Oil roads lead north tour.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jetdoctor, Jul 19, 2005.

1. jetdoctor

jetdoctor Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I am leaving on a tour of the oil roads north on Aug 5. I will be trucking my KLR to Minot, ND to save on wear/tear on myself and the bike. I will be leaving my truck in airport parking in Minot and proceding up the Alcan, through Fairbanks and up to Deadhorse. Return to FB and over the top to the Dempster. Down the Dempster, around to Ross River and up and down the Canol to the Cassiar, on to Jasper, Glacier Natl. Pk. and back to Minot. There may be some side trips depending on the weather, but I have been to lower AK so I want to concentrate on the North while I have a month off. I remember reading about the construction of these roads as a kid, so I have always wanted to ride them.
    If anyone has any new info, or wants to ride part of the way PM me and we can exchange info.
    Thanks,
    Doug Walker
  2. sdhmt

sdhmt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also heading North on that route, leaving Kalispell MT on 8/8 enroute to Deadhorse then home via Cassair. Let me know when you come through Kalispell, maybe about the time I'm heading North?
  3. jetdoctor

jetdoctor Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    Shmdt,

PM me so we can exchange some info. Kalispell is kind of out of the way, but we can probably hook up. My cell phone will work in Alaska.
    For logistical reasons, namely having good tires on the gravel, I will be doing the trip in reverse and going on the Campbell first, Canol, Dempster, TOTW, FBKS, and Dalton. I figure I can get a tire in Fairbanks if I need one rather than trying to find one in the Yukon. If not I will be finishing out my tires on pavement rather than gravel. I will still be heading back on the Cassiar though.
    Take care,
    Doug Walker