OHLINS in the front...OHLINS in the rear

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by TWC4, May 22, 2020.

1. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    Finally I did this

Attached Files:

dpike likes this.
  2. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Wonderful stuff, isn’t it? :)
    TWC4 likes this.
  3. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Did you do the work yourself? Any tips? Hoping to do this within the next year.
    TWC4 likes this.
  4. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    Wonderful indeed!
  5. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    My Apologies. I'm not sure why I wasn't alerted to these comments.

I did not.
    I'm pretty handy with a wrench and feel I could have, I've also spent some time on the track doing Endurance Team Racing and have an ok grasp on the mechanics of a well or poorly tuned suspension.
    That said...I paid for the installation for the following reason (if ya care)
    Here in Austin we have a fella named Roger...Roger is a Mad Scientist/Guru/Wizard when it comes to motorcycle suspension...It's all he does and he's really good. I paid for the instal and by doing so I also bought into the knowledge and service that Roger provides. If it came down to "any bike shop" doing the install I most likely would have done it myself. I'm not saying that "any bike shop" would not have done an awesome job on the instal...I just wanted access to the magic that comes along with our local suspension guru.

So that's my "tip" If you have someone in your area that knows suspension and i mean REALLY KNOWS SUSPENSION in my opinion it's money well spent.

Do it! You're gonna love it!

Please reach out to me if you have any other questions.
    WQFTruckster likes this.
  6. WQFTruckster

Oddometer:
    Did you compare Ohlins vs any other brands? I am looking at the Wilbers 641 shock as well. Seemed more adjustable than the Ohlins for about the same price. Also considering the AK-20 Axxion Fork Cartridge kit vs the Ohlins FKA100. I'm pretty new to the suspension game and I'm sure your advice about finding a local guru is spot on, but at the moment I'm enjoying learning and doing what I can on my own. Unfortunately, it seems there is not a lot of info comparing the different options for these bikes, and even less info on setting them up properly.
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I've done Ohlins on a few bikes and they have been solid performers. One of the nice things is that they are totally rebuildable. However, that is also the achielles of them, as Ohlins seems to have over extended their product offerings and unless you are a KTM-lover the wait for parts for annual servicing is probably untenable.
    WQFTruckster likes this.
  8. WQFTruckster

Oddometer:
    Do they really require annual rebuilds? What's a rebuild gonna cost me in parts?
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what your riding is like, but my mostly road 'spench goes in every 20k miles. If I have a heavy off-road year, those will go for service in the off-season.

We pull the shocks are send them in. It probably cost $300 between rountrip shipping and shop costs.
    WQFTruckster likes this.
  10. Antti__84

Antti__84 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I do have full set from Öhlins, but wondering the settings in my 2009 bike. I've been playing with settings some time and would like to know how you have set-up them?!

Everyone has to adjust their bikes according to.... so let's be specific:

Weight of rider with gear on: 85 kg
    Luggage, tools etc: 0-25 kg
    Tire pressures (F/R): 1,8 / 2,0 bar
    Surface (tarmac / gravel): 50%/50%

FKA101 (springs): 5,5
    Setting preload (rounds): 1
    Compression (clicks): 6/24
    Rebound (clicks): 18/24

BM303 (springs): -
    Settings preload: full
    Compression: -
    Rebound: -

Thanks, let me know what you have found the best!
  11. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    Gonna be in the man cave this evening i'll let ya know where i'm at Clicks & Turns wise...