Oil turning black after just a few days

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sein, Mar 25, 2013.

1. sein

sein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an '06 TE610 and have done two oil changes on the bike since I bought it. Both times it has only taken a couple days (of street riding) before the oil in the sight glass was black again. Does anyone know if this is normal? How often do you change the oil in your thumpers? I'm used to changing the oil in my street bike whenever it starts to look too dark. Would prefer not to be changing my oil twice a week. :wink:

When I did the first change the old oil that came out had a lot of sediment in it, so I figured some of that may have still been left over which turned the first batch of fresh oil black. Figured the second batch would last longer, though.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    new oil is cleaning the old junk out. don't worry too much but maybe change sooner. run synthetic and after it's clean it will stay clean.
  3. sein

sein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, cool. That's what I was hoping, but figured it would be best to ask anyway.
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    It can depend on the bike. Other machines I've had have run fairly clean oil so I was a little worried when the oil in my brand new LC4 went black real quick after a change, good quality synth oil too. It always did after a service though, & that motor lived a long & happy life. Eventually I fully rebuilt it, every part of that engine was shiny clean inside & the oil still went black after a couple of rides, still does.

Sediment is not so good though, keep an eye on that.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    Any chance you didn't remove BOTH drain plugs when changing? It's also best to drain while the engine its warm, I let mine drain overnight to make sure as much of the old oil is out.
  6. Faken00b

Faken00b I might be...

Oddometer:
    What exactly does this mean? That you've changed the oil twice in 8 years, or that you bought it NOS sometime in the past year or less and twice changed the oil... or that you bought it used and the service history prior to you is a complete mystery?

Oil gets dark... from any number of sources. If you babied the bike for break-in and the rings didn't seat properly, you might be getting the majority of your contamination from combustion blow-by. Modern synthetic oil can take thousands of miles to "wear out" and can safely contain a substantial amount of contaminates before it does... and look as black as my heart and still be in good shape.

Forget mileage... it's a poor indicator of wear on a bike that is ridden on and off-road. A day of aggressive riding off-road can be the equivalent of a week or mores wear and tear from commuting to work. Get yourself and hour meter and use that to determine when your next oil change should occur.

C
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Oil will change colour due to heat. If your motor runs hot that will change the oils colour fast.
    Lean running, advanced timing and lack of air flow will all make a motor run hot.
    Synthetic oil will withstand higher temperatures than dino oil... so may last longer.

------------------ If you are worried by old oil contamination, put a cheap oil in and run that for say a days usage. Then change the oil again. Called flushing.
  8. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
  9. Idle

Idle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next oil change ride it hard to get it good and hot before dumping the oil immediately after shutting it off. Get your tools and dump bucket ready beforehand.

Also, lean the bike up against a post or the wall at a nice angle to help get most of the old oil out. You can't ever get all of it out and that's why it turns black quickly. I would do another change, based on the sediment/sludge comment.

Seems like the PO prolly was negligent on the oil changes. That tells me your valves need to be checked. Check the cam chain tensioner aswell.
  10. kenbob

kenbob Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer:
    Beverly Hills, Mt -swimmin pools,movie stars
    I have owned my own heavy equipment for 35 years - have bought a lot of used machines .

We have on occasion , put the plug in , and just poured , mebbe a gallon of diesel fuel in , let it sit a bit , and pull the plug . no start , just let it flow thru ! ..... as part of a oil change - drain the oil , put the plug back in - then pour some fuel in

Final drives on a dozer - we have turned em over with the engine, with fuel in there .

Will suprise you , how much crud comes out . Then maybe put in some cheap oil , run it a little and change that .

Used gas engine pickups - I would drop the oil out and put in diesel engine oil , with detergent , run that for several oil changes ....you can not believe the crud that comes out . Not sure about that in a bike - just because of the clutch ?

Good luck ! You are not the first person to go thru this

Ken