Oil level very high in 05 950

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zoeper, Jul 28, 2019.

1. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, recently serviced the beast and filled with 10w60 motorex ps 4t as supplied by my KTM dealer. (Not the 10w50 as recommended in the manual.) Bike was running ok for a while ~1000km and then had problems starting and idling. Checked oil and found it to be almost to rim of top tank and ~50mm high on dipstick. I have 3/4l left in the 4l can. How can the oil level rise so much? Water level did not drop at all and oil looks clear.
  2. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does it smell like fuel? Sounds a bit like flooding carburetor.
  3. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does not smell like fuel, but no blood hound either. I feared that there could be fuel in the oil as I recently replaced stock fuel pump with Fawcett pump. Had problems that I suspected could be hydrolocking since the swop.
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you poured in 3 1/4 L ? That's too much. Suck out at least 1/4 L or more. Ride it for at least 20 minutes and check it again.
    roookie1 and NKL like this.
  5. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was fine for a long time, then all of a sudden high. This is not an overfill problem. Either something restricts flow from the top reservoir or it now contains oil plus something else. Sure I can remove 250ml, but I will not ride it if there is a possibility that the oil has been compromised. IMG-20190728-WA0014.jpg
  6. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oil level up to my finger on dipstick. Sure it is not just an overfill. Thinking of draining oil and checking filters an non return valve first. Will ride bike if all checks out ok. At 72K km it might be worth looking at the carbs too, but not my main concern at present. IMG-20190728-WA0016.jpg
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you always checked your oil after a ride?
    Vs. cold after sitting for a while.
  8. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always check it the same way. Temp up to 4bars, place on center stand, idle another 60 seconds, switch off and wait 60 seconds, check oil level. I have heard that some hold bike level without center stand, but this is how I've always done it.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've found the only consistent oil level is immediately after a 20 minute ride. Idling won't do it. Just up to temperature won't do it.

Just trying to say, you may not have a problem.
    Boatman likes this.
  10. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to believe you on this one. I will try and draw some oil from the bottom of the tank just to be sure there is no water at the bottom. Is there a sure way to check for water or fuel in oil? On my truck I once had water in the oil and it turned to emulsion. It was however not synthetic oil and I have never seen the effect of water on fully synthetic oils. The fuel in oil scares me more, as I fear this might go unnoticed while reducing oil to nothing.
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drain the oil, then put it in a clear container to settle out.
    Pull the clutch cap cover and look inside for moisture, seems to collect there.
    OR, if you have an extra $35, send a sample to Blackstone? to get a full analysis.
    zedtours likes this.
  12. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pull the clutch cover. This is where the emulsion appears if you have water and or antifreeze in the oil.

SAM_0438.JPG
  13. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys, I will check it out over the weekend.
  14. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the point of water meets oil...what is the best water pump shaft to order? Next service will see me replace that as well. Had the bike for 40 odd thousand km's now and never done the shaft. What was done during the first 30000km also not known to me. I might be on thin ice!
  15. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would not be looking at the water pump for this issue. To have that much coolant in the oil, the oil would be nearly pure white. And you would have to be adding significant coolant to replace the lost coolant.

Fuel Iin the oil... well you would have a very strong smell in the oil.

As suggested do a full drain and fill with the exact amount before going any further.
    nk14zp likes this.
  16. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine used to have a neighbor who would sneak to his driveway during the night and leave an oil drip trail from his vehicles as a joke, to aggravate him or whatever the motivation was. Now, anytime there is an unexplained problem involving oil, I think of this.
    Can you rule out someone tampering with this bike?
    nk14zp likes this.
  17. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure your check valve is not stuck closed on the oil tank.
  18. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont bother too much about that issue. Just remove the excess oil, check your oil lever a few times and that's it. By removing oil you will know if there is any contamination by coolant, the colour woukd be different. Also, dont bither too much about your engine oil starvation. These motors have a "fail safe" feature as the chain tensioners operate using oil pressure, so if there is not enough oil, your engine will become really noisy.
    Boatman likes this.
  19. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought about that, but that should trigger oil pressure warning and noisy chain tensioners as opanos described. I will drain excess and inspect removed oil inside of clutch housing.
  20. zoeper

zoeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would certainly hope so, in fact yes, 100%...unless it is some random bastard and then it would not be oil.