Oil change in Fairbanks or Anchorage

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by LTVoyager, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LTVoyager

LTVoyager n00b

Oddometer:
    I am leaving in a week to ride from PA to Alaska. Given the distance, I would like to do an oil change before heading home from Alaska. I can probably get into a dealer in Fairbanks or Anchorage, but I generally do all of my own work and would rather do the change myself if I can find someone to loan me a drain pan and funnel. I carry all of the tools I need for the job, except a torque wrench, but can get by with my calibrated hands if necessary.

I am wondering if there might be someone in Fairbanks, Anchorage,Tok or on routes between those, that might be willing to let me use some driveway or garage space and their drain pan and funnel, and torque wrench if available. I am certainly happy to compensate you for your time and trouble and pay for the used oil disposal cost.

If there is a better place in the forum to post such a request, please let me know that as well.

TIA.
  2. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent, gratis hangar, tools and assistance offered.
    bigjohnsd and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. LTVoyager

LTVoyager n00b

Oddometer:
    PM reply just sent. If the timing works for you, I would like to take you up on your very generous offer. As a pilot also, there is no better place to work on a bike than at an airport!
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Thompson's Eagle's Claw Motorcycle Campground in Tok has a shed full of tools free to use. Great camp spot 1mi south of Tok off Borealis Ave with free sauna and unlimited firewood.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
    SunshineTom, godzuki, Cal and 2 others like this.
  5. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    i plan on staying 2 nights there beginning of July 2020 i'll be coming from Norwich NY on a wing towing a roll a home camper, planning on doing a little maintenance there. 409 days before i depart !
  6. LTVoyager

LTVoyager n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am a “hotel camper” these days, but I appreciate the tip. Looks like I have a great solution in Anchorage and that will be an ideal place to change oil before heading back.
  7. LTVoyager

LTVoyager n00b

Oddometer:
    That is quite a count down. Mine is now 7 days. Looking forward to hitting the road again.
    Sneeze Juice and wingtraveler like this.
  8. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    love to hear about your adventure when you return!
  9. LTVoyager

LTVoyager n00b

Oddometer:
    I will probably make some real-time posts in the BMWLT forum if you want to check that out. I am not yet that familiar with this forum, so not sure where to post such here and there probably are hundreds of Alaska trips already logged here so probably not much I can add.

You aren’t that far from where I live. My wife and I stayed in Norwich on the first night of our honeymoon trip 36 years ago. I live just south of Corning, NY.
  10. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    I have 2 weeks till i leave from Indiana headed that way thanks for the info on that camp ground. Do you happen to know if they have a place to dump the used oil aswell.
  11. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thompson's Eagle's Claw Motorcycle Campground
    Per website: "I can dispose of your used oil."
  12. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    Very nice. I wonder if he has a used oul burning furnace.
  13. k12lts

k12lts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We camped at the Harley dealer in Anchorage last year and changed the oil in their back parking lot by the camping area. We bought the oil and a drain pan at WalMart and they let us leave the old oil there.

If you don't know, they offer free camping to riders and have a nice area with restroom and shower.
    SunshineTom and AKDuc like this.