Oil sight glass replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Steptoe, Feb 28, 2008.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not do that as the cold will only make the rubber harder and less resilent to enter the machined bore of the hole. The principle of using cold or hot oil baths ,etc., is for bearings & such that have a mass of metal, not a rubber encased sheet metal thingy with a plexiglass lens.
    As to steptoe: Sure, it's easy to smash the plastic lens but I was avoiding prying on the edge of the painted aluminum case as he did. I have also read of others that were able to pull them using only the plastic lens for a pull, so I tried that first. I can assure you that this one didn't come out that easily as already stated. I used a 1/8" thin piece of oak and when levering the edge just turned outward and the seal stayed in. After much formal training & many years of wrenching in a variety of settings(I could say more here but my ego is OK at that) I found it to be hard to remove! I'm glad to know steptoe is so good that all things come easy for him. He probably would have been one of my star pupils when I taught Auto Mechanics in the 70's.
    Also , I wouldn't reccomend using the old one to install as it is not only made of flimsy sheet metal it is not so thick, thus gives you no length to pound on. It is important to have the new part square with the hole and avoid malforming it. Use a socket like already stated to install safely. My only point in posting was to make it clear that they will not always come out so easily, so be prepared. This was already said by others that have installed many of these, i.e., that they can be difficult.
  2. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    I was taught in the 60's - obviously superior teachers back then. :D
  3. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    As has been mentioned this is not a tough job. It will take some positive force to remove. If you tiptoe around it only takes more time and tools to accomplish. Seal pullers are not a tool I've ever owned. A medium slot screw driver was easily driven between the lens and outer lip, shop rag between shank and engine case and it popped out at an angle. When the the PO changed the first a few years back it may have been tougher. Don't overthink it, just change it. I did clean the bore with a shop rag and brakeclean but no sealant or lube. Stuff it home dry.

Rest assured that subsequent replacements get easier and don't leave home without one.

As for the design discussion think of this: would you open your motor in a dust storm to check a dipstick? Not likely, if you ride a GS just your oldlady check the sightglass.

Stop thinkin with yer dipsticks:D
    drcool
  4. bmdubyou

bmdubyou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank God for this forum and you smart guys! :clap Im in the middle of changing mine..its not coming out so now I'm loaded with some info...maybe it'll work now!
  5. Pekkavee

Pekkavee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. bmdubyou

bmdubyou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting! But I WANT mine to come out! I cant imagine that it would have EVER blown out... its wedged in so tight that Ive torn all the rubber out along the right side that I have nothing to pry against now and it has not budged. Im going to get my dremel & grind a spot that I can use to pry. this is NOT a 5 min job.:eek1
  7. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take your cordless drill and a little pointy screw.

Drill screw into middle of sight glass but only half way in.

Grab screw and yank it out.

The sight glass will have cracked.

With a pick pull out the pieces.

Find socket that matches the outside sight glass ring and gently tap it in place.

Once the sight glass is broken there should be hardly any resistance.
  8. 1fsttrk

1fsttrk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once you have the glass removed, put a small piece of wood under your seal puller. You can really mess the area around the engine case up with the seal puller.

I replaced mine the other day. The dealer showed me a special tool kit that BMW just sent them. Said it was almost $300.00. It has a lot of over complicated stuff to remove the glass.
  9. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add me to the "that thing was NOT easy to remove" list. It ended up coming out in many pieces. The plastic itself was in bits. Next, the shiny rear piece of metal come out all bent up. And finally, the metal/rubber ring that was left around the outside perimeter had to be pried out with some brute force. Thank goodness the new one went in much easier than the old one came out.
  10. Slug.go

Slug.go Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add me to the very difficult to remove lost. Tried everything mentioned here, two hours later I quit for now. Trying the Dremel approach tomorrow, now I'm worried about putting metal into the oil...SHEESH!!!!
  11. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:

Or maybe just a real teacher :D
  12. elgringo-inaz

elgringo-inaz El Gringo

Oddometer:
    Picked out pieces of broken plastic after trying the "drill small hole and pull out" approach...plastic cracked immediately, bike leaned over...slow, methodical...three hours...finally gave with a very small, 7 inch, crow bar / nail puller dug in and pried methodically around the edges of the metal seal. She finally gave. Did the 30 mm socket with extension approach to re-set. It seemed like it might have been replaced with a little glue or sealant the previous time...cleaned seat as much as possible, without scoring, before setting new seal...hope she holds....
  13. elgringo-inaz

elgringo-inaz El Gringo

Oddometer:
    So far so good...300 miles of good Mexico "topes" and cobblestone....no leaks yet! And wow, the glass / plastic is so clear! happy trails. Also, I did not drain oil, leaned bike over against a wall for the job. Definately started "sweating" once plastic shattered and realized "I get this fixed now or I am not going riding in the morning and this just turned into an oil change as well".
  14. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done only one of these and found it very easy to remove. I used a hot soldering iron to melt a hole in the window then used an allen key to pull it out. No splinters, no pieces. :*sip*
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done that, AND the bitch kind that was stuck so hard I thought the case would crack prying it out.:deal:lol3

Jim :brow
  16. snowymountainsmick

snowymountainsmick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 146,000+ kms on my bike with original glass. I never heard of anyone replacing a glass on any type of motorcycle before. I was looking at a youtube video by Chris Harris from Affordable Beemer Services and he mentioned it and a search got me back here.

Looks like I might be buying a new glass and a spare glass in the near future, just in case!

I probably would have gone through life not knowing about problematic sight glasses, but now that I am up to speed on it, I would be tempting fate not to be ready for it, haha!
  17. yellow 1150GS

yellow 1150GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced the first sight glass @ 87,000 miles as it was beginning to seep a little. Took about 1.5 hours before I finally figured out how to pry the seal part out. At 138,000 it started seeping again so I replaced it with the new glass one. Glad I did because the plastic lens had a small crack at the bottom that was almost completely hidden by the seal. Used a 3/4" wood chisel to lever the seal part out after removing the plastic lens. It was scary how easy it broke! Lucky I did not have a major issue on the road! I feel a lot better about the new on being glass after seeing how brittle that plastic one was.
  18. Pekkavee

Pekkavee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do what I did. So no worry about the sight glass flying away.
    [​IMG]

Pekka
    :eek1:eek1:eek1
    slime and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  19. DrWez

DrWez Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    How hard is it to remove the retaining ring on a 2010 R1200 GS adv sight glass?
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Easy as pie with a pair of circlip pliers. :deal