Oil sight glass replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Steptoe, Feb 28, 2008.

1. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be an interesting poll to set up where people have two options:

REPLACED LEAKING/MISSING SIGHT GLASS
    0-15,000 miles
    15,000- 30,000 miles
    30,000- 45,000 miles
    45,000-60,000 miles
    >60,000 miles

STILL HAVE ORIGINAL SIGHT GLASS
    0-15,000 miles
    15,000-30,000 miles
    30,000-45,000 miles
    45,000-60,000 miles
    >60,000 miles
  2. yellow

yellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORIGINAL AT 90,000 MI - just replaced.
  3. bullfrog

bullfrog Dismember

Oddometer:
    original at 60k...spare in tank bag.
  4. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    original at 44,000 miles; spare in tool roll.
  5. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
    57,000 miles on original. Spare in the saddle bag.

(This is one stupid dumb ass design by BMW. :puke1)
  6. NBeener

NBeener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didja' tell them yet??
  7. Voltar

Oddometer:
  8. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    '00 R1150GS
    43,000 miles (yea, I know... I'm slacking here)

I have gone through 2 sight glasses. Neither of them "blew out", just started leaking like there wasn't anything there. Replaced the last one, last week.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    They knew it was a potential issue as they added a locking ring on the R1200 series. Not that hard to make a retainer if it worries you. Or just cary a spare and pop it in. You can hardly help but know when it comes out.

Jim :brow

PS Never lost one in 150K miles on my oilheads, never had to change one either.
  10. Voltar

Oddometer:
    I emailed Wolfgang at the site I mentioned below. He tells me the aircraft have moved to an easier retaining method just using safety wire and sent me this pic. Seems like a wonderfully simple idea to me:
    [​IMG]

11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Easy and cheap!:thumb

12. Voltar

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. I can hear drills all across the land spinning up right now to solve this problem that should have never been. :freaky
  13. JaiEs

JaiEs n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Im a newbie here, and I have a dilemna. I ran my bike (warming it up for winter) and was doing yard work, low and behold, the bike over heated and the plastic on the oil site, bubbled out... no other damage. Bike is running fine

BUT>>..

I received the new oil site part, and I have tried everything to get the old one out, I do not own a Seal Puller, and will probably have to get one.

I also did not notice a retaining ring around mine, my bike is an 03 R1150 GS.

All the plastic is out, and I am mangling up the metal piece behind, can some one please advise on what I can try... Im thinking when it over heated it may have fused the rubber to the metal or something.

So my question is HOW CAN I GET THE OLD ONE OUT???

Ive tried needle nose, screw drivers, everything but a seal puller

Please help!!
  14. JaiEs

JaiEs n00b

Oddometer:
    Okay guys,

The noob here did it, now let me tell you something that is not covered here.
    As I mentioned above I had to replace mine because I stupidly let it run in the shed and it over heated to the point of bubbling the oil site glass (plastic)
    So, after breaking the plastic and trying everything under the sun to pull it out, I went and purchased a Seal Puller, I was able to pull it out, but it was only the back metal piece that came out!!! The black ring surrounding the site glass is lined with metal, that metal fused to the bored out hole in the engine casing, NIGHTMARE, so, here comes the part where you cringe...
    I had to use my dremel to eat away at some of the metal liner to get to the black rubber/plastic, after a while I was able to gently hammer a flat head screwdriver between the bored hold and the black plastic, bending and lifting it, then using needle nose pliers to grab hold of it and curl the entrie piece out... NIGHTMARE..

needless to say, once I had it all out, I cleaned the crap out of the area, used a small rare earth magnet to pick up any small metal filings that may have got inside (not that it is a major issue, that happens in engines and it is what oil filters are for) I then was able to insert the new one and used the wooden handle of a hammer to drift it in, hitting that with a rubber mallet..

So far so good, no seepage, I will recheck it int he morning, maybe see if I can drift it in a little more, and thats it.

This thread was very helpful, for a easy change, hopefully my dumb mistake will help others who may have the same situation occur.

Thanks!
    Jai:norton
  15. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know and glad you sorted it out ;)

Dan.
  16. ooweel

ooweel Throwing wrenches one at a time

Oddometer:
    My 02 went at 20K. I read the previous posts on quick and painless R&R.
    Mine started sweating and decided to get at it. Mine was a pain in the ass! I have a seal pulling tool and that didnt work either. Unless you have a seal puller that uses a socket wrench? The ones with the handles leave you limited on direction of pull. The handle just limits you on working around the seal while it is in the bike. You have to be carefull with a seal pulling tool on the edge of the oil view inspection hole in the casing so you don't ding and dent it up. I used some flat stock aluminum to rest the seal puller against. Making it take the load of the pivoting seal puller and not the case. That still didn't work so I ended up making a poor mans slide hammer ( 5 inch lag bolt, Heavy impact long socket, and washer to keep the lag bolt head inside the socket when slid) then before I used it, I took a self taping screw to start 2 holes in the metal of the now failed part at 3 and 9 o'clock. Once the self taping holes were started I slid the lag bolt screw first with a washer smaller than the size of the socket yet larger than the drive size thru the socket so the lag screw was protruding out thru the sockets drive side. The reason for the long screw is now you have to self tap into the small hole you started with the self taping screw and you need to put a wrench or socket to drive the lag bolt. It doesnt take much maybe about 3/8 of an inch in. Then slide the socket as you would a slide hammer over the lag bolt to pull the seal out. You may get lucky and it will move enough off the one hole? Mine didnt! I had to go back and forth side to side to get the sumbitch out. New one went in easy no problems since the R&R.
    Hope that helps?:evil
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm next in line on sight glass replacement, so here goes: 1st, I'll say that I worked for years as a professional mechanic. My 2003 BMW R1150R sight glass started leaking enough to warrant replacement soon. I had one on hand as I started carrying a replacement for my recent 6k Mexico trip based on the exp. of others having them leak or blow out. IMO, it started the weeping problem due to long, hot idling on the international bridge when exiting Mexico.
    I had read others comments on the replacement operation and proceeded to drill a small hole in the plastic and inserted a small slide puller screw, which broke out the plastic window instantly. I then frilled a hole in the back plate and tried again with the puller-no luck as it just pulled out the hole. I gave up on the slide puller when after a hole about 5/16" in the back plate still hadn't resulted in removel of anything! I then resorted to a set of thin blocks of wood trying to pry and also avoid marring the edge of the engine case. After much effort and having a large pile of various tools to pry,pull etc., around me I was able to pull out the metal back plate by itself. I then very carefully took a small cold chisel that was freshly sharpened and cut the edge of the rubber clad ring edge of the sight glass and then was able to easily remove the final part. I had read Paul Glaves statement that he never uses a sealant except on a bike that happens to have a "looser hole" than usual as they can be hard to remove. Mine was the original and in the category of hard to remove!!!!! Honestly, I know what I'm doing and part of my slowness was in avoiding damage to the edge of the case but it was anything but a 2 minute job. Say what you want but they can be hard to replace! I cleaned the machined hole surface well and found it to be a very tight fit to insert. Make certain you have a socket that just barely fits in the hole bore , so as to not deform the new sight glass!
  18. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it woudl help to throw the site glass in the freezer overnight. I'm going to try that, I think.
  19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I just used the old one to tap the new one into place. No damage, and it went in easy.

20. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    If you had gone here:

[​IMG]

You would have read this:
    R11xxGS Oil Sight Glass Swap

and following Stetoe's wise advice, you would smashed out the glass immediately and then levered out the old sight glass, catching the rubbber edge and had the new one in about 90 seconds.