Ok I am putting new pipes on my 2 stroke

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Shocktower, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I got some Moto Carerra pipes, so do I need to change the exhaust, gaskets or just use the stock ones ( there are 2) :ear
  2. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    On my rd350, I've had both DGs and specIIs. I never used the donut gaskets, as their ID is a bit smaller than the exhaust port, and the bolt on flange. I have always just used the copper RTV, and it has always worked great. It has never blown out, as you might think it would. I squirt the stuff in the recess around the exhaust port before bolting on the flange. Then I bolt on the flange, an then reach in to the stub and smooth it all out. Then you need to use the same stuff on the slip joints where the pipe slides on to the stub. That's where they leak, and I have to renew that about once a month, or your engine will be covered in slimy, sooty ooze.
  3. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:

Hewy thank you, the ipes I have are only a 2 piece where the springs pull the pipe into the flange, that bolts to he cyclinders
  4. east high

east high Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where'd you score MC pipes? I had early specII pipes on my RD. It was a total light switch.
  5. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:

On another site for 2 strokes 300 for them they are in great shape they still make them several people do but they are 600-700
  6. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. Your pipes bolt on the same way as mine. There is a bolt on flange, which bolts to the cylinder. The pipe slips onto this flange and is held in place by springs. If you take a new exhaust donut seal, the metal/fiber one that crushes slightly when the flange is tightened, and put it into the recess in the exhaust port of the cylinder, you'll see that its ID is smaller than the exhaust port. That's why you shouldn't use it. It was meant to work with the stock pipes. Just smear the copper RTV in there. Sounds like you scored on those pipes. They're beautiful. Someone posted on 2 stroke world, a dyno test of specIIs vs MC millenniums. The MC's had a higher peak HP, and revved to the moon, but the SpecIIs had considerably more below 9K. Good luck. Have fun, and be patient when jetting it all in.
  7. bluebye

bluebye Skin it back

Oddometer:
    'neckville is where you hang your hat, Rolling
    RD400F's (daytona model) had a block that bolted to the cyls with a flapper valve for emmision reduction. Does yours still have this?
  8. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes it will be soon sitting in the parts box, with the stock carbs :puke1, I went Dualit ( go to JM and read about toasters ) and got me some Mikuni TM flat slides 28 mm :evil:evil.

I told the guys at Sudco what I had on my bike and they gave me a baseline set up hope it is good they do know carbs :clap
  9. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya the stockers where 3 piece got confused a bit :lol3