Oil screen installation

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Zombie Master, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Zombie Master

Zombie Master Zombie Master

Oddometer:
    013 990 SMT

So after 30klms I bought the oil filter kit that contains all new screens, washers, and gaskets. The flat oil screen on the clutch side still looks good, but I thought I would replace it with the kit. While the original screen slides in easily, the new one seems to get stuck with a bit to go before I can install the cover. The new screen looks identical to the old one. Anybody know how to finesse this installation?
  2. bobone

bobone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the body of the filter act as a spring aganist the cover. it shuld enter freely all the way in but resist a bit aganist the cover.

make sure you did not put it upsidedown.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  3. selecw

selecw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with an aftermarket screen. I ended up cleaning the old screen and reusing it as I did not want to risk forcing the new screen in.
  4. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    lol yeah I had this same issue with OEM filter kits, the lower screen in the last 3 kits just didn't want to fit, whereas the original one slides in and out easily.

I have just been cleaning out and re-using the original screen...

Perhaps I just need to apply more pressure? I couldn't figure it out at the time either though, as you say, the screens looked identical just the new one/s met resistance inserting and I didn't want to lean on it too much!
  5. Zombie Master

Zombie Master Zombie Master

Oddometer:
    Well glad to hear I'm not alone. Maybe there is a 990 rider who can describe the process. One friend said you have to "cam it in". Not sure what he meant.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine snugs up 3/4 the way in. Then a little force slides it home. 06 Adv.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  7. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is the same with the old 950A engine and the new 990smt motor.
    nk14zp likes this.