Oil sight glass replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Steptoe, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    So are you saying that removing your gloves, undoing fillercap/dipstick, wiping it clean ( after finding something to wipe it with), re-inserting filler/dipstick, removing filler/dipstick, checking oil level, repeating it again just to double check, refitting oil/filler cap, disposing of the dipstick wipe - is easier than bending down and looking at the site glass ??? :D

Plus if you have to top it up with oil, you can do the dipstick removel shuffle a couple more times to make sure you've topped it up enough with oil.
  2. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    The problem is: We don't like bending forward like that. It's not elegant.

[TaSK]
  3. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someday when science makes it possible for us to change bodies you can have mine for a test drive. :D
  4. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Changed the sight glass on my '99 1100 GS(30,000 miles) when I changed my oil today. Went pretty straight forward, the sight glass was more brittle than I expected when I ran the screw through it. I used a hooked shape pick to pull the shards out until I had enough room to pull on the seal. It seemed to be fairly secure but appeared to be some oil around it every 1000 miles or so. Not really wet, just a dirty film. The new one went in fairly straight forward using the socket method with no leaks.

With easy jobs come the hassles though, when removing the bash guard, one mount twisted in half at the rubber. The remaining piece came out fairly easy but that wasn't good enough. I had one in good shape that stayed with bike and when I tried to take it out, I tore it in half too. It is still in there. Messed with it for a couple of minutes but couldn't get a good grip at the time and got tired of counting how many times my hand hit the hot cat......oh well, I ride mostly pavement on it anyway.
  5. Partagas

Partagas EarthFirst

Oddometer:
    What I love about the sight glass is that at any given time you can get a different reading out of it. Park bike on side stand for one minute and put on center stand and oil level is half way up sight glass; park bike for 20 seconds on side stand and then on center stand and oil fills sight glass completely; park bike on center stand and never tip to side stand and no oil in sight glass.... I love the consistency!! Dip Sticks Rule!!!

PS thanks for quick change tutorial on the sight glass.
  6. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some sight glasses are better than others, but some with age can be really hard to see, and at night in a parking lot I cannot use a sight glass, I can still check the dipstick.

Both seems like a logical solution...
    slime likes this.
  7. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Before it falls out of course. As part of your routine maintanence you should check the stiffness of the rubber around the sight glass with your thumbnail. If it's not soft it's a good idea to replace the sight glass. Even so it's good preventative maintenance to replace the sight glass every 4 years or 40,000 miles. So I've been told.
  8. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    Sight glasses have been used for a long time in/on construction equipment and marine machinery, along with sight tubes.

One would think that with modern metallurgy and machining/manufacturing techniques, oil levels should remain consistant between service intervals in all but the the most severe operating conditions - absent a leak, of course.
    slime likes this.
  9. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Sure, a sensor could be added but it would cost too much. I simply add oil to my gas to insure that I always have engine lubrication...I use synthetic. Some added moly helps, as well.
  10. Trailing Jack

Trailing Jack Dr. Acula

Oddometer:
    When I was about to replace mine I read a post by Paul Glaves (BMW wrench guru in the MOA) in the MOA website forum who advised against using any goop on the new one.
    He just recommended that the rim be cleaned first.

BTW - it is as easy as everyone says. :thumb
  11. bg

bg Monster

Oddometer:
    Just changed out my sight glass easy as pie. Thanks for your help Steptoe.
  12. S2W

S2W I said wax ON you idiot!

Oddometer:
    Bump
  13. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did mine on the weekend while doing the 140,000km service. Too easy. Tapped it lightly with a screwdriver, the plastic cracked. Grabbed one of the plastic bits with a set of pliers and it pulled straight out. I wouldn't worry too much about anything dropping into the engine. You only need to tap it lightly and it will crack, and the plastic is held where it's attached (glued?) to the rubber seal. I only replaced it because it was getting a film of oil around it, though not sure if it's the sight glass or oil pressure sensor. Will know soon enough, if the film comes back.

P.S. An old bar end works well as a drift :lol3
  14. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    After extensive collaboration and counsel with Al Gore, the EPA nixed the fuel/oil transfer system due to the possibility of oil contaminating the fuel and the engine behaving like the old 2-stroke engines now no longer allowed on the highways and byways of the USA....pity!
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You actually read that monoparagraph?:huh

:lol3
    Jim :brow
  16. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone heard of sight glasses on any other make bike popping/cracking/leaking/needing replacement?
  17. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    I just replaced the one on my KTM LC4. It cracked, which made it loose and pushed in a bit. It wasn't the oil sight glass, it was the timing glass.
  18. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    What is the difference, if any, between the discontinued part 11117661648 and the new 11117703823 ?

[TaSK]
  19. DaneelOlivaw

DaneelOlivaw Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer:
    The new part comes with a perimeter circlip in the package. Clip is used on a narrow range of R- & K-models, I believe. Clip will be otherwise useless and discarded. I've amassed a pile of them from my own technicians already. They make good in-shop missiles.

Otherwise, no difference.
  20. yellow

yellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding into work, about 1 mile to go, turn and look, there is a huge plume of smoke behind me, what the hell, get off I94, and assess my situation......

boot is covered in oil, bike smokin' like she had a 5 pack a day habit, and 4 blocks to work.....give it a little gas, turn the corner, shut her off and coast into work.

MY SIGHT GLASS WAS GONE!!!!!! How the hell did that happen, anyway. Had an extra pushed her in at work, filled with oil and was good to go -

Thank you ADVrider! and this Thread.