1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil leak, slight - GS800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jc717, Jan 13, 2020.

1. jc717

jc717 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

New here, and just need some help/advice re a slight oil leak on my F800 GS.

It seems to be coming from the front sprocket, probably about 15 drops of oil in the last 24H. Started happening after taking the bike for a ride yesterday after it standing for about 3 weeks.
    I cleaned and lubed the chain before the ride, not sure if that might just be loosening some stuff in the sprocket casing and spitting that out?

Attached Files:

2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    given the fact you oiled the chain, id be trying to clean up as much of that as you can before jumping to any conclusions
    SnoDrtRider and jc717 like this.
  3. jc717

jc717 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! Very much appreciated. I'll just keep a close eye on it. First time I've seen it. I bought it 2nd hand at 12000 km, it's sitting on around 17000 now.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty unusual to be leaking at 17k km, I'd be looking at the chain lube and see if that might be the source of the oil drips. There should be some evidence also on the rear sprocket. Good to keep an eye on this, drive sprocket leaks are not to be ignored.....IF that is what is going on.
  5. jc717

jc717 n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks very much. I’m going to sound like a complete idiot now, but what is the reason for the chain lube potentially causing an oil drip?

Will post updates on this thread!

Edit: Using a wax-based lubricant
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chain lube won't cause a drip from the engine. So, you are not seeing oil anywhere else other than the drive sprocket area? If you used waxy chain lube and it has firmed up.....and you still see a wet area around the sprocket there might be an issue with the seal.
    I would clean the area pretty thoroughly and keep an eye on it as well as engine oil level. If there were 15 drops in the last 24 hrs that is quite a leak. Clean and monitor very closely would be my personal approach.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  7. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would be easy enough to take the sprocket off, hang the chain back and let the cleaned area sit another 24H
    Chris_KitKat_Green, Loutre and sieg like this.
  8. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used baby powder to find source of leaks before. Just give a good dusting to the area in question and wait. Check back in 12-24hrs and you should have some better clues where it's coming from.
  9. fuzzybear1981

fuzzybear1981 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. My pops had the same thing on his bike.
    He got back to Colorado, took the bike in for the 6000 mile service and told them what was up. They were VERY quick to say, oh yeah, that's a warranty issue.

So, they replaced the valve cover gasket. No issues at all since that.

It seems to me it is a known issue, so, I would stop by your dealer and see what they say