OHV sticker rules

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hop-Sing, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    If somebody was going to a OHV park and needed a sticker, what does Ca accept as an acceptable out of state sticker.
    Simply put, does California recognize Texas stickers.
  2. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would think they must. I know they do for AZ.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it is a legally registered vehicle (regardless of state) it is legal to ride here on a 'temporary" basis. Some states require a temp permit but CA isn't one of them.
    el Pete likes this.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The person with the out of state tag needs to have ID that matches the state tag
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  5. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    But it's my buddies bike, Or I just moved there and haven't got my new license.

I have several bikes with green stickers. When I go to a competition we usually don't need them, But times change and they are getting picky.
    But I would like to take a back up bike and don't feel it should cost me a two years green sticker.

We should be paying a flat rate as we can only ride one bike at a time.

Yea I know, Life is't fair. So why can't I bend a rule or two.
  6. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, its aint right. But rules iz rules, only bend them if your willing to take the beating.
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although it is by no means a reason or solution, but I was never even asked about my out of state plates (or stickers on my 'off road' bikes) when riding around.. whether it was my state or any of the surrounding states (NV, CO, WA, AZ). I guess if you were actually doing something to where they had a reason to harass you...
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    They wont ever make rules to fit all that,it's either currently registered and registered in your name,or it's not.
    It's kinda like registering your truck,or not.
    Can bend any rule you want,just dont meet a ranger, Ive seen a total of 2 in my entire career on dirtbikes,
  9. joon

joon Calamari

Oddometer:
    From CA State Parks-

C - What If I Am Visiting From Another State?

California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. A title is not registration. For states bordering California, the Oregon OHV Permit, the Nevada OHV Registration Decal, and the Arizona OHV Decal meet the requirement for OHV registration by residents of those states.
    A non-resident with an OHV from one of these states must purchase the California Nonresident OHV Use Permit to operate on California's public lands.

A non-resident need not purchase California's permit as long as they can provide valid proof that they have a current registration or their home state's equivalent for their OHV. If a nonresident cannot provide valid proof of possessing such a document, they must purchase the California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. (15)
  10. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    We're talking $25/year here, right?

And most of that, most of the time, goes right back into OHV stuff.

I'm kinda scratching my head trying to figure out why you want to cheat on this.
  11. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not 25 bucks, It first has to be registered. I am talking about bikes in this case being 45 years old. So that is all fine and dandy but in my case I am not sure I will have this bike 1 month or the rest of my life. In California it is like 80 bucks for two years. This weekend I am taking 5 bikes, I pay plenty, not trying to beat the system. I have several club cards and my AMA. charge me a flat rate, even 200 bucks a year and make it simple. I got better things to do with my time than to play games at DMV

Now I do see the problem with my thinking. I live in an ideal world, one where people don't steal other peoples stuff. And I realize this is not the case and am just sore about it.
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  12. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I don't pay any reg. fees on my 3 YZ 2 strokes...just the green/red sticker fee every 2 years. Are these street legal bikes? I think it's one or the other, green sticker or registration. Anyway, yeah, I'm with ya on the not stealing other peoples stuff.

You listening, Glazer?
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    If your bike is currently registered elsewhere (even another Country) road or off road it can be ridden in California.

Doesn't need to be registered to you.

A road registered bike can be ridden both on and off road, it does NOT need an off road sticker just license plates.

An off road stickered only bike can be ridden off road only but can cross/traverse a section of road to reach a trail.

Simple as that.