OHV park in El Paso County - a political reality

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by oio, Nov 9, 2006.

1. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got this news release today from Jim Bensberg, who was just elected to another 4 year term as an El Paso County Commisssioner.

Jim and I have talked over he past three years about an alternative to the Honor Farm/PMI area in Pueblo, knowing that it was at risk.

He's in a good position to get it done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For immediate release

El Paso County Commissioner Jim Bensberg cruised to victory Tuesday in his re-election bid for a second four-year term.

The former AMA Washington DC representative was unopposed in the election.

Bensberg has been instrumental in promoting motorcyclist-friendly activities such as "Ride to Work Day" and has worked to keep OHV trails open to dirt bikes. While at the AMA, Bensberg led the effort to overturn the infamous Brockton, Massachusetts bike ban.

During his next term Bensberg says he hopes to find suitable land to establish a county operated OHV park.

The five member Board of County Commissioners governs El Paso County, which is the most populous county in Colorado with over 569,000 residents.
  2. Moto Beak

Moto Beak Professional Amateur

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Pueblo, riding PMI a lot. It was a great riding area to have. It's too bad that the city of Puebo and Colorado State Parks are too stupid to see the value of it. A huge thumbs up to Jim for recognizing the need for an OHV area on the front range. :thumbup
  3. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    El Paso County OHV Park. Looks like it may be a reality. More news to follow, soon. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  4. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    Yup, check the Rocky Mountain Access Issues sticky! Been following it and posting!

um.... you fellers and gals DO check that thread regular-like, doncha??
  5. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    El Paso County Parks Department hosted a meeting Monday evening to kick off the OHV Park project and rally stakeholder support. The meeting room was packed with standing room only.

The project is in its early stages, so it may be a while before it is truly a reality, but there has been a lot going on behind ths scenes to put the pieces in place to make it happen. Jim Bensberg (County Commissioner and long-time motorcycle enthusiast) has been the prime-mover.

Here is an excerpt (with some editing) from a meeting handout:

Project Objectives

• The park will provide both motocross and trail riding opportunities.
    • The park will be a minimum of 500 acres with at least ten miles of OHV trails.
    • The park will be financially self-sustaining and supported by user fees.
    • Initially, the park will support motorcycles with the potential of adding other OHV use at a later date.
    • The park will be designed to minimize environmental impacts.
    • The park will provide multiple trail opportunities for beginning through advanced riders.

Public / Private Partnership with Aztec Family Raceway

El Paso County
    • Provide OHV Park land
    • Assist with development of trail system, fencing, and other trail support structures

Aztec
    • Manage the OHV Park through a vendor agreement
    • Provide parking, restrooms, and concessions

Proposed Location

East of Colorado Springs out Hwy 94, near Aztec Family Raceway and the Waste Management Landfill.

How You Can Help (needs to be done by Nov 26)

• Support Petition – Apex Sports in Colorado Springs has a petition you can sign
    • Letters of Support – Return to Tim Wolken by Monday

Address letters of support to:

Tom Metsa, OHV Program Manager
    Colorado State Parks
    13787 S. Hwy 85
    Littleton Colorado, 80125

Mail or e-mail the letters of support to:

Tim Wolken
    El Paso County Parks and Leisure Services
    2002 Creek Crossing
    Colorado Springs, CO 80919

timwolken@elpasoco.com
  6. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The El Paso County OHV park is getting closer to becoming a reality.

El Paso County Commissioners approved (4 to 1) on Thursday 11/29/07:

(1) Application for State Trails grant.

(2) Authorization to take necessary steps to acquire land.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  7. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
  8. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    Oh Brother. Let's see, we have auto salvage yards and a landfill in the area. But a developer is worried about disturbing $1M homes that aren't there yet.

I once asked Suzanne Jones of the CO chapter of The Wilderness Society if they envisioned us only having highway medians to ride in, that we would be fenced off of everywhere else. She said no.

I wonder if these folks are thinking twice about their ideal goals... Sheesh.

