Ok so here is the plan

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by onesaintsfan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Going to set up the WR250R with a Garmin 60csx for riding Forrest Service roads and trails in N.GA this summer. I chose this unit because of the round rugged power cord for this unit. I plan on downloading suggested GPX tracks to this unit for riding around the Suches GA area while camping at heaven on earth TWoS. I have TOPO 100k and US Roads and rec CD( an old favorite). I really only need basic road maps . So my question is which map should I load onto this unit to explore the Forrest service roads around Suches. I’ve been looking at the GM500 in this forum and that looks really interesting. I have newer city navigator 2018, 2019 for my BMW NAV VI, but I’m sure these won’t work on this unit but don’t need detailed street maps anyway . Thanks in advance
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are riding National Forest roads, you should look into the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) for the Ranger Districts you will be riding in. The maps are free and available as paper or online digital files. By law they have to show all the roads and trails open to motorized vehicles.

If you had a Garmin Montana or probably others you could load these maps directly onto your GPS unit.

You can probably find them by searching on MVUM and the name of the forest.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    if only taking the 60csx and not a smartphone, print the mvum. the 60 will display cnna fine, but trying to look at a forty mile wide mvum is pointless on the tiny 60 screen. you can futs around with more topo maps, but the screen is too small really.

if you're taking a smartphone (a REALLY good idea) import the mvum , fishing, districts (etc) PDFs you can get ahold of. Georgia does a GREAT job of getting mvum data to the people, very highly detailed, color coded maps.

here's a screen shot of the west dohlonegda fishing district pdf overlayed on top of Google hybrid, with the sm500 tracks. you can get the ga mvum and many more from the official .gov website.
    Screenshot_2019-02-15-04-41-24.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-15-04-41-44.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-15-04-42-01.png

with the wr's fuel range and the north Georgia hills, you're going to have a GREAT time.
  4. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I have the 3.1 IMS tank with 1 gal rotopax. Yes do have a smartphone as well, just like a duarable hard mount GPS on a woods bike. I keep the phone in my pocket. Mainly the 60csx was just going to be used to follow a GPX track
  5. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Also check out gpsfiledepot.com.
    Motopsychoman likes this.