OK, so how much does a F800GS really weigh?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by earthroamer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Could one of you F800GS owners please weigh your bike for us. I've seen so many different specs on this, it would be nice to see something real-world.
  2. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B. a lot. thats my final answer.

sidenote; it sure doesn't feel like it though when riding.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    according to a greek bike mag, it is 219 kgs with a full tank. In the same issue, the 990 adv was measured to be 235 kgs.
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dry weight: 392 lbs

Fully fueled with engine oil (unladen): 455 lbs
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Griz, are those book specs or did you put it on a scale?
  6. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    62 pounds for fuel and oil. Must hold a LOT of gas:rofl

7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

and fork oil, shock oil, coolant and probably without the battery..sounds about right for dry weight.:dunno
  8. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Yup, 392 lbs is dry weight. Meaning no fluids (fuel, engine oil, fork oil, etc etc) and battery. Fluids are very heavy. Weigh a liter of water, you'll see what I mean!

455 lbs wet.

Book specs are usually right. They have to be legally. If some "magazine" weighs it and it comes out different, they're doing something wrong!
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

I would expect they are doing something wrong if they measure it lighter, not heavier, especially when we all know that they get $ under the table to provide positive comments. So did you properly weigh it yourself? The difference between 455 lb and 219 kgs is almost 30lb which is a lot of weight and the 8GS doesnt feel that light after all.
  10. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I did not properly weigh it myself as I don't have the proper scale to do so. These people who put their bike's front and rear tires on people scales and think they're getting an accurate measurement crack me up. You need a large scale, like a palette weighing scale or something that you can actually fit a motorcycle totally on. I'm just saying that what the manufacturers advertise as weight must legally be true. So the weights that they list are correct. No need to weigh personally. If BMW lists 392 dry and 455 wet, then it's 392 dry and 455 wet. It's a legal thing. And I know it's 63 lbs difference, but again, fluids are heavy! (fuel, engine oil, suspension front and rear fluids, coolant) (1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs.)
  11. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    then you believe the 650 is 377 dry ? so it not only makes more power in the midrange but it is lighter too!!! cool!!!:lol3
  12. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    is wet explicitly defined as with full tank? Just asking because the difference between my figure and yours, corresponds to exactly a tankful.
    Two other points to make (maybe I am wrong of course on the second), a) the weight stated was measured with three digital scales (wheels and stand) and b) I am not sure whether accurate weight is a legal requirement.
    In any case, unless solid proof of the opposite, I prefer to trust john's bathroom scales than commercial brochures.
  13. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    its like the 85 hp thing----rotax tuned 1 up after they made it and got 85 hp at the countershaft---told bmw so the bike makes 85hp---not at the rear wheel but ?
  14. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I know positively that manufacturers have to state exact weight of their motorbikes to federal government, and must advertise the same weight. And no, BMW and other manufacturers DO NOT measure the weight of their bikes with three digital human weighing scales! HAHA! They do it with actual large-item palette-sized scales.
  15. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reference? Source?

Advertising an unrealistic dry weight has been something that the motorcycle mfgs have been doing for decades to varying degrees. And there is no way to explain the discrepancies between what bikes actually weigh in magazines tests vs. the ridiculous brochure weights by adding the weight of fluids - the discrepancies have been much more than this. For example, for the last decade the mfgs have been saying the 600 Supersports are around 360-lbs dry, but when the magazines test them with a 1/2 tank of fuel, they're about 410 and you can't explain 50-lbs by a couple gallons of fuel, engine oil, and fork oil. Dry weights are like crankshaft hp - something thunk up by the marketing departments.

Lately, many mfgs, particularly the Japanese, have been reversing this trend by advertising "curb weight" or "wet weight" and the numbers are much more realistic, if not spot on. For example, the numbers on Suzuki's site have generally gone up 50-75 lbs across the board when they advertise curb weights and they match the magazine test weights. Bravo to Suzuki. My take is that the Euro bikes are continuing to fudge the numbers (the GS weights all look unrealistic to me compared to magazine tests), although I haven't done a formal survey.

Almost all the magazine tests weigh the bikes. Believe these numbers and take the mfgs claims with a grain of salt until things sort out.

- Mark
  16. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    Oh boy......

It's right there on the BMW national website. F800GS technical data.

"Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 455 lbs (207 kg)"

follow the "1"

"1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at <b>least 90% of usable tank volume</b>"

:deal
  17. The Griz

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine that works at a certain motorcycle manufacturer's corporate headquarters here in America said that after a certain year manufacturers legally had to start listing the actual weights. European manufacturers fudging their weights is simply not true, due to European Union standards. The reason magazine's listed weights are typically different is because they don't use accurate means of measurement. Again, human scales are not accurate in measuring a motorcycle's weight!

At the end of the day, though, I recommend not worrying about weight so much and just ride your bike!!:ricky
  18. The Griz

Oddometer:
    You are correct, Nemesis. There are government standards. They are even more stringent in the European Union!
  19. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    But my original post was "have you weighed your F800GS". I wanted to avoid a discussion of whether the manufacturer specs are correct or not. I'm not interested. I am interested in anyone's actual measurements and how you measured. Maybe you don't think that you can weigh a bike accurately but many of us would like this information to make the judgment ourselves. I know for myself, I have compared my bathroom scales with the ones at the doctors and find them to be within 1%. That's close enough for me. As I said, not really interested if someone else thinks this is useless information.
  20. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The search engine seems to be down right now, or my computer is on crack again. Either way there was a thread on weight in maybe Nov or Dec of last year. I looked and was unable to find it, but someone in that thread had actually put the bike on an idustrial scale and got an accurate weight with the center stand, crash bars, skidplate, handguards and whatever installed. I recall the number was markedly higher than the book spec, but can't remember the figure. Hopefully that fellow(s) will chime in for you.