Oil Usage

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by kalexu, May 30, 2019.

1. kalexu

kalexu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I'm wondering how much oil does your bikes use between oil changes ? I don't know if im checking the oil correctly or mine is actually using/loosing alot of oil. But i think i might go to up to 300ml of oil / 1000km or so somtimes even more. I use 100% Synthetic 20w50 Motul 7100 Maybe it's the oil fault. Any thoughts ? ( bikes @ 75.000 km )
  2. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine at 70,000 miles hardly uses any, always check the level the same way. i.e warm, just after at least a 20 minute run, all the oil will then be scavenged from the sump and in the tank.

If you don't do the same thing each time the difference on the dipstick can be massive.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  3. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya need to ride bike for good ride before checking. Just starting and warming up bike is not enough to get accurate reading.
    Boatman and 1coolbanana like this.
  4. Wastedavid

Wastedavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hummm, actually I do like they say in the manual (power up, let run for some time until it reaches the 6th line, power off, check, on the central stand). I've been adding almost one quarter or something around from change to change, but it's been like that since I got it from new, all this time I've been checking the level the same way, sooo... don't know, I guess it's normal.