the parking lot also had towels draped over their tanks. Barbara, one of the housekeepers, leaves a towel on every bike every morning when the seats are wet with dew. Just her little gift.

It was going to be that kind of day. I took a dirt road out of Sheridan (accidentally) which took me up to Dayton, WY.

P1070526.JPG

It doesn't have everything that my home town of Dayton OH has, but it sure is pretty.

P1070528.JPG

There was almost no traffic leaving Dayton at 7:40 heading up the Bighorn Mountains on US 14, and what a great road! Nine miles of climbing twisty bends that put a big grin on my face, and not any other traffic to deal with. I was tempted to turn around and ride it again but I knew I probably wouldn't have the same lack of traffic the second time so on I went.

It had been about 45 degrees when I left Sheridan and I noticed the left hand heated grip didn't seem to be working. Not great, but if you have to have one that doesn't work, I'd rather it be that side instead of the throttle side, where you can't rally let go no and then. Now that I was up a few more thousand feet it was noticeably colder and was about at the low limit of comfort for the gear I have.

Riding across the plain on Route 14 was pretty on this sunny morning. I passed some cowboys on horseback driving a large heard of cattle into a lower pasture. Didn't know anyone still used horses for that but given the rocky terrain I suppose that is the best option. Even the snow was pretty, althought not exactly welcome.

P1070529.JPG

When I was stopped taking this picture a man coming the other way pulled over and told me "Be careful, there's mud ahead". What? Part of the road construction. My heart sank. Mud? I'm not sure I'm ready for this. But it wasn't much, and I could get around a lot of it.

I tried to get a good picture from the mountains of the plain on the west side several thousand feet below but it's the kind of thing that just doesn't show how amazing and huge the American West is. You just have to see it. While I was going down the west side of the Bighorns I passed a Ford truck parked in a pullout, towing a trailer with a yellow '55-57 T-Bird. It seemed a very strange thing to see in this place. Then about 20 minutes later my music player, on random from about 1500 songs, played the Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" until Daddy takes the T-bird away. Life is strange sometimes.

AS I was going though Lovell I saw a group of bikes at a gas station, so I pulled in to ask what direction they'd come from. I was thinking that maybe they had come from Cody and might know the road condition of Beartooth Pass. When I asked one of them where they has come from, her reply was "from France". Not quite what I had expected. Their group of about 30 people had flown into Denver, rented about 20 BMW's, and spent two weeks touring. They were on their last leg, headed back to Denver. I guess there are a lot more foreign tourists out here than I normally see in Ohio.

I went on toward Cody and stopped there for gas. I went inside to use the restroom but it was a single and someone was in there. So I went back out, sent a couple of texts, and checked again be he was still in there. I went back outside, set my GPS for a route over Chief Joseph Byway and Beartooth, and check ed again and was still in there. I decided that I didn't need to wait anymore, and probably wouldn't want to go in there when he was done anyway!

Chief Joseph scenic byway headed northwest from Cody is a beautiful road, but again the photos don't do it justice. I found a discreet place to pee and wait for traffic climbing the switchbacks to clear, and then enjoyed a great run through the twisties.

P1070539.JPG

Going down the north side of the range was even better roads, so when I got to the bottom I turned around and went back up. Going up is my favorite part, rather than the down hill, so I had to experience the pass (Dad Indian Hill, elevation 8000 ft) going both ways .
    joelee, tt100, dogrange and 2 others like this.