I suppose controversy is inevitable in the increasingly crowded front range. But I especially noticed the line about 'nobody told me'. As if it was the responsibility of the city to wake up every napping citizen besides posting the information through normal means!
  10. Wings

Wings long gone

Oddometer:
    It's the developers we all have to worry about, they're raping the prairie as far as the eye can see and there's no stopping them. And destryoing environmentally sensitive land is not an issue when it comes to reaming a profit by building cookie cutter homes. Funny how that works.
  11. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Thank you Wings for saying what I was thinking. Why is it that NO ONE questions the endless fu*%@ing sprawl that is EATING COLORADO alive, yet it's controversial to ride a motorcycle on established trails???

The Wilderness society, Sierra Club, and Blue Ribbon Coalition should all be on the same side in this.

:baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy
  12. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    WAIT! Let me quote this again because it outlines the biggest environmental problem as well as access problem in this country.

13. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    Yup. You would think they would wake up to this. :ddog
  14. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yoda says....

"Those who live in houses and apartments should not point the blame at builders and developers. They just build them. We buy, rent and live in them."

"Are we the problem?"

Yoda suggests....

"That we should reflect on our own indulgences."
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    It gets worse, and the arguments get weirder. The TOPS people are arguing that they want the 960 acres to be used for open space instead of an off-road motorcycle park. Really? Let's see. The land sits between, and is abutted by, an existing MX race track to the west and a currently-in-use land fill to the east. One can only assume that once they get the land for open space they'll complain about the MX park. And the landfill. And sue to get them both closed. I'm in favor of "open space". Highly in favor of it. But this piece of shit land isn't what anyone would want for "open space".

The articles I've read in the Gazette claim that El Paso County has over 20,000 acres of parks, none of which allow motorcycles. Now that one 960 acre park has been proposed (to protect the other parks and open spaces from off-road motorcycles and quads, by giving riders a place to go) this land is suddenly found desireable by others? I don't think so.
  16. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    Not griping with the houses. Griping about how massive development is undertaken without a view to the total impact of the development on the environment and resources. Since I live in a home that I made a refurb/addition/greenbuilt in an old part of town, near mass transit, that uses as little water and utilities as possible, and is not a McMansion, I get a license to gripe by Yoda's standard then!:nod
  17. Hayduke

Oddometer:

I did reflect on my own indulgences. And I chose to live in a 100 year old house within the city limits of an established city so that I don't contribute to the development of every square inch of my valley.

If you build it, they will come.
  18. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    I don't blame the developers. They would not build houses (for long) if no one bought them. OIO is right, it's the people moving here, expanding here, etc.. who are the problem.

I don't have the details, but I have lived in Colorado since only 1992 and it sure seems like a LOT more people have moved her since I did. Can't stop it and they can't all live in existing homes.

T.
  19. Mr.Gorilla

Mr.Gorilla Disc Golf Champ

Oddometer:
    To be honest,I would not want that park in my backyard.As long as I am being honest,I would very much like to have that park in someone elses back yard(is that wrong?).I hope that they build it but I have my doubts.The Springs just keeps expanding in that direction and sooner than later the park will be surrounded by new homes,unless they run out of water first.(which as you may know is a distinct possibility).When they built the shooting range on Rampart road just west of the Garden of the Gods there was nothing around it but open space.Now it is surrounded by million dollar and up homes.Would it surprise anyone to know that the shooting range is earmarked for closure soon,it seems the neighbors are not happy to live near a shooting range(but they were happy enough to build near one).So where do all of those shooters go,where else but into the foothills to shoot where we ride.Shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong shooters,I like to plink around as much as the next guy but you should see what that Rampart shootong range looks like,it looks like people drag crap out of their basements and garages for the sole purpose of blowing it up and leaving at the range.Trashed.

Gregg
  20. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting to see this thread change course and turn into a rant about growth, developers, sprawl, water shortages.... etc.

I'm curious why we turned that way (a negative) and not towards (a positive).... "What we can do to support the necessary steps to see the proposed OHV Park become a reality."

If you want to see it happen, how about sending a letter and/or an e-mail of support for the proposed El Paso County OHV Park to Jim Bensberg and Tim Wolken.

Jim Bensberg
    El Paso County Commissioner
    27 E. Vermijo
    Colorado Springs, CO 80903

JimBensberg@elpasoco.com

Tim Wolken
    El Paso County Parks and Leisure Services
    2002 Creek Crossing
    Colorado Springs, CO 80919

timwolken@elpasoco.